Dangerous Prototypes

Dangerous Prototypes => Bus Pirate Support => Pirate PIC programmer => Topic started by: octal on October 05, 2010, 10:05:39 am

Title: Where to got a PicProgrammer adapter for BusPirate?
Post by: octal on October 05, 2010, 10:05:39 am
Hello,
I would like to know where can I buy a PicProgrammer adapter for BusPirate? I cannot find it at SeeedStudio depots.

I'm working on something for PicProgrammer and I need to have high voltage (13.xx Volts)  to do tests on chips.

Regards
Title: Re: Where to got a PicProgrammer adapter for BusPirate?
Post by: Sjaak on October 05, 2010, 10:21:05 am
AFAIK it will soon be available. The schematics are in the wiki: http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus ... ng_adapter (http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate_PIC_programming_adapter)

You can also use a 12v battery like Wingzer0 did in this topic: http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/in ... opic=337.0 (http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/index.php?topic=337.0)
Post by: ian on October 05, 2010, 10:44:08 am
I got the quote yesterday, we can put an initial batch into production. I'm only going to have 20 made, it is still highly experimental.
Post by: octal on October 05, 2010, 11:06:18 am
Thanks for all,
but I dont really have too much time to dedicate to create a board myself, this is why I wanted to buy it already made.

Regards
Post by: rsdio on October 05, 2010, 11:17:41 am
Can't you just buy something like the PICkit 2 from Microchip?
Post by: Sjaak on October 05, 2010, 11:24:31 am
[quote author="octal"]
Thanks for all,
but I dont really have too much time to dedicate to create a board myself, this is why I wanted to buy it already made.

Regards
[/quote]

Hooking a battery isn't creating a dedicated board ;)
Post by: tayken on October 05, 2010, 11:25:19 am
This board is not tested fully yet (as far as I know) so if you need ASAP, I advise you to buy a PicKit2 or equivalent.

@Ian: When will the experimental batch be available and is it possible for me to get one?
Post by: ian on October 05, 2010, 11:47:28 am
I'm going to send the manufacturing invoice and package today. The lead time is 15days, but it's a pretty simple design and no (little?) testing will be done because it's 100% experimental. Getting one might be tough, if I only make 20 I worry they'll be snapped up by random people who just want to follow along (eg not develop). If I make 100, and there's a flaw or nobody wants it, we could be stuck with 90 broken widgets...

Hey, hey, Linda from Seeed just emailed me while writing this post, I'll order these now :)
Post by: octal on October 05, 2010, 11:49:32 am
@ rsdio  and  @tayken
[quote author="rsdio"]
Can't you just buy something like the PICkit 2 from Microchip?
[/quote]

I have got an ICD2, a PICKit2, PicStart, numerous Jtags, dev boards with onboard programmers for PIC, PIC24/dsPIC, PIC32, 8051, AVR, ... with some additionnal multipurpose programmers ....
this is not THE PROBLEM ;)

I'm working on a nice thing (if it works) for BusPirate PicProgrammer, and I need the adapter board for tests. That's all.
I can mount at home a level adapter and switching voltage stuff (using an ULNxxxx or trans) , but I really don't have too much time to spend on it, I wanted to spend more time on the firmware/software part than on hardware.

Regards
Post by: ian on October 05, 2010, 11:53:26 am
I'll send off the design package today, you should be able to buy one within 3 weeks.
Post by: octal on October 05, 2010, 12:04:55 pm
Thanks ian,
but three weeks is too much for me. I hoped that you (or anyone on the forum) has some of them ready to sell one to me. What I'm trying to achieve will be ready before the end of this week I hope.

thanks to everyone.

Regards
Ahmed
Post by: ian on October 05, 2010, 12:30:32 pm
Sorry, we don't actually stock or sell anything. Maybe someone on the forum has one though.
Post by: ian on October 05, 2010, 03:00:28 pm
Just ordered 20 of these. They'll be ready soon. Pictures attached :)
Post by: rsdio on October 06, 2010, 12:06:32 am
[quote author="octal"]I'm working on a nice thing (if it works) for BusPirate PicProgrammer, and I need the adapter board for tests. That's all.[/quote]Maybe if you describe this "nice thing" a little more clearly, someone will be motivated to help you out (assuming that anyone even has a spare board - they don't exist yet).
Post by: Sjaak on October 06, 2010, 09:07:29 am
If you have a couple of transistors, resistors, and a regulated power supply the circuit is easily build on a breadboard in about an hour.

This will be much quicker then wait for the postman to arrive...
Post by: Philip on October 27, 2010, 10:23:45 am
Hi guys how is the PICProgrammer doing? Im very interested in it..buspirate + avr and PIC.. I dont need to buy a Pickit!

btw im still using the old sercon2 adapter!
Post by: ian on October 27, 2010, 12:59:58 pm
The adapter is now available at seeed for $7. This is intended for developers only, there is NO software support:

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/bus-pi ... Path=61_68 (http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/bus-pirate-pic-programming-adapter-for-developers-p-707.html?cPath=61_68)
Post by: Philip on October 29, 2010, 08:10:39 am
yeah just found it on the forum,

mmmmm ian how do I use it?
Post by: ian on October 29, 2010, 08:58:20 am
@philip - it's just for developers right now, there is no way to use it without writing your own software.
Post by: octal on October 29, 2010, 09:57:29 pm
Cool !! I'll order one right now :)
Post by: rsdio on October 29, 2010, 10:33:24 pm
For the software developers out there who might need more information, I have added several PIC-related links to Microchip specifications - see the Wiki (http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate_PIC_programming_adapter#Links)
Post by: Sjaak on October 29, 2010, 11:00:10 pm
I found this application note from microchip interesting: http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcpl ... e=en012156 (http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1824&appnote=en012156)

It describes the outlines of pic/icsp programming in general
Post by: rsdio on October 30, 2010, 05:52:31 am
Thanks, Sjaak.  That's the same AN910 that I put at the top of the list in the Wiki.  I figured people might find the documentation easier on the wiki than in a long forum thread.
Post by: ian on October 30, 2010, 09:42:40 am
Thanks for adding those links to the wiki!
Post by: Sjaak on October 30, 2010, 12:18:31 pm
[quote author="rsdio"]
Thanks, Sjaak.  That's the same AN910 that I put at the top of the list in the Wiki.  I figured people might find the documentation easier on the wiki than in a long forum thread.
[/quote]

Looks like I mustn't post when I'm almost sleeping ;) I posted elsewhere here (dunno where) a link to the microchipsite where all the icsp docs are stored.
Post by: ferilferila on May 13, 2011, 01:25:18 am
I was hoping that you  provides some of them,if you one has to sell for me. What I'm trying to achieve, It will be ready before the end of this week I hope. If you want to the few transistors, resistors, and  regulated power to the supply of the circuit have is easy to build on a breadboard in about an hour.
Title: Re: Re: Where to got a PicProgrammer adapter for BusPirate?
Post by: BrentBXR on December 08, 2011, 10:13:16 pm
Ian,

For real; start selling the pic programmers again. I really really want one. really.
Post by: ian on December 09, 2011, 07:14:28 am
Sounds like they need to be put back into production :)
Post by: tayken on December 09, 2011, 10:33:37 am
I guess the concept is proven and also HVtest program works (at least for me). Putting some there can help with PiratePICProg development and addition of other PIC uCs to the list.
Post by: ian on December 09, 2011, 01:31:28 pm
The bottom line, I think an eventual update of the Bus Pirate will need a fet and coil for a SMPS, and a way to switch it :)
Post by: ian on December 09, 2011, 02:04:55 pm
We looked at the price and I'm gonna order 100 of these. We need to arrange for a male header with no key because the stupid bpv3.5a fiasco. @100 they're 4.80 - what should we charge? I'd like to send a thank you to robots if we manage to sell any. He wrote the initial app for a pittance, and has kept banging away at it since.
Post by: tayken on December 09, 2011, 03:49:47 pm
[quote author="ian"]The bottom line, I think an eventual update of the Bus Pirate will need a fet and coil for a SMPS, and a way to switch it :)[/quote]
Heheheh, I guess that can be done without too much problem. It can also be used for HVP for AVR maybe. Hmmmm, I'll think about this for a while. :)
Post by: BrentBXR on December 09, 2011, 05:55:33 pm
So it only costs 480 to get 100 boards completly designed and populated and e-tested? Is that some kind of deal you have with SEEED or can anyone get that price?
Post by: ian on December 09, 2011, 05:58:54 pm
It's a pretty simple board with $1-$1.50 BOM in 100s. That's a pretty standard setup/assembly for anywhere I checked, and they also do all our fulfillment.

You can get your project quoted by Seeed, they do accept new products to the propogate service.
Title: Re: Cost of PicProgrammer adapter for BusPirate?
Post by: dpropicweb on December 10, 2011, 12:16:47 am
[quote author="ian"] @100 they're 4.80 - what should we charge?[/quote]

$7 seems good value to me. I'd certainly buy one at that price for my BP even though I have a couple of PICkits.
Post by: rsdio on December 10, 2011, 12:27:52 am
[quote author="ian"]The bottom line, I think an eventual update of the Bus Pirate will need a fet and coil for a SMPS, and a way to switch it :)[/quote]
I just finished successfully designing and building a USB board with the MAX1797 configured for 5 V output. It has an integrated FET, so there's no need to add an external one. It has a shutdown input that can be driven directly by a 5 V I/O pin, or if you only have 3.3 V I/O then this chip will still work. It has a Low Battery Indicator input/output that can be looped back into the Shutdown input, so you can feed 3.3 V logic to the LBI, attach a pull-up to the LBO-to-SHDN node, and you're good to go. I'm assuming that you only need 5 V from the SMPS.

There are two variations of the MAX1797 (MAX1796, MAX1795) that carry less current and also cost less.

I used the shielded SMD Abracon ASPI-0428S-220M-T for the power inductor; an alternate is the Sumida CDRH4D28NP-220NC.
Post by: ian on December 10, 2011, 09:35:12 am
I split part of this post to a state of DP 2011 post in the kitbiz forum:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3248 (http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3248)
Post by: tayken on January 15, 2012, 10:55:42 am
I split this topic as it turned into a new programming adapter development. New topic can be found at viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3458 (http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3458)