Skip to main content
Topic: Moving day (Read 3390 times) previous topic - next topic

Moving day

My workspace has been in the corner of a room since I started Dangerous Prototypes. We're really good about keeping costs down :)

Over the last few days I've been moving to a bigger room. Once I get a good panoramic shot during the day I'll post a large one on flicker. This is were I solder most of our prototypes, mail free PCB sunday stuff, etc.

Some highlights:
*floor to ceiling shelving for parts and prototype storage
*separate area for soldering and building
*photo studio is right next to the PC for easier demos, live photo proofs, quicker in-progress pics and updates
*much larger debugging area next to the PC
*chill/meeting area with a couch

New tables and furniture are being delivered. A ton of stuff sits in boxes behind the camera :)

Cool stuff I plan to do:
*More live casts and in-progress videos
*Setup a quick dispenser for the 20 most common parts for our projects (instead of the 'pile' method I currently employ)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Re: Moving day

Reply #1
you are lucky to have a dedicated room to work in, my workstation at home consists of a small desk and a single bookshelf, luckily i have a closet with shelves where most of my less worked on projects reside.

Reply #2
A corner is a great place to start though :) That's all the space DP had until a few days ago, and we've got half-a-dozen people on the payroll.

Reply #3
Every workingspace needs a chill area ;)

Where is the large coffeemachine or redbull dispenser?

Reply #4
[quote author="Sjaak"]
Every workingspace needs a chill area ;)

Where is the large coffeemachine or redbull dispenser?
[/quote]
i keep it in the kitchen, had one too many unintentional keyboard replacements!

Reply #5
There is a Senseo machine, but I don't personally drink caffeine (it makes me jittery).

Reply #6
Prerequisite shrubbery I see.
"Too many projects, so little time"

Reply #7
Looking cool!

I have a long but small table. On right side sits my computer and soldering stuff (also I watch movies while eating, I know lead bad for health but I don't put my chopsticks on the table), on the left general storage areas (read piles of stuff in boxes).

The bad thing is that in one month or two I'll move out to an apartment and will have smaller space to work. Maybe I can get (make?) myself and L shaped table for studying and working on stuff.

Reply #8
this is where I work: http://elco.crsndoo.com/wordpress/wp-co ... _19691.jpg (note - it is big image)
it is in the corner of my living room :) behind me is the sofa, chairs ... where ppl sit when they come to visit ... I use this for all my regular work and for my hobby (electronics) ... everything on the picture is big so to put things into perspective that is a 25" monitor on the desk and width of the table is 220cm (depth is 160iirc don't have meter near me to check) ..  and yes I do have a wife and yes she got used to having "that" in the living room :D especially as this is "improvement", there used to be 4 computers on the left where now are only 2 and there used to be 7 more below the table (where now is none)

Reply #9
Amidst of all the stuff stands a RepRap Darwin, this doesn't seem to be a very ergonomic working place :)

Not that my working space was any better. This is my old workshop, after finishing my studies I moved outta there, so it is history now:

My new workshop is not ready yet, my stuff is still awaiting better times waiting in boxes.

Jan

Reply #10
Can sympathize with your situation, JanW.  While caregiving for ten years for my dear wife, there was one five year period where we had five different addresses. Some retained stuff from the sale of our four bedroom house remain in scattered storage locations. Now I have become a lone ranger that occupies my sister's house that was otherwise vacant except for all of her belongs which strongly cramps things. Your pix from the past is keen. My clutter here is mostly paper piles but I have storage boxes and folders that could organize things, if I didn't have so many interesting things that take my time. Ha.

Reply #11
....  i dream of a good espresso machine ...
.... no i will NOT show my too many stacks of computer parts, books, papers, tools and all those other stuff i have around lol ....
...ian's place looks nice tho ! ...
:O)