Skip to main content
Topic: Brand new OLS (boot)loader tool - Windows and Linux (Read 123458 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Brand new OLS bootloader tool - Windows and Linux

Reply #30
[quote author="zelea2"]
Also please update the example for the APP mode because it's easier to paste the command with the mouse.
[/quote]

What do you mean ?

Reply #31
The example cannot be made simple to use. I should be as pointer, but i cannot determine the port of your OLS. If it's harder to copy, it will make you think more about what you are actually doing.

Reply #32
Hi,
I build the latest version of the tool from scratch, and the command below killed my OLS completely. 
Code: [Select]
wayoda@rebooter:~/lab/ols/code/ols-fwloader$ ./ols-fwloader -f BOOT -n -P /dev/OpenLogicSniffer -V -W -w ../../downloads/updates/OLSv1-FW2.1-final-1/OLSv1-firmware-v2.1.hex  
Found OLS HW: 1, FW: 0.6, Boot: 1
Found flash: ATMEL AT45DB041D
OLS switched to bootloader mode
Bootloader version 0.2.2
Bootloader version 0.2.2
Erasing flash ...
Reading file '../../downloads/updates/OLSv1-FW2.1-final-1/OLSv1-firmware-v2.1.hex'
file won't fit into buffer :(
Writing flash ... (0x0800 - 0x0000)
Protecting bootloader - skip @0x3be0
Checking flash ...
Verify failed :(
The OLS is not even enumerated on the USB any more, so I guess the bootloader was erased/overwritten??
I did not set the [tt:]-t HEX[/tt:] flag. Could that be the reason for failure?
Wouldn't it make sense to check the file-format (using the extension and/or the well defined IntelHex Format) in future releases?

But having a combined tool for both update procdures is definatly the right way.

I do have a second board, so I'm not really worried, but how do I restore my broken board now?
I guess I need a PIC programmer?
Here in Germany the currently offer the "PICkit 3 Debug Express it 3" at a discount price, any advice on buying this one?
(I would go for a BusPirate and the Programmer-Adapter, but I'd have to order the Programmer-Adapter from China. When I ordered the 2 OLS boards last year, they where hostages of the German Customs for 2 weeks. So much for globalization when its NOT about exporting stuff from Germany.)

Eberhard

Reply #33
You can get a Bus Pirate from Watterot or ehajo in .de if you don't have one. The 18F24J50 on the OLS does NOT require the HVP adapter, you can program it directly.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #34
[quote author="ian"]
You can get a Bus Pirate from Watterot or ehajo in .de if you don't have one. The 18F24J50 on the OLS does NOT require the HVP adapter, you can program it directly.
[/quote]
Thanks Ian, great news! I'd rather support DG then.

Eberhard

Reply #35
You have not killed your bootloader !, just use jumper to enter bootloader and upload the firmware again. using correct format.

I have made HEX default format, but the changes didn't make it to github. Sorry about that!.

Edit: Precompiled versions have default type set to HEX

Reply #36
Hi, robots
[quote author="robots"]
You have not killed your bootloader !, just use jumper to enter bootloader and upload the firmware again. using correct format.

I have made HEX default format, but the changes didn't make it to github. Sorry about that!.

Edit: Precompiled versions have default type set to HEX
[/quote]
Right, it's alive again.
It was a bit of surprise to me (but obvious when you think about it), that the OLS disappeared completely from the USB.

Eberhard

P.S. Ian will be happy to hear that I ordered the BP anyway

Reply #37

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to push unneeded hardware. Did you get a probe cable? I can send you a free one.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #38
[quote author="ian"]

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to push unneeded hardware. Did you get a probe cable? I can send you a free one.
[/quote]
Nothing to be sorry about Ian, I ordered after repairing the OLS. I have good use for the BP.
Thanks for the probe cable offer, but I'm using breadboard patchcables most of the time.

Eberhard

Re: Re: Brand new OLS bootloader tool - Windows and Linux

Reply #39
I've been testing the ols-combined tool a bit. Attached are two patches that I've created to improve it:

• reading "extended linear address" records (0x04) caused CRC errors due weird pointer math;
  • first read the entire data file + checksum calculation before erasing the device will leave the device in a workable state when the datafile is corrupt or incompatible.

HtH,
when good software is not an alternative...

Reply #40
Thanks for testing :-) I have pushed the changes to github.

(I changed the spaces to tabs to be consistent.)

Reply #41
I'm in the lab now, finally done with my gruesome project course. I will test it tonight and see how it goes. Anything I should watch for in particular? Any tests that you recommend?

Reply #42
nothing specific, but if you find anything anoying/not working/worth improvement let me know.

Reply #43
Got the following output:

Code: [Select]
tayken@tayken-eee:~/Downloads/robots-ols-fwloader-42550c9$ ./ols-fwloader -V -W -w ../ols-firm/OLSv1-firmware-v2.1.hex 
Bootloader version 0.2.2
Bootloader version 0.2.2
Erasing flash ...
Writing flash ... (0x0800 - 0x0000)
Protecting bootloader - skip @0x3be0
Checking flash ...
Verify failed :(

Cannot connect to my OLS now. But I'll fix it using the regular tools.

Reply #44
Are you sure you are using the latest git version ? (the one in ols-combined branch)

The latest version wont erase flash when file not loaded, and does have hex as default filetype.