Skip to main content
Topic: PIC Based Arduinos (Read 6216 times) previous topic - next topic

PIC Based Arduinos

Pinguino

Pinguino is an Arduino-like board based on a PIC Microcontroller. The goal of this project is to build an integrated IDE easy to use on LINUX, WINDOWS and MAC OS X ... One of its inconveniences are a no native USB interface on the chip and its code length.

The IDE of Pinguino is built with Python. An integrated preprocessor translates specific Arduino instructions directly into C ... Pinguino hardware is based on a 18F2550. This chip has an integrated native USB module and an UART for serial link.

Finally the Pinguino IDE is a stand alone application with a C compiler (SDCC), assembler and linker (GPUTILS) and a bootloader based on the PUF VASCO project.

Re: Pinguino (PIC MCU)

Reply #1
Ian reported about the Pinguino on the DP blog in April.

Pinguino is a great concept ... I tested it with a PIC18F4550 based board and was surprised how well the integration
of the Arduino IDE, the SDCC and GPUTILs has progressed. It's a real open source environment (makes no use of the
Microchip toolchain) and all PIC fans who always wanted an Arduino-like PIC18 environment should give it a try.

Re: Pinguino (PIC MCU)

Reply #2
FreeJALduino 5

http://sites.google.com/site/funlw65/electronics/jaluino-pinguino-28-pins-starting-bo/freejalduino-5

This is an improved design and the last for 18F2550 microcontroller. The board is ready to use SPI and I2C Arduino shields, both in software mode. The Arduino compatibility is better than for my first board but the board is also bigger than previous one.

It can be programmed with JAL language, Pinguino IDE ... and any other language which support USB access ...

Features:

- Arduino connectors,  and this time, [Digital 13] pin is available.
- A supplementary connector to overcome 100millis problem on shields connectors.
- 5Vcc regulator on board.
- 3.3Vcc regulator on board.
- Shields can be powered directly from USB (I don't recommend that and I'm not responsible for any damage your board can do to your PC or whatever) or from external power, which can be set from green jumper.
- Green LED for power indicator (both USB and external source).
- Red LED which can be connected (via blue jumper) to [Digital 13] pin (Arduino compatibility) or [Digital 2] pin (RA4 - Pinguino compatibility), or, jumper can be removed to let the LED disconnected. The red LED can be used for "Blink a LED" test, without the need of external components or breadboard. Also, it can be used as bootloader indicator.
- USB full speed, direct connection (USB cable A to B - use a printer USB cable).
- PIC18F2550 controller, 32Kb of Flash program memory, 2Kb of RAM, 256bytes EEPROM, 19 available digital input/outpus, from which 10 of them can be analog inputs, etc. (see the datasheet).
- RESET push-button.
- ICSP connector, compatible to Pickit2 programmer.
- DC connector for 7Vcc to 12Vcc (recommended, but can be a maximum of... see LM7805 limits).
- 20MHz crystal (the board can be internally clocked at 48MHz resulting a 12MIPS speed).

Re: PIC Based Arduinos

Reply #4
One Crazy Arduino

Microchip PIC on Arduino with Jaluino Cuckoo
Jaluino Cuckoo Meets Arduino
Jaluino Cuckoo and Arduino: First Surgery

What about mimicing  Baby Cuckoo and pushing ATMega chip out of Arduino ? Then plug a tiny board with a Microchip PIC. This is a fast way, even if not the most rewarding one, to get an Arduino clone, isn't it ? And a nice way to take advantage of existing boards and features.

So, Jaluino Cuckoo is very small board aimed to be plugged instead of original ATMega168, on an Arduino board.