Skip to main content
Topic: Free PCB build (Read 1995 times) previous topic - next topic

Free PCB build

About a year ago I received a free PCB and assembled the circuit. Now it works nicely as mood lamp and I decided to share the result.

First, here is a photo of the circuit sitting in a plastic box from business cards:

[attachment=3]

The first version of the "LED pod" I built for proof of concept. It looks really ugly, but did its job:

[attachment=2]

The LEDs came originally in crystal clear packages, so I sanded them with some fine sandpaper in order to make them "diffused" to better blend the different colours. I used 4 Red, 4 Green and 4 Blue LEDs for this proof of concept board.

After a while I decided to make the LED pod a little bit brighter, so I bought from eBay some PCBs like this one:

[attachment=1]

This took me about half a day to build due to the time required to "diffuse" all 24 LEDs :)

From the proof of concept board I noticed the red colour is noticeably dimmer compared to the other two, so this time I just doubled the red LEDs and the new LED pod now contains 6 green, 6 blue and 12 red LEDs.

And here is how the finished mood lamp looks now:

[attachment=0]

The globe is from an Ikea lamp I bought cheaply (something like £5) and blends the LED colours nicely.

Re: Free PCB build

Reply #1
Nice work. A free PCB code is on the way :)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.