BP3 flatlined

Hacking multi-tool. Get one for $30, including worldwide shipping.

BP3 flatlined

Postby jegeva » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Hello guys & gals

My sparkfun BP3 2/10/2010 stopped working after a plane trip (yeah i'm taking my BP in holidays, who doesn't...)

dunno but the console stopped to answer both in linux & windows (i tried just to rule out software issues since i had a kernel update in the meantime)

to this point i dunno if the default is hardware (temp. shock in plane cargo) or firmware (cosmic rays and the like).
a duino and an msp430 launchpad had survived the trip in the same conditions as the BP (thanks *insert favorite entity* !).

Situation :
-both the FTDI & the pic seems to receive adequate power (usb enumerates and vdd(p28)/grnd = ~3.3 for the pic)
- P24qp.exe / py can't manage to talk to the BP neither. (unable to connect to device)
- the BP seems to receive chars (TX led blinks on keypress)
- TX blinks 4 times when plugged in (never payed specially attention to that) on both Win & Lin

i don't have a pic programmer/icsp and would like to rule out hardware fault before buying/borrowing
one from a friend/local hackerspace.

does somebody have a checklist or essential reference points to check ?

tools @hand (pretty basic): duino*, msp430, multimeter, sound card oscillo, soldering iron...

can have access to an old oscillo (better than my sound card...)

*see http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,92929.0.html dunno is that can help , it seems to be for 16F pics but (don't know nothing to pics ) is it worth digging in just in case nobody have a pic iscp around me ?

Can't wait for your answers, indications guys

<edit>
after perusing here a bit, shorting pgc & pgd don't make mode blink , people seems to say that it means the pic is dead but is it a "natural behavior" (to indicate it is in programming mode or is it the bootloader that induces this (ie damaged booleader could prevent it ? )
</edit>

jegeva
jegeva

Re: BP3 flatlined

Postby Sjaak » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:08 am

My best guess is a bad solderjoint in the rx/tx signals between the pic and ftdi chip. does it help if you press the chips? Or try to reflow the solderjoints.
Sjaak
Fellow
Fellow

Postby jegeva » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:15 am

Hello sjaak,

apparetnly it's not, i've "reflowed" (just a quick touch with my iron till the tin was "molten bright") the 4pins on both the pic & ftdi and controled the traces, everything is fine on this level,

i confirm that the pic is not dead ( have been able to burn a 4.4 bootloader on it through ICSP in MPLAB (the chip was recognized and all) so it's obviously an hardware problem / solder. Motivates me even more to repair it :p

i don't have access to a reflow oven to just nuke the problem, so, if you have more debuggin / bad solder hunting tips that would be more than welcome.

sincerely,

jegeva
jegeva

Postby ian » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:53 am

If you are able to actually program it with bootloader, does MODE come on when PGC and PGD are shorted? If not, I would guess the PIC as a dead oscillator or similar.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby jegeva » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Hello Ian,

i'm unable to program the pic via bootloader, it's still unresponsive on terminal.
(but still able to program it via mplab & icd2 on icsp), shorting pgc & pgd does nothing (no 20x blink).

i guess that since pgc povides and external clock (yeah really guessing completely newbies to pic) a dead internal osc could still prevent it from usage while still allowing it to be programmed.

yeah... that's bad, will have to keep that pic for something else and run it with an external xtal...
mouser here i am...

well thanks for the help anyway guys, i'll order a new pic and try to solder it back... will try to keep you posted
jegeva

Return to Bus Pirate Support