BPv4.0 and 4.0c - need help

Hacking multi-tool. Get one for $30, including worldwide shipping.

BPv4.0 and 4.0c - need help

Postby drjeseuss » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:40 am

I have two BPv4 boards I'd like to populate and use, but I'm having trouble indentifying them to populate correctly. I've downloaded the partslist, as well as a number of different versions of the .brd and .sch files, but none seem to match the boards I have. A major difference in the two boards is the IC numbering, for example, though other components are also off. Also, the board marked v4.0 doesn't match any .brd files I've found by this name. I've included images of both. I'm hoping someone can point me to the partslist (and if possible, .brd and .sch) for each of these boards. Thanks!

v4.0_Top.jpg
v4.0 Top

v4.0_Bot.jpg
v4.0 Bottom

v4.0c_Top.jpg
4.0c Top

v4.0c_Bot.jpg
v4.0c Bottom
drjeseuss

Re: BPv4.0 and 4.0c - need help

Postby ian » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:03 am

v4c is the Bus Pirate v4 now in production. The v4.0 is a test board that I built but never documented or made firmware for. All the Eagle Files should be in SVN:

http://code.google.com/p/dangerous-prot ... dware%2Fv4
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby drjeseuss » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:02 am

ian wrote:v4c is the Bus Pirate v4 now in production. The v4.0 is a test board that I built but never documented or made firmware for. All the Eagle Files should be in SVN:

http://code.google.com/p/dangerous-prot ... dware%2Fv4

Ian,
Thanks for the quick reply and link to the full BPv4 files. I'm not sure why I wasn't finding them. With this, it looks like I'll be good to go on the v4.0c. Time to order some parts. On the v4.0 test board, if I populated it, would the existing firmware work or is this board a paperweight? If it would work, any suggestions you can make in determining what goes where?
drjeseuss

Postby AndThen » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:22 pm

The proto-type with FTDI is documented HERE the schematic is THIS one

Not sure about the proper firmware version. Something prior to v5.9 (According to the doc page above, 5.9 includes the pic usb comms)
older v5.x precompiled firmwares
AndThen

Postby drjeseuss » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:40 am

AndThen, Thanks for the links! These will be a great help in getting this going. I look forward to the challenges of this project and hope to post my successes when these boards are completed.
drjeseuss

Postby ian » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:10 am

On the v4.0 test board, if I populated it, would the existing firmware work or is this board a paperweight? If it would work, any suggestions you can make in determining what goes where?

I never made firmware for it, so I doubt it.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby Sjaak » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:19 am

I think the regular bp firmware would work, after some minor tweaks to HardwareProfile.h.

i think you need to redefine the pins and peripherals to the ones used in the v4. I hope every reference in the protocols is using these defines :)
Sjaak
Fellow
Fellow

Postby drjeseuss » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:37 am

I may be asking for trouble, but I'm going to give it a shot. Once built, it'll at least be a nice looking paperweight... then it'll give me a good reason to learn more about the programming side to make it work (BIG maybe). In any case, it's soldering practice, and best case, it's a one(?) of a kind that'll get well used. To save some pain though, I'll be working on the v4.0c first.
drjeseuss

Return to Bus Pirate Support