Skip to main content
Topic: MPLAB X status (Read 12263 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: MPLAB X status

Reply #15
thanks all for replying :o)
i did read few threads on microchip's forum and i finally decide to stay on  MPLab...
MPLab v8.63 and my pk3 work fine for me for now for my few evening pic programming hobbies :o)
I still have a lot of thinks to explore on pics them-self :o)

Reply #16
[quote author="voidptr"]i did read few threads on microchip's forum and i finally decide to stay on  MPLab...
MPLab v8.63 and my pk3 work fine for me for now for my few evening pic programming hobbies :o)[/quote]
Well, since you have the pk3 already, it seems like you're set to try out MPLAB X if you want, according to my interpretation of the comments here.  I'm still stuck with a handful of official pk2 and clone programmers.  :-(

Reply #17
void* it really depends on what os you use and what pic's you program and in what language. if you use windows with C18 or C30 or C32 or hitech then you can slowly migrate to mplabX but there's no rush, mplab8 works ok. If you are using some other compiler then stay with mplab8 as integration is not fully completed with mplabx (ssc c for e.g.). If you are on linux or osx - move to mplabX immediately (that why I moved) as wine is just too much hassle and mplabx works like a charm.

Note that mplab is discontinued and mplabX is the future, so sooner you start the move, easier it is going to be. I personally like the way mplabX works much more then mplab8, but I never used simulation inside mplab anyhow (and that is the thing that does not work properly yet) and I do use netbeans every day for programming outside embedded market ... (if they chose eclipse instead of netbeans I'd not be that happy)

Reply #19
Finally an update for OSX! Yesterday new XCode4 and today this :)

Reply #20
you can get pickit2 clone from bill (blueroomelectronics) that works flawlessly on mplabx on linux (as pickit2) or build usb pickit2 clone yourself, but investing into pickit3 is reasonable too. I for e.g. have both pk2 and pk3 and I use pk3 only with pic32mx and I use pk2 with all other pic's (as it actually works faster then pk3 in normal work)

Reply #21
I got my pickit3 clone from sure electronics and it does work fine with MPLABX and MPLAB 8.

The quality is mediocre but it does it job.

Reply #22
donno if Bill continued development on the junebug (pickit2 clone with some demo board). I don't have his direct contact anywhere near me now but you can easily contact him trough http://www.electro-tech-online.com/memb ... onics.html he is active on that forum every day so a PM there will get you in touch with him (also that is very good forum with huge amount of experienced microchip users)

Anyhow, pk2 is getting discontinued so if you are going to purchase a new tool I suggest you go with pk3. Check the price difference between original and clone (sure sells clone iirc) and make a decision if you want to go with original or with clone :) (imho if clone is 20+% cheaper - go with clone)