Skip to main content
Topic: .NET Micro Framework Platforms (Read 8609 times) previous topic - next topic

.NET Micro Framework Platforms

Netduino  ($34.95)

http://netduino.com/netduino/

http://netduino.com/netduino/specs.htm

Netduino is an open source electronics platform using the .NET Micro Framework. Featuring a 32-bit microcontroller and a rich development environment. Suitable for engineers and hobbyists alike.

Development Environment

1)  Microsoft Visual C# Express 2010
2)  .NET Micro Framework SDK v4.1
3)  Netduino SDK v4.1.0 (32-bit or 64-bit)

Processor and Memory

●  Atmel 32-bit microcontroller (AT91SAM7X512)
●  Speed: 48MHz, ARM7
●  Code Storage: 128 KB
●  RAM: 60 KB

Re: Netduino OS Platform (.NET Micro)

Reply #1
FEZ Domino and FEZ Panda are very similar (so it has some restrictions regarding open source) - use LPC2387/2388 ARM7 MCU @ 72MHz

Development environment:

- Microsoft Visual C# Express
- Microsoft NETMF 4.1 SDK
- GHI NETMF 4.1 SDK Aug. 25, 2010

Cost:

- FEZ Domino $ 74.95 :(
- FEZ Panda $ 34.95 (pre-order special for $ 19.95 until Oct. 1) :)

Reply #2
TinyCLR has an "impressive" selection of shields.

Reply #3
Mainly they sell DFRobot shields - much cheaper at www.DFRobots.com ;)

Reply #4
What's wrong with writing in C?
... or, what's so great about C#, considering that it is a proprietary license language from a single source?
(open versions are only "nearly" complete)

Seriously, I've started many microcontroller and DSP firmware projects with an OO design, only to find that there was a lot of code waste.  Now I tend to use #define's more than parameters, and I get the same flexibility to change things, except that most things are controlled at compile time rather than at run time.

In my opinion, a language like Eiffel would be better than C#

Reply #5
It's a 3v3 uC right? What's the point of having an arduino compatible shield connection?
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #6
[quote author="ian"]
It's a 3v3 uC right? What's the point of having an arduino compatible shield connection?
[/quote]

Both the AT91SAM7X512 and the LPC2387/2388 have 5V-tolerant I/O and both boards have 5V and 3.3V VRs so most shields should work.

Reply #7
I wonder what percent of shields have TTL vs CMOS inputs, and which work out of spec.

For example I prototyped the Bus Pirate LCD adapter with a HC595 instead of the HTC595, and it worked fine. Technically out of spec though, and I wouldn't want to sell 100 like that for fear of corner cases :)

I gave up on a 3.3v shield connection for the web platform because I figured most shields would be out of spec, but if it works for others, then why not us...
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #8
Netduino Plus earns you Ethernet and microSD, an approving nod from Microsoft

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/25/netduino-plus-earns-you-ethernet-and-microsd-an-approving-nod-f/

Secret Labs is launching its .NET-friendly Netduino Plus, which adds Ethernet and microSD to a regular Netduino board (which in itself is a sort of high powered, Visual Studio-compatible Arduino, with a 32-bit 48MHz ARM7 processor, instead of Arduino's 8-bit number, but pin compatible with Arduino "shields"). Unfortunately, the networking code eats of a good majority of the board's already meager code storage and RAM, but you can always flash the original Netduino's firmware on here if you'd like.

Re: .NET Micro Framework Platforms

Reply #9
ChipworkX Module

http://www.ghielectronics.com/product/123

ChipworkX is a 200 MHz ARM9 DIMM200 single board computer running .NET Micro Framework internally. This enables developers to write applications using Microsoft Visual Studio and C# programming language.

Micro Framework is fully supported, in addition to SideShow and many GHI exclusive features, such as USB Host and PPP support. Not only that, ChipworkX is the first and only OEM device that implements .NET Micro Framework and adds Database and Native User Code (Runtime Loadable Procedures, RLP) capabilities. Developers can now write their own native methods using C or assembly without the need for Micro Framework porting kit or knowing anything about its internals or Interops interfacing.

ChipworkX Development System

http://www.ghielectronics.com/product/125

ChipworkX Development System is the official kit from GHI Electronics for ChipworkX Module. This kit exposes various peripherals and interfaces that make it an ideal fast start for any project with .NET Micro Framework with high performance and ultimate capabilities. Furthermore, most of ChipworkX module signals such as GPIO, SPI and UART are exposed on 0.1" header pins for easier prototyping.