Identify air hose coupling on solder paste dispenser?

Reflow ovens, hot plates, pick and place machines, test rigs, solder stencils. Small scale manufacturing and prototyping tool discussion.

Identify air hose coupling on solder paste dispenser?

Postby ian » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:22 am

Just wondered if anyone has experience with air hose couplings.

My compressor has a female coupling that, I assume, connects to 1/4inch Industrial type connectors. Using my calipers I measure the interior diameter to be 0.27 inches. This is the type shown in red in the photo.

The solder paste dispenser comes with a large connector with a different shaped barb. In the comments on yesterday's video someone suggested it was a 3/8th inch coupler. After a little research though, I think it is the 1/4 or 1/2 inch "Asian Style High-Flow" shown in the picture. The barb shape matches exactly. The ID is .28 or .29 inches, so I'm going to guess it is also the 1/4 inch type.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Here is the PDF reference I used:
http://www.legacymfg.com/Selection_Guid ... _Plugs.pdf

Update: Found this, seems to be the right one. Now how to do a proper adapter...

Series 315, DN 7.5

DN 7.5 mm (5/16"). Flow capacity of 1,950 l/min (68.8 CFM). Max working pressure 16 bar (230 PSI). Made of zinc-plated steel/brass. Asian standard profile with a wide range of connections. Couplings with high flow and low connection force.

Technical data
Nominal flow diameter: 7.5 mm (5/16")
Air flow: 1950 l/min (68.8 CFM)
Max. working pressure: 16 bar (230 PSI)
Min. burst pressure: 140 bar (2030 PSI)
Connection force: 73.5 N
Temperature range: -20°C — +100°C (-4°F — +212°F)
Material coupling: Zinc-plated steel/brass
Material nipple: Hardened zinc-plated steel
Interchangeable with: Nitto Kohki 20/30/40, Daisen 23 SF/SOF, Rectus 13, Prevost OSG/ORG 08, Hansen CHS 03 F

In metric the ID of the coupling is 7.5mm exactly.

http://www.cejn.com/Products/Pneumatics ... 315-DN-75/
Attachments
plugs.png
ian
Crew
Crew

Re: Identify air hose coupling on solder paste dispenser?

Postby neslekkim » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:58 am

neslekkim

Postby ian » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:51 am

The best solution is probably to find a 1/4inch quick coupler with the same "screw down" connection to a 4mm ID/6mm tube. The existing connector unscrews and you can swap the tube/fitting. I don't have pliers handy so I can't show it.

However, now I'm looking for an imperial connector (1/4") to mate with a specific metric hose, and that makes me more nervous than hoping for a proper adapter.
Attachments
IMG_20130208_094220-W600.jpg
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby neslekkim » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:56 am

use an compressionfitting on the back?
and possibly you should have an better tubing than that.. (braided pressure air hose)
neslekkim

Postby JuKu » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:26 am

ian wrote:However, now I'm looking for an imperial connector (1/4") to mate with a specific metric hose, and that makes me more nervous than hoping for a proper adapter.

Shoddy connections and pressurized air (or water) don't mix. Trust me, you don't want a pressurized air hose or connector to fail on your desktop! Either get a proper pressure hose (preferred) or get the right metric connector and the right metric to imperial adapter.
JuKu

Postby DwayneR » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:11 am

The Red connector in your photo is a standard North-American air fitting and is known as a Milton "M" connector. I am completely unfamiliar with the Asian connector that your unit came with.

I have a couple of suggestions. The easiest method is to head to a supplier with the dispenser in hand and see if they have a connector that will thread into the back of the dispenser. Another option is to cut the existing air hose and install a barbed 1/4" fitting (with a hose clamp) - the 1/4" threaded portion then threads into the air fitting of your choice.

Because I work with air fittings all the time, I have the most common tapered taps and dies (10-32, 1/8" NPT, 1/4" NPT, 3/8" NPT, 1/2" NPT and also have 3/4" NPT taps (but not dies). My usual fix is to silver-solder an appropriate fitting into the fitting that I can't match - its very professional-looking and rock-solid reliable. But I've even been known to drill out, then re-tap the threads for the next larger NPT size.

Anyway, it is easily fixable.

dwayne
DwayneR

Postby chrisw957 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:45 pm

My Manncorp/Autotronik mc385 came with that same barb, and I made the same determination that it was the "Asian" type you described.

Looking at the typical places, like mcmaster, I couldn't find a matching quick connect, so I ended up removing the connector at the machine. Luckily, that threading was a standard NPT (3/4" if I remember), so I was able to make it match the rest of the shop.

On another topic, when I looked up specs on 8 and 10mm polyurethane hose like the clear in one of the previous photos, it appeared to be rated 150 - 175 psi working pressure and 450 psi burst, so it's probably fine for most applications like this.
chrisw957

Postby ian » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 am

Here's some pics. The dispenser has a quick connect with no fitting.

The fitting on the compressor end actually screws apart. I assume somewhere out there is a 1/4" standard industrial connect version of this, but will it be for a 5mm ID tube, and is it possible to build manually? The tube is stretched way out over a large retaining bump, it is so tight that it won't budge even if I tie it to the railing and hang from it.
Attachments
IMG_0703-W600.jpg
IMG_0701-W600.jpg
IMG_0699-W600.jpg
IMG_0700-W600.jpg
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby sqkybeaver » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:24 am

I have used the quick connect fittings(like on back of dispenser) in industrial settings, mostly where there is no movement of tubing. however if your pressures won't exceed 30 or 40 psi you should be alright with using them as long as the cut in the tubing is square and the tubing is flexible enough.

I would also install a excess flow shutoff valve from your supply to the dispenser. this can prevent the wild octopus situation if there is a connector/tubing failure.

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKE ... nextfmt=EN
sqkybeaver

Return to Tools of the trade