On May 30, 2010, I saw the Free PCB Sunday: Flash_Destroyer blog (http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/2010/05/30/free-pcb-sunday-flash-destroyer/) pop up and posted a comment.
Next Ian asked me where he shall send the PCB to and last Saturday (06/05/2010) it arrived ... yesterday I got the tiny 0.125W resistors, finally.
And now we have a second Flash_Destroyer sending a Microchip 24AA01-I/P EEPROM to the grave (while Windows Automatic Update is sending my PC to the grave in the background ...)! :D
(http://http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/1318/flashdestroyertft27594a.th.png) (http://http://img810.imageshack.us/i/flashdestroyertft27594a.png/) (http://http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/4286/flashdestroyerassembled.th.png) (http://http://img810.imageshack.us/i/flashdestroyerassembled.png/)
When assembling the Flash_Destroyer I did two slight modifications:
a) instead of soldering the 7-segment LEDs directly on the PCB I installed single row DIP sockets
... to be able to remove the LEDs, put in LEDs with other colors ... for flexibility
b) and 2 4-contact female headers (Arduino style) instead of the DIP-8 socket for the EEPROM for easy extension/modification
... and built an adapter with an DIP-8 socket for the 24AA01.
(http://http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/1782/flashdestroyersocketsa.th.png) (http://http://img810.imageshack.us/i/flashdestroyersocketsa.png/) (http://http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1871/flashdestroyer2x4dipsoc.th.png) (http://http://img812.imageshack.us/i/flashdestroyer2x4dipsoc.png/)
All parts are through-hole so assembling the Flash_Destroyer is rather easy ...
Then I tested the assembled board for shorts and installed the bootloader with MPLAB and a PICKit3 (power must be connected to the Flash_Destroyer to program the PIC with an ICD or PICKit!) and used the bootloader to install FD-firmware-v1.1.hex.
(http://http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/4172/flashdestroyerpickit3a.th.png) (http://http://img811.imageshack.us/i/flashdestroyerpickit3a.png/) (http://http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6481/flashdestroyerfirmwareu.th.png) (http://http://img812.imageshack.us/i/flashdestroyerfirmwareu.png/)
... an other Flash_Destroyer sending an innocent EEPROM to SiO[sub:]2[/sub:] heaven ... (not sure what kind of glitch I caught on the first picture - the rightmost digit doesn't look like a number ;) )
(http://http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/6743/flashdestroyertftglitch.th.png) (http://http://img810.imageshack.us/i/flashdestroyertftglitch.png/) (http://http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/1104/flashdestroyer6569a.th.png) (http://http://img810.imageshack.us/i/flashdestroyer6569a.png/)
Once the test is over, I plan to add a temperature sensor and run the test with an other 24AA01 at 85Â°C and with an automotive grade 24LC01B at 125Â°C ...
Ian, thanks for the PCB and most of all for sharing an other fun project!
No problem. Thanks for the excellent writeup. It's always a huge relief when a project works for someone else for the first time :)
Great idea to test at the temperature limits. A Flash Destroyer in the oven with the pilot light on maybe.
Pilot light, good idea ... but running an oven for a couple of days could be considered a waste of energy ... maybe there is an other option ...
A few details
1. BC337-25 NPN transistors (Q2-Q8) with 10kÎ© resistors (R3-R9) between the PIC I/O pins and the base of the transistors to drive the LEDs cathodes CC (DIS1-DIS7)
2. 120Î© resistors (R10-R17) to drive the LED anodes a-g and dp
as suggested by rsdio. I suggest you correct the large image of the schematic (http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/wp-content/media/2010/05/cct4.png) accordingly (still shows BC547 and 100Î©). Actually the anode resitors should be 125Î© or more for the LEDs I used but since we have a 1/7 duty cycle of a few ms the average current drawn from the PIC should stay well below 175mA at all times.
3. for the 7-segment LEDs (DIS1-DIS7) I used Kingbright SC56-11SURKWA super red LEDs (http://http://www.kingbright.com/manager/upload/pdf/SC56-11SURKWA(Ver.4).pdf) (V[sub:]Fmax[/sub:] = 2,5V, 20mA (I[sub:]Fmax[/sub:] = 30mA) - 0,47 â‚¬ @ reichelt.de)
alternative/other colors from Kingsbright would be:
- yellow SC56-11YWA (0,42 â‚¬)
- green SC56-11GWA (0,42 â‚¬)
- (standard) red SC56-11EWA (0,45 â‚¬)
P.S. After 3 days and about 11h the Flash_Destroyer is at 3,85 million cycles ... and flashing away.
At 8.8 million the Flash_Destroyer lost power (unintentionally, without previously pushing the "save" button) ... so when power was applied again it started counting from a little over 10.000 (must have been the saved value from my "save" test) ... up to 5.5 million before it showed "dead" - a total of about 14.3 million cyles, not bad for a 24AA01-I/P!