Skip to main content
Topic: 3D printed case for the Thermal Tweeter? (Read 18750 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 3D printed case for the Thermal Tweeter?

Reply #45
Thank you. I added the files to SVN here:
http://code.google.com/p/dangerous-prot ... 280&r=1280

I also upped the attachment limit to 1.5meg and upped the max number to 6. Now that we have own server it shouldn't be a problem to have some bigger attachments.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #47
Cool! 3D CAD files may take lots of space, even when they are not complex.

Managed to open dxf files Ian? You might want to group them together on a sheet. My machine shop sensei told me a trick: When you finally form the file to be cut, don't use it directly. Instead open another file and first copy the holes and other inner cuts, then copy the outside cuts and use this new file. This way you will be sure that the holes are where they are supposed to be, not shifted by 0.* mm or so.

Reply #48
My fab lab was closed for the rest of summer so I send this out to Pololu. It arrived today. Here's the fit picture, looks perfect. I probably can't really assemble it until tomorrow, but I'll get to it by next week and do a blog post about it.

Reply #49
Looks like a perfect fit! Is it made of wood?

BTW you should use less aperture to get more focussed :)

Reply #50
I don;t know what any of those words mean ;)

It is laser cut acrylic, but I have not removed the protection yet.

Reply #51
[quote author="ian"]I don;t know what any of those words mean ;)
[/quote]

Set your camera to Av and adjust the aperture to a higher number. This will increase the shuttertime, but will get more details into focus.

Reply #52
Hmmm, looks sweet! Did you check out the hole alignments for the PCB?

Reply #53
I assembled it properly this past Friday, here's a photo.

The printer fits perfectly and provides a lot of stability itself.

The web platform holes were aligned properly from front to back, but there wasn't quite enough space from side to side. I used my little drill press to extend the holes to the side a bit and everything worked out great.

It is fairly loose, probably from the cutter tolerance. The case rumbles and jiggles around while the printer is going :) I am going to add one or two long screws length-wise to hold the sides together tighter. In the long run this will probably break the case, but it will get us through the exhibition which is the important part.

Thanks again Tayken, this is beautiful work and it would never have happened without your help. They did not raster etch your name in the side, but I will have a poster for the event and I will credit you with the case design. Would you like a link or affiliations listed?

Reply #54
Sorry, forgot the picture

Reply #55
[quote author="ian"]I assembled it properly this past Friday, here's a photo.
[/quote]
That picture looks good. I guess it turned out better than I expected.

[quote author="ian"]The web platform holes were aligned properly from front to back, but there wasn't quite enough space from side to side. I used my little drill press to extend the holes to the side a bit and everything worked out great.
[/quote]
This was one of my worries. How much was it off? Maybe some larger holes (sth like 4mm diameter) can solve this problem if other people decide to build it.

[quote author="ian"]It is fairly loose, probably from the cutter tolerance. The case rumbles and jiggles around while the printer is going :) I am going to add one or two long screws length-wise to hold the sides together tighter. In the long run this will probably break the case, but it will get us through the exhibition which is the important part.
[/quote]
That is cutter tolerance + material etched by laser alright. One solution can be to use some model adhesive (makes acrylic cloudy) or some adhesive for acrylic in some key places. A few drops will fix the structure, however, you won't be able to disassemble it again without the risk of breaking it. If you just use adhesive on the surfaces of connector pieces, that should fix it without affecting the visuality too much IMO.

[quote author="ian"]Thanks again Tayken, this is beautiful work and it would never have happened without your help. They did not raster etch your name in the side, but I will have a poster for the event and I will credit you with the case design. Would you like a link or affiliations listed?
[/quote]
Anytime Ian! :) That etch was kind of a long shot but no problem. You can give a link to my website if you want, but just a "Dangerous Prototypes forum member" or anything else like that is OK.

Reply #56
It was only off a few MM. You could see the holes through the vias, but not attach a bolt through it. A longer oblong cut would work well too, then you would have some tolerance for adjusting where the bolts go.