alternative fully enclosed cases?

Anything not related to a specific project.

alternative fully enclosed cases?

Postby kenyee » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:13 pm

Has anyone been able to find any alternative cases to the DP6037 case?
Specifically, I'm looking for one that's enclosed on most of it except for an opening for a couple of connectors on one side...
kenyee

Re: alternative fully enclosed cases?

Postby arhi » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:30 pm

kenyee wrote:Has anyone been able to find any alternative cases to the DP6037 case?
Specifically, I'm looking for one that's enclosed on most of it except for an opening for a couple of connectors on one side...

check out shapeways, you can get a box for buspirate
bottom piece: http://www.shapeways.com/model/431530/c ... Box-search
top piece: http://www.shapeways.com/model/431532/c ... Box-search

check if it fits the version you have

if you dislike that bottom part has holes, just put a business card between pcb and bottom part and it's solved :D, search shapeways if there is maybe a newer version too
arhi

Postby Sleepwalker3 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks Arhi, haven't seen those before.

You can likely make a variant of the SOB by simply cutting a thick section of acrylic for the middle section, like a sort of square doughnut. You could either keep the existing SOB design and put one doughnut either side of the PCB, or you could design a different setup with single doughnut that is bigger on the ID than the PCB, but the case would be a bit bigger (assuming you stuck with the same profile on the PCB). Of course you could just buy a plain plastic Zippy box from your local electronics store too ;)
Sleepwalker3

Postby arhi » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:47 pm

guy who designed those is a forum member here (dsm) and his designs are really great. I have not tried the bus pirate (I do not really use bus pirate) but logic sniffer case works a treat :)
arhi

Postby ian » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:56 pm

guy who designed those is a forum member here (dsm) and his designs are really great

DSM didn't just design those cases, he influenced the whole DPXXYY standard PCB system :) His cases are great, but as Arhi said, be sure to make sure they match your EXACT version. We did flail around a lot about sizes for some time.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby arhi » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:21 pm

I had a feeling it was him who made you jump the pcb size standardization vagon :D.
arhi

Postby Sleepwalker3 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:05 pm

I was thinking of getting a BP at some stage, so it would be 3.6 or later 3.x not sure if those would fit. I can easily get cases cut anyway, so might just make a SOB case or something similar.
Sleepwalker3

Postby arakis » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:24 am

kenyee wrote:Has anyone been able to find any alternative cases to the DP6037 case?

There is a a laser cutting design that encloses all the sides.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=4362

If you're interested I could post the SVG laser cutting files here...
best regards FIlip.
arakis
Crew
Crew

Postby Sleepwalker3 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:48 am

Sounds good to me arakis
Sleepwalker3

Postby kenyee » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:16 pm

arakis wrote:If you're interested I could post the SVG laser cutting files here...

Sure...please do. That actually looks like an interesting alternative. And please write up the quick tutorial you mentioned in the previous thread.
Hypothetically, you could just create a new DP6037 case by including the top/bottom sheet and a few of the rings you sandwich in between. Then you can just dremel cutouts in a few of the sheets and you'll have a case w/ custom openings. Or sell rings w/ cutouts appropriately sized for 3.5mm jacks, RJ11 jacks, pin headers, etc.

How much did your case end up costing?
5euro (around $10 US) doesn't sound bad at all for parts that may still be reusable.
kenyee

Postby arakis » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:48 am

Here are the files, the case ends up costing $30 for 5 cases, or $6 a case if you order through Seeeds Laser cutting service... This is for the BPv3.6 case.. so 4 different laser cut's are needed...

If you want to built a custom case, I suggest just getting the DP6037_SoB_v2_template.svg and DP6037_SoB_v2__ring_template.svg laser cut.. You can even arrange them both on a singe 10x10cm sheet but you'll have to change the difficulty into normal... so the end cost will be $12.5 for 5pcs of template and ring template, which is good for 2 cases, with leftovers...so it ends up being 6.25 a case... If you order 10pcs, it'll come to $25 and this is good for 5 cases at $5 a case...

If we ever get around to sell these, my guesstimate would be that we would sell them for ~$6-$8, but this is not on the agenda currently..
Attachments
SoB_v2.zip
(6.77 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
best regards FIlip.
arakis
Crew
Crew

Postby arakis » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:53 am

The tutorial is already up in our Tutorial section.. http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Dan ... _Tutorials
more specificly
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Cus ... er_cutting

I'll add the original SU files to this post...

Also the dp6037 template is the exact same as the one used on our DP6037 case at seeed.. so all you need laser cut for a custom case is the ring templates....
Attachments
BP_SOB_v2.zip
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 92 times
best regards FIlip.
arakis
Crew
Crew

Return to General discussion