Skip to main content
Topic: [SUGG.] DP bench integration board (Read 809 times) previous topic - next topic

[SUGG.] DP bench integration board

I know this would probably never take wind, but its an Idea I like to share.

It would be Board that integrates bench top DP projects, like bus pirate, bus blaster, OSLS, the DSO, the upcoming PS...

the board would have a usb hub, and powersupply distribution.

for this to work there would have to be some changes/or not to existing DP PCB. the idea is to have all the DP projects have an extension to their PCB  for a PCI type board to board interface.
and for them all to be able to plug into the integration board, like pci cards plug into a motherboard.

the point is that all the diferent PCB would still retain their mobility in the sence that they could alwasy be unpluged from the integration board and be standalone products, with their own power supply and usb conectivity.

ofcourse this could be done even today with a usb hub and a powersuply board that would have all the conections made trough wires, but that would look like a Big mess of wires,
best regards FIlip.

Re: [SUGG.] DP bench integration board

Reply #1
Mutli-purpose boards are really cool. In general though, it is much much cheaper to slap on a dedicated USB chip and make a complete board than it is to make a series of parts and ship them together.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Re: [SUGG.] DP bench integration board

Reply #2
[quote author="ian"]Mutli-purpose boards are really cool. In general though, it is much much cheaper to slap on a dedicated USB chip and make a complete board than it is to make a series of parts and ship them together.[/quote]

i second this, for things that can't be reconfigured with firmware, combining more than one piece of hardware together tends to introduce noise or interference. example i don't want to have noise from an signal generator to show up in an oscilloscope or logic analyzer.