Skip to main content
Topic: Pitch Shifter (Transposer) (Read 25932 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pitch Shifter (Transposer)

Reply #16
why not get proper wrapping wire?

http://uk.farnell.com/roadrunner/rrp-12 ... /dp/967348
and refils:
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/produc ... KU=5017233

The way it works is that "coating" is heat resistant until 360-400C (depends on the type of wire) so you normally use it, and when you want to solder it just push the temp of your iron up, tin the wire at any spot you like (works in the middle too) and reduce temp to what you normally solder with and solder the wire. Since coating is heat resistant even when you go to 400C with your wire the coating will be removed only where you touch it with iron so it is possible to wire a very fine pitch chip ...

Reply #17
[quote author="arhi"]why not get proper wrapping wire?[/quote]

I think we already talk about the same thing.

Reply #18
[quote author="Markus Gritsch"]I think we already talk about the same thing.[/quote]

Are you sure as

[quote author="Markus Gritsch"]Melting it away really only works from the end of the wire.  Heating it up in the middle seems only to melt the coating, but it stays on the wire, so no contact with the tin is made.
[/quote]

does not apply to the wrapping wire I linked from farnell? You touch it with 400C solder in the middle of the wire - it removes the coating and tins the wire.

Maybe it's the same thing only you are using iron that's not hot enough so you don't kill the PU fast enough .. The pic you linked looked like you are using the softer thicker wire

Reply #19
[quote author="arhi"]Maybe it's the same thing only you are using iron that's not hot enough so you don't kill the PU fast enough[/quote]

Yes, because turning the temperature up to 400, wait until it gets hot enough, melt the PU, turn the temperature down, wait until its 350 again and solder the part is not my preferred workflow for fast prototyping :)  Melting the PU from the ends at 350 works fine for me, and I can solder the part in the same step without waiting.

Reply #20
Well I solder most stuff at below 300C as I use solder with lead. Going to 400C from 260C takes 2-3 seconds ... but I do prefer to use 2 soldering irons as tip develops ugly black gue on top of it at 400C so I keep one iron with old tip at 400C and main one at 260C .. works like a charm :D

Reply #21
Excellent idea.  I think I will have to get a second iron too, since the gue really starts to annoy me.  I tried this silly lead-free solder which
* requires a higher soldering temperature,
* leads, because of this higher temperature, and because of the different flux to the black gue you described,
* contains flux which produces more poisonous fumes (at least I read that somewhere) than the rosin flux found in leaded solder.

So a second iron and good old leaded solder it has to be :)

Reply #22
I actually "made the second iron myself" :) ... and I plan to revise the electronics and add some PI[D] control to firmware when I come back from vacation in august. Attm it works great and accepts hakko pencils (i actually use some cheap hakko clone pencils that I get for cca 10E a piece but they work great :D) but I want to change the 3 button design to a rotary encoder with button and I want to add PI[D] control as that way I can keep the tip dead on even when soldering big pieces...

Reply #23
[quote author="arhi"]Well I solder most stuff at below 300C as I use solder with lead. Going to 400C from 260C takes 2-3 seconds ... but I do prefer to use 2 soldering irons as tip develops ugly black gue on top of it at 400C so I keep one iron with old tip at 400C and main one at 260C .. works like a charm :D[/quote]

i have an old weller wp-40  that i use for larger components, has a swttch that runs the ac through a diode for "low power mode" it does not regulate temp. but is a decent standby

[quote author="ian"]@Markus - I know this is an old thread, but how do you remove the enamel from the wire you're using for prototyping? I bought some 'enameled wire', but it is a pain to remove the coating. I tried a knife to scrape it off, and also a bit of sand paper.[/quote]

i have used an x-acto to scrape the wire, time consuming. i have tried a mini torch to melt/burn the insulator away, however it is much more messy than i like. ill try the solder ball trick next time.

Reply #24
i know it has been some time since this project was developed, but i'm interested in doing it myself. since i'm a newbie in the world of programming in would like to know, what am i supposed to do with those two phyton files (crossfade.py and scale.py) included in rar archive.

any help will be greatly appreciated.:)

Reply #25
crossfade.py was used to check how the crossfade method performed on two test sine waves.
scale.py generates the values to transpose the data according to the musical scale.

You don't need to run them yourself.

Reply #26
thank you for the reply!
so i simply upload hex generated from main.c file and that's it? is it okay if i compile using mikroc or some other software?

Reply #27
No, you have to use Microchips C30 and MPLAB IDE to get it to compile without modifications.

Reply #28
Hi,

Could this project be modified ,to take audio file in an SDcard as input, instead of actual audio input signal,thus avoiding input sampling ?
    Also,  How far AVR chips  are suitable to do job like this?  Your thoughts please.
Thanks.

manmachine.

Reply #29
Hi,

Could this project be modified ,to take audio file in an SDcard as input, instead of actual audio input signal,thus avoiding input sampling ?
    Also,  How far AVR chips  are suitable to do job like this?  Your thoughts please.
Thanks.

manmachine.

Sorry, double post. Please delete,Thanks.