Some soldering before bedtime....

Anything not related to a specific project.

Some soldering before bedtime....

Postby matseng » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:49 am

I did a quick solderjob on a piece of perfboard on one of the Nokia LCDs I picked up for doing a proper PAW breakout down the road.

The pitch of the 12 connectors is 0.65mm so it was easy to solder wires directly to the flex connector and connect it up to a 0.1" pin header.

Testing it will have to wait until tomorrow evening....

NokiaLcdBreakout.jpg

NokiaLcdBreakoutDetail.jpg
matseng

Re: Some soldering before bedtime....

Postby oakkar7 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:20 am

Nnice breakout idea matseng . I will do this solder trick next time.

One year ago, I wanted to test CF card in an embedded project. Idea was to use CF2IDE adapter with normal PC board. But I couldn't find a CF2IDE adapter at local market. So, I built it with DIY style. Find pin outs and checked that it is just a passive connectors adapter.
I searched around for proper adapters. For IDE, connectors were easy to find. But I cannot find CF connector. So, I took off a PCMCIA connector from old laptop motherboard and cut unwanted pins. Then solder directly an IDE cable at CF(PCMCIA) adapter. Then, connected to a PIII desktop, detected at BIOS and checked that syslinux was successfully booted.

http://pinouts.ru/Memory/CompactFlash_pinout.shtml
http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/files-rtvforum/cf2ide_200.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYSLINUX

Some old photos here.
Soldering,

Installed,

tested, it was 8M at secondary slave.
oakkar7

Postby ian » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:59 am

Nice work! I always get the tiniest bit of peeling on the contacts, especially soldering wires to something like a SIM card. Probably I use to much heat because I'm inpatient.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby matseng » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:15 am

280C, needlepoint tip, stereo microscope and no coffee makes it easy :)
matseng

Postby ian » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:26 am

no coffee

Yup. If I drink coffee I can't solder for a week :)
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby matseng » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:40 am

I've been thinking of going down to my local clinic and ask for a Beta-blocker like Propranolol and see if I would get steadier hands. Propranolol lowers the blood pressure and also reduces tremors in many cases.
matseng

Postby ian » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:27 am

better living soldering through chemistry!
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby Sleepwalker3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:31 am

Only to an extent Mats ;)

@Oakkar - not sure if you realise, but these adaptors are readily available, all built and ready to plug in, on ebay, for <$10

edit - I should add, very nice soldering there Mat's.
Sleepwalker3

Postby sdixon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:56 pm

Yeah, people think I'm joking when I tell them they have to lay off caffeine when they want to solder SMT parts. It makes a surprising difference.
sdixon

Postby oakkar7 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 am

Sleepwalker3 wrote:Only to an extent Mats ;)

@Oakkar - not sure if you realise, but these adaptors are readily available, all built and ready to plug in, on ebay, for <$10

Dears,

I know that they are dead cheap every where like ebay :D .
I live in Myanmar. Yes, a strange country recently opened it's doors. We don't usually have credit card, no online payment,no online banking mechanism yet (now starting and we hopefully soon available). Ebay and Amazon are not for us yet. Paypal is yet banned Myanmar because of so called sanctions. Visa recently cooperated with local bank (yes, exactly about two months and only 60 credit machines). Most online suppliers such as RSm Farnell, Mouser, DiGi, Microchip-direct and xx..xx so on don't even listed Myanmar.

And more, there are very rare electronics supply shops here. SMT parts cannot be found in local suppliers. Supplier don't interest in hobby parts.

Online shopping is really a pain here. I will tell you my funny but real online shopping experiences later. For now, sorry for out topic of this post.

For topic alignment, that is why I have to setup my gears in DIY or home brew.
oakkar7

Postby v8rush » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:50 am

That's some nice soldering. I really need to give up the coffee - it took me ages to do similar! Nice little display though.
v8rush

Postby matseng » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 am

Thanks...

I need to do it again though. Tonight when I tested the display I saw that it had two dead rows, well actually one row completely dead and one row is dimmer than the rest. But it's at least enough for me to see that the display is working and I have the exact dimensions for making a breakout board.
matseng

Postby arhi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:55 pm

beta blockers don't help, at least not te small dose (I have some prescribed), laying off carbonated drinks and coffee solves the problem...

one other thing - best soldering work on small pitch for me is always around 4am after more then 24 hours of being awake... when I'm tired and sleepy my hands get very steady and my brain is able to achieve very high level of focus and keep it for a long time
arhi

Postby arakis » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:04 pm

arhi wrote:beta blockers don't help, at least not te small dose (I have some prescribed), laying off carbonated drinks and coffee solves the problem...

one other thing - best soldering work on small pitch for me is always around 4am after more then 24 hours of being awake... when I'm tired and sleepy my hands get very steady and my brain is able to achieve very high level of focus and keep it for a long time

at similar conditions my CPU also switches to single threaded operation only :), it's also overclocked, but unfortunately the CPU-RAM communication is very unstable at late hours... at least for me...
best regards FIlip.
arakis
Crew
Crew

Postby ian » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:48 am

Arhi also recommended pomegranate juice once. Here (well not here, am sitting in huaqiangbei market, but my normal abode) we have pom and other drinks. Have not tried but maybe some day.

Like all things practice helps. I used to shake like a leaf on fine.motions especially when demoing to otherpeople but after a few dozen boards i have hands like a surgon. Though for soldring only. Instill shake when passing a cup of tea on a saucer lol.
ian
Crew
Crew

Next

Return to General discussion