Silabs C2 support?

Hacking multi-tool. Get one for $30, including worldwide shipping.

Silabs C2 support?

Postby Nincompoop » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:13 am

Hi,

Does anybody know how to program the Silabs C2 interface with the Bus Pirate?

I'd like to flash some Silabs chips (F330 on model airplane ESCs, Electronic Speed Control) with new firmware. I'm hoping to use the Bus Pirate and I'm looking for where to start.

There's no straightforward support for the Silicon Labs C2 interface, but it appears to be a 2-wire interface analogous to JTAG. I've found C2 support in the Linux kernel. The .c and .h files there are very interesting.

I suppose I can use the Bus Pirate in raw-2-wire mode. I've seen an interesting example in Perl in the Bus Pirate docs but I'm not sure this is the best way to flash a chip with a +2KB hex-file. Or is it? There's someone who uses an Atmel mcu as intermediate interface but I really think the bus Pirate ought to be able to do this.

I'm new to all this. But I've programmed Atmegas before and I've managed to program an Atmega64 inside a RC transmitter with the Bus Pirate and without letting the magic smoke out. Any pointers on this C2 adventure would be more than welcome.

Thanks!
Nincompoop

Re: Silabs C2 support?

Postby Zeta » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:14 pm

C2 interface specification can be found in the datasheet, it looks quite simple to implement. Good luck.

BTW I have seen the owSilProg but seems too cumbersome when the Silabs C2 debuger is quite cheap and you could even get a equivalent program/debug tool by getting a Toolstick base adapter + toolstick debug adapter for a total price lower than a buspirate.

Do you know if the buspirate can program Silabs' ARM MCUs?
Zeta

Re: Silabs C2 support?

Postby sqkybeaver » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:11 pm

Zeta wrote:Do you know if the buspirate can program Silabs' ARM MCUs?

from what i have read the SiM3 uses same programmer/debugger in a SWD or JTAG mode. the silabs debugger is fully capable of SWD as it is not significantly different from the C2 interface.

and at $30 the debugger is a good price
sqkybeaver

Return to Bus Pirate Support