Skip to main content
Topic: MSP430 Bedside Table Alarm Clock (Read 30322 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: MSP430 Bedside Table Alarm Clock

Reply #15
i'll get it figured out.  ccs and iar are not my cup of tea. i don't like windows either.  thanks for your help.

Reply #17
Since the CCS company has only a C compiler for PIC MCUs and my alarm clock uses an MSP430, I think there is no ambiguity :)

Reply #18
I use a lot of CCS C (for pic) in last few days and when I seen you wrote CCS here I was super confused (as I don't remember they make compiler for anything but pic :D and I never seen code composer being referred as CCS). I tried code composer few years ago and decided that I'm not paying that much money for eclipse gui and gcc compiler when I can get those for free. I will *never* understand why hw manufacturers try to reduce their user base trying to sell dev tools for too much money... I understand 3rd party tools, but darn, both microchip, TI, motorola ... they all try to charge arm and a leg for a darn compiler .. not that I can use TI code composer to write program for PIC or vice versa :( ...

Reply #19
Hi Markus,

That is awesome,.. After seeing ur's i decided to do one with a slight modification. But iv just started learning to program a mocrocontroller. Fortunately i have an MSP430 Launch Pad Kit and also avr too.
Im trying to figure out your code from the scratch. i know its hard if im new to it. though im trying to split them down and identify jigsaw piceses at first then lately to put them together. at certain points i feel completely new/landed on a different planet. will work deadly on it to understand it.

i need help on schematic level like, how u'v connected the shift register to the MSP & crystal oscillator to the MSP & the pdb level layout if possible,.. im sorry if i trouble you by asking silly and dumb questions, but as i mentoned earlier im new to this microcontroller programming and also to build a bord that has a microntroller on it (essential connections to be made like crystal oscillator, capicators, resistors to the device and vcc/GND all etc,.)

As i mentioned at the very begining that a slight modification that clicked my mind, here it goes - known to me a pizo electric senser is aslo a buzzer right ,.?! im not sure its correct but just a sugesstion. pizzo buzzer has a pizo crystal in it - when faces electric field their structure gets disturbed and inturn produces "buzz" - it should also has a reverse process then - prodece some signal when there is a vibration right,.?!? if then cant we make it as an input device as well as output and make them to display time while the clock is in sleep mode by producing some king of sound or noice or any thing,.. I have a very little knowledge about circuits. I dont know that this is correct,.. can u help me to figure out this,..

Reply #20
Hello, I am a student and have taken interest in your project. When I tried to use your code to test out my clock, it turned out that I couldn't use it because you did it in C++. I tried to figure out how to make a C++ project but had no luck. Can you please  send me or post a list of instructions to get your code up and running (I am using CCS v5).
            Thanks,
                          Justin

Reply #21
When it comes to our comfort zone, bedside tables are a must. Books, glasses, eye-drops, beautiful alarm clock ect.

Regards,
funique

Reply #22
Looks great Markus, I might have to build this just to find out what the tune is.

Not sure it would help but perhaps replacing the modulo arithmetic might help the code compile smaller.

++hour;if(hour==24){hour=0;}

instead of

hour=++hour%24;

etc.

Reply #23
Good idea, thanks.  I tried it, and your suggested change saves about 8 Bytes at each occurrence.  Spoiler ahead: If you look into the source code, there is a YouTube link to the tune used :)