New videos recorded to help anyone interested in working on the Sump VHDL code.

A cheap logic analyzer. Get one for $50, including worldwide shipping. A collaboration between the Gadget Factory and Dangerous Prototypes.

New videos recorded to help anyone interested in working on the Sump VHDL code.

Postby jack.gassett » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:01 pm

A couple videos were recorded and posted to the OLS project page with the intention of helping anyone who wants to modify the Sump VHDL code get oriented. The videos can be viewed here:
http://gadgetforge.gadgetfactory.net/gf ... dapp_id=28

There are 4 overview videos that just give a brief tour of the project. (Be sure to click the "Read More" link to see all 4 videos)

There is one video that covers TODO item #20 that is open in the project tracker:
We are trying to create a single bitstream that can dynamically change its memory configuration based on the channel groups that are selected in the client. Currently the end user has to load one bitstream to select 8 channels with a memory depth of 24K and another bitstream for 32 channels with 6K samples. We want to make it as simple as deselecting memory groups.
http://gadgetforge.gadgetfactory.net/gf ... item_id=20

I'm very interested to hear any ideas people have about making it easier to contribute code and participate in improvements. A couple things I've been thinking about are:
-Moving from svn to git to make distributed development a little easier.
-Making better use of the trackers on the project page for feature requests and direction of what still needs to be done. http://gadgetforge.gadgetfactory.net/gf ... c/tracker/
Last edited by jack.gassett on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Gassett
www.GadgetFactory.net
Open Source Projects:
Co-Designer of the Open Bench Logic Sniffer
Papilio One - The "Arduino" of FPGA Development
jack.gassett
Developer
Developer

Re: New videos recorded to help anyone interested in working on the Sump VHDL code.

Postby ian » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:33 am

I remember you mentioned GIT earlier. I'm happy to use it if you prefer.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.
ian
Crew
Crew

Re: New videos recorded to help anyone interested in working on the Sump VHDL code.

Postby LeissKG » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:03 am

I would use a 32 bit memory core and would  add a demultiplexer with holding registers before the memory.  With a 16 bit sample width you would write a 32 bit word to memory at every 2nd sample , and with 8 bit samples you would write a 32 bit word to memory at  every 4th sample. For serial debugging you could do the same with 4 bit or 2 bit samples getting a still greater sample depth. This way most of the work would be done in the client software but i think at least for sample widths of 8 bit or larger no or only small modifications should be needed depending on the way the memory is read and transmitted to the client software.

Klaus Leiss
LeissKG

Re: New videos recorded to help anyone interested in working on the Sump VHDL co

Postby Ryan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:44 am

Helo!

I am doing some code to fuse all the "modes" that for this project.
And, it is quite inclined to what Klaus just said.

I will try to post the code soon...
Ryan

Return to Open Bench Logic Sniffer