Re: Web server build with live site

Support for Ian's Hack a Day projects: Web server on a business card, USB remote control receiver, Digital picture frame, E-paper clock, CPLD dev board.

Web server build with live site

Postby va7db » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi Guy's, new to this board but have a Micro Server up and running fine. See below post from the Hack A Day site.

Well the beast is up and running, due to our local ISP we had to rework the code to run on port 81  to access it cos of dynamic IP suppied by said provider (Telus) here in Vancouver area of Canada.
Check it out live at: http://75.154.246.246:81
Thanks to Ian Lesnet and Hack A Day for hosting his wonderful little project.
Dave (VA7DB)

Posted at 6:59 pm on Aug 5th, 2009 by Dave
Last edited by va7db on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave (VA7DB)
va7db

Postby Scorpia » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:21 am

hi,

very nice. good to see it working.

the link to the ip address didnt work for me but that might be my end.

also any chance of posting the code changes you have made to get it running on port 81. i had a search when i was looking at it but i couldnt find it.

also what are the changes you have made. it looks like the cd card is different and the board on the bottom, what is it?

Peter
Scorpia
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ian » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:32 am

Great build. I thought it deserved its own thread, so I moved it here.

I think the SD card holder he could get probably didn't fit the original footprint, so he wired it to the bottom.

I'm curious if you bought a totally different SD card holder, or if you got the new one SparkFun sells under the same product number?

That looks like a homemade PCB too, great work.
Last edited by ian on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby Scorpia » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:48 am

yes it does look like a well done home made board.

I must say i was impressed how easy the board is to make for what it is. sure you need to be carefull but there is nothing on there most people couldnt do.

The SD card was probably the hardest from memory and even that isnt to bad.
Scorpia
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby pkt » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:12 pm

It's nice to see that it works so well. The one thing about it though is that it was slow. I don't know whether if that was due to server load or connection speed but maybe a textonly site would be a bit more apt for it.
pkt

Postby bluesign2k » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:03 pm

With respect to the going slow problem...

As I remember the original code was slower that it could be because it didn't initialize the clock divider to work at full speed. Just having a quick look at the copy of the source I use for my server I have the following line in the "InitializeBoard" function:

CLKDIVbits.RCDIV0=0;

This enables the pic to run at the full 32MHz (16mips) rather than the default 16MHz (8mips).
bluesign2k

Postby va7db » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks indeed for the kind words guys...it is a fun project for sure......I noticed a whack of activity on the LED's this weekend so I assume some folks were getting into the little beastie.
Yes it was a home made board, done with that blue iron on stuff....works for me better than the old photographic method I used for many years.  Yes, also on the daughter board under the SD card holder,  that was necessary because the holder Sparkfun shipped us was the same as the original part number but a different footprint with the connections right under the middle of the device which would've made soldering it onto the board would have covered the .1uF capacitor (C8) that sits right behind the holder.    So a hurriedly conceived board with just plain little strips of copper to bring the connections out to the back was made up and a hole drilled to pass the wires through to the other side.
Not sure how to go about posting the code we changed to allow it to operate on port 81 so will wait till I hear from one of you as to how to proceed.     
The fan is obviously a bit over over kill but a little mechanical rotating thingy along with different colored flashing LED's adds a bit of appeal to us gizmo gearhead types  :-)
Without either a fan or heatsink the datapump I/C does run quite hot as did the V regulator when run off a 6 volt wall wart so I went with a 5 volt cell phone supply (switching regulator type) which runs nice and cool and allows the Micro Server to run at a much more reasonable temp. 
Being an electronics tech I dislike hot I/C's with a passion  :-)

Dave
Dave (VA7DB)
va7db

Postby bluesign2k » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:52 pm

Scorpia wrote:...
also any chance of posting the code changes you have made to get it running on port 81. i had a search when i was looking at it but i couldnt find it...

At the top of FATHTTP.h you'll find:
Code: Select all
#define HTTP_PORT               (80u)

Change to 81u (or whatever port number you like) and bob's your uncle ;)
bluesign2k

Postby ian » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:24 am

If you click 'reply', and then expand the 'Additional Options' menu below the text editor you can upload files with your post. Feel free to upload source in the forum, I'll move interesting code to the SVN with the author's permission.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby ian » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:32 am

Yes, also on the daughter board under the SD card holder,  that was necessary because the holder Sparkfun shipped us was the same as the original part number but a different footprint...

That was the primary reason why I didn't publish v2. I was horrified that they did this, and I stopped sourcing from them immediately after. I wish they had changed the part number and left a place holder page with a link to the new one. I felt extra bad because I had just specified the same part on the DIY photo frame article a few months earlier when I found out, but fortunately it seems like nobody tried to make that ;)
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby rvbcrs » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:37 am

ian wrote:
Yes, also on the daughter board under the SD card holder,  that was necessary because the holder Sparkfun shipped us was the same as the original part number but a different footprint...

That was the primary reason why I didn't publish v2. I was horrified that they did this, and I stopped sourcing from them immediately after. I wish they had changed the part number and left a place holder page with a link to the new one. I felt extra bad because I had just specified the same part on the DIY photo frame article a few months earlier when I found out, but fortunately it seems like nobody tried to make that ;)

Damn, I just ordered four MicroSD sockets at the SparkFun site, can't I used those now?
rvbcrs

Postby ian » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:47 am

I'd complain and ask for a refund. Can't hurt, especially if they haven't shipped them yet.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby rvbcrs » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:41 am

Hmm got a message yesterday that my items have been shipped.. :(
rvbcrs

Postby va7db » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:49 am

Yeah It's not easy to use the one they now supply as the capacitor (C8) is in the way and even if you move that to someplace else the mounting and soldering of the new part is tricky cos the solder tags are under the shell of the holder itself,  I managed it OK cos being a tech I have the correct tools handy (stereo microscope and fine tipped iron)
Simplest thing I could think of was to make a tiny daughter board just a few mm bigger than the card holder and epoxy it on the back of the Server pcb, drill a little 3mm hole and run the wires through to the top.  All I did on the daughter board was to make a series of thin strips of copper to allow the connections to come out the back end of the holder to attach me wires.
The only missing part is the switch for Card Detect,  as it is located right in the way of the wires.....so I just cut off the contacts (2) so as not to interfere with the wire attachment.
The Card Detect is left open circuit when the card is in place anyway so no real need to worry about that connection as when the card is out the unit is switched off anyway so the PIC won't care about an O/C (floating) pin.
Dave 
Dave (VA7DB)
va7db

Postby Scorpia » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:35 pm

does sparkfun have the correct footprint for the part in the eagle parts libary that they run?

if so it would be possible to modify the current layout a little to help it fit if you wanted to etch your own board.
Scorpia
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Hack a Day projects