Skip to main content
Topic: Pic24fj64gb002 (Read 17627 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pic24fj64gb002

Reply #15
[quote author="sqkybeaver"]
you could always get a pickit http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories
i only spent 20 on mine
[/quote]

That would be cheating. If you would reflash the pickit2/3 with buspirate firmware on the contrary...

Reply #16
it would be nice to be able to rescue a bad pickit update
i wonder if a simple bp firmware would work in a pikit2? have only used mine on pics so far.

Reply #17
you could always get a pickit http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories
i only spent 20 on mine
[/quote]

I think for this chip i would have needed a pickit 3. cheapest i've seen for a genuine one of those was more than $30 + S&H
I'm very cash limited (see poor in the dictionary :P ) so i bought a bus pirate instead since it would be multifunction

Reply #18
mine was in a kit form. bare pcb no case. i don't know if it is worth building our own clone, probably could be done a little cheaper.

Reply #19
mine was in a kit form. bare pcb no case. i don't know if it is worth building our own clone, probably could be done a little cheaper.
[/quote]

is there anything a pickit clone can do that a bus pirate cant? or bus pirate + hvp adapter for those chips

Reply #20
i am unaware if the buss pirate can debug pics, as i use that feature often.
if your only programing sure the bp would be fine.

Reply #21
[quote author="sirus"]
I think for this chip i would have needed a pickit 3. cheapest i've seen for a genuine one of those was more than $30 + S&H
I'm very cash limited (see poor in the dictionary :P ) so i bought a bus pirate instead since it would be multifunction
[/quote]

Pickit2 can program PIC24/dsPIC33 families. Only PIC32 family is not supported as I know.

Reply #22
Bus Pirate PIC programming support it just emerging, so I would say the PICkit2 will do one thing the Bus Pirate cannot: program PICs ;)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #23
... also, the Bus Pirate is slower at this than a dedicated programmer.  If you already have the Bus Pirate, are strapped for cash, and have time to spare, then it's no problem.  But if you're looking at buying something and will be focused on PIC development, then the PICkit is probably a faster, more reliable choice.  It all depends upon what you're doing and how frequently.  I have a whole handful of programmers because they can break, and I never want to be stuck without a working one.  In that respect, the Bus Pirate makes a great backup tool in a pinch (for just about any task, not just programming).

Reply #24
maybe we could eventually work our way to simple debug if it will fit in firmware. maybe the pickit3 would be a better choice to look at, i am waiting for microchips firmware to mature for it.

Reply #25
[quote author="tayken"]
Pickit2 can program PIC24/dsPIC33 families. Only PIC32 family is not supported as I know.
[/quote]

PICkit2 supports programming the PIC32 family - you need to use the standalone PICkit2 software (not MPLAB).

Reply #26
i did not know it will program some chips it will not debug!
at least it was cheaper than my Silabs debugger.

Reply #27
[quote author="ian"]
Bus Pirate PIC programming support it just emerging, so I would say the PICkit2 will do one thing the Bus Pirate cannot: program PICs ;)
[/quote]

Pffft details details .... ;)

let's get that fixed lol

Reply #28
Patch created with
Code: [Select]
svn diff --diff-cmd diff -x "-i -b" > 24FJ64GB002
should be able to apply with
Code: [Select]
patch -p0 < 24FJ64GB002

not sure though never actually made one of these before. only applied them