Dangerous Prototypes

Other projects => Past projects => Flash_Destroyer EEPROM tester => Topic started by: octal on September 20, 2011, 11:10:07 pm

Title: Flash destroyer PCB?
Post by: octal on September 20, 2011, 11:10:07 pm
Is it possible to buy only the PCB of flash destroyer? (Seeed does not seem to sell it alone)
Title: Re: Flash destroyer PCB?
Post by: ian on September 22, 2011, 04:20:51 am
I'm sorry, I don't have any either. Our gerbers should be in a .zip in SVN. You can just submit them to Seeed. It will probably cost more than the kit though, they are pretty big PCBs.
Post by: octal on September 22, 2011, 10:21:47 am
Hi Ian,
no I wont make the PCB. I just wanted to try a little hack on actual PCB.
the idea was to just remove the EEprom (that is supposed to die), and replace it with a DS1307, I have only to cut the PCB under the X1, X2 (DS1307 crystal) or just to not fit those pins in the EE socket and solder the watch crystal on them.
With that in place, firmware modification would have made this board to act like a good DIY watch with calendar and alarms :) (especially that it has so much digits) ;)
Post by: znanev on September 22, 2011, 11:22:36 pm
Hi octal,

after I destroyed the poor EEPROM chip, I pulled it out of the socket and now I have a MCP9801 and DS32C35 connected with wires to the board. So the destroyer has now much more amicable functions - serving as digital clock + thermometer. DS32C35 has integrated oscillator and can easily replace DS1307. So I haven't made any modifications to the PCB.

On a side note - any idea how to implement input interface to set the clock with only one button :)
Post by: octal on September 22, 2011, 11:52:21 pm
[quote author="znanev"]

On a side note - any idea how to implement input interface to set the clock with only one button :)[/quote]

You have the 5 pins header (PICKit2) and you can plug as many buttons as you want.

Anyway, with a single button you can do a lot. you can implement a menu like system triggered with double click on the button, and you can set by slow or permanent click on the button ;)

and btw. the DS32C35 is an obsolete chip (found arround 13 euros) where as DS1307 is only about 2 euros in small qtt :)
Post by: znanev on September 23, 2011, 12:13:56 am
[quote author="octal"]
You have the 5 pins header (PICKit2) and you can plug as many buttons as you want.
[/quote]

How might I forget about the programming header ;) That's probably because I'm constantly plugging the programmer in and out... thanks for the reminder that the programming pins can be easily re-purposed :)

About the RTC chip - I'm not sure why you're thinking it's obsolete - this is one of the few I2C chips with FRAM memory and that was the purpose of getting it (RTC and 8KB memory in single package). Though I have to agree that the DS1307 is much more cheaper.