Hello all UK Hacker/Maker

Anything not related to a specific project.

Hello all UK Hacker/Maker

Postby BinaryG » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:05 pm

First I have to say gota love the spam hammer it just slapped me right round the chops for posting a profile :) that will teach me for not reading the terms and stuff first.

Apart from that just wanted to say hi thought I better sign up as I have finally just purchased a Bus Pirate and Open Logic Sniffer and I am sure I will be needing help at some point also I have been loving the videos from the geek tour.

I am also looking for any UK hackers who are preferably as close to Hartlepool in the North East England as possible to maybe work together on projects and share ideas.

I am currently working on my second CNC mill the first was made from an old TV cabinet and was very under powered but i learnt a lot building it hopefully this one will be a workable machine. I love making and hacking things and just like many other people the list of things I want to learn and build is an ever growing list.

well that enough about me for now and respect where it is due Ian and your team have built an awesome community here and thanks for some great well priced products.
Mick
BinaryG

Re: Hello all UK Hacker/Maker

Postby ian » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:34 am

Welcome to the forum. Sorry for our super aggressive spam filter, it should have released your account from any restrictions now.

I'm not in the UK, but hope to go to New Castle maker faire this year. I have a friend in Halifax I will visit soon, I think it may be near you
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby BinaryG » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Great stuff your are right Hartlepool is about 30 mile from Newcastle me and my son have been looking to join the makerspace up there http://www.makerspace.org.uk/ and maybe we will see you at the maker fair. i have started getting more involved this year with makers because i am trying to move my business from PC Repair to 3d printing and CNC Conversions + a bit of prototypes for people mainly because i always like a challenge and i would also like to open a hackspace in hartlepool sometime in the future. I would love to talks with Zach Hoeken for a few hours about a few CNC ideas i have (maybe one day) its a shame what MakerBot Industries did to him but i think now he has moved to Shenzhen the OSHW scene is going to see some great stuff from him.

As for you friend in Halifax maybe if you have the time you could pop into the Leeds Hackspace on the way upto Newcastle, i do not know them personally but they have been on hackaday with the PiFace to Minecraft hack entry from their Raspberry Jam event and i`m sure they would like to meet up and share ideas.

Dont worry about the Spam Hammer i think it is working just fine i`m sure people would complain alot more if the site was full of engrish links to gucci bags. i also help a charity administrate and build their site so i to know the joys and pains of running a website i also add this to my .htaccess from HackRepair.com. Anyway i could go on all night but i wont, got to save some stuff for later rambles thanks for such great products keep up the good work .
Mick
BinaryG

Postby TonyD » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:53 pm

@Mick, greetings from Newcastle. I'm actually a member from Newcastle/NE Makerspace so we would love you to come along and meet us sometime. Our makerspace is open every Mondays/Tuesday/Wednesday evenings 6.00pm to 9.00/10.00pm. Welcome Wednesdays are my favourite as we get a lot of people visiting us on those evenings. But if a evening is difficult to get to, we also meet on the last Saturday of the month and have a full day of maker and hacker stuff going on.

We're quite active in the 3D printer side of things, I think we have 6 members who have built their own units.

@Ian, It would be great to see you at Maker Faire UK. Aaron from Oomlout was there last time and we hope he'll make it again this year.
Tony
TonyD

Postby BinaryG » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks for the invite Tony i should be able to get up there at least once a month by train if i remember correctly you are only 1 or 2 metro stops from the main station so it should easy enough, as long as the signals cable does not get stolen again which is what happened on our visit to the Discovery Museum. :)

i have a ton of parts, old electronics and different micro-controllers that i could bring up if anyone want to play with them but from what i was reading on the discussion board room is at a premium at the space for the moment so i could probably keep the stuff here and make a list and if anyone wants it i`ll bring it up on my next trip. i need to sort a few things out first but i will definitely get my self up there with in the next month or 2.
Thanks Mick
BinaryG

Postby ian » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:37 am

Aaron from Oomlout was there last time and we hope he'll make it again this year.

I'm way beyond due to visit his workshop, but I hear there's no heat so I might be holding out for warmer weather :)
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby TonyD » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:29 am

@Mick, look forward to meeting you soon.

@Ian, He's from Canada so he's used to the cold :-) I hope you can get to Maker Faire UK in April
Tony
TonyD

Postby fartbox » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi,

Another new member here, submitting a first post to keep the spam filter at bay.

Nice to see there are some other UK-based members here (although unfortunately I'm down in Gloucestershire, which is a shame as the Maker activities up in Newcastle sound great).

Cheers,
Chris
fartbox

Postby BinaryG » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:03 pm

hello mate glad to hear from another uk maker i still have not been up to the space yet but from the discussions going on on their board there is some very talented people up here
BinaryG

Postby TonyD » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:48 am

Hi Chris

The UK is well catered for when it maker and hack spaces, check http://hackspace.org.uk/view/Main_Page for one near you.

Also have a look for Maker Faires, Maker Faire UK is on Saturday and Sunday, April 27th and 28th, 2013 at the Centre for Life, Newcastle. There's also many Mini Maker Faires as well, Edinburgh is in April as well.Check http://makerfaire.com/

Tony
Tony
TonyD

Postby windchine » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:50 am

Hi. Yes - I'm another new member passing the first post in the UK. Hope this is enough to stop the spam filter from toasting my account.
windchine

Postby TonyD » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:33 am

Hi windchime

welcome to the forum, where about inthe UK are you?
Tony
TonyD

Postby yarg » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi all,
Another UK forum noob, this time from Nottingham. I've come to the forums to learn a bit more about DP products.
yarg

Postby Graham242 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:20 am

This seems a good place for UK ppl to pop out of the woodwork! ;) I'm just off the south coast - Isle of Wight, which sadly doesn't currently seem to have any maker/hackerspace. It would be good to rectify that at some point.
Graham242

Postby Catmacey » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:08 am

Hi. I'm kind of a UK member. At least I would have been 12 years ago having lived in the Portsmouth/Southampton area for 20 years. Now I'm in Spain (Barcelona) so I'm not sure if I still qualify... :o)
It's really great to hear about hackerspaces in the UK, I only wish they existed when I was there.
We have a few here in Barcelona too now - even had a mini-maker fair last year!
Catmacey

Next

Return to General discussion