Seeedstudio and KiCad

Anything not related to a specific project.

Seeedstudio and KiCad

Postby gege2b » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 am

Hi all

I've done some search in this forum with no luck

I'm a KiCad user (open source rulezzz etc...), and I wish to order some of my design using Seeedstudio fusion service (as I read not so bad feedback about them)

But... Here is my problem : are the gerbers made in KiCad OK for seeed ?
Well, my real question is : does anyone already sent some design made in kicad to Seeed, and have you encourtered any problem ?

Another question I have : I wish to panelize some board, using gerbmerge (not at all userfriendly, but seems very powerfull), does anyone have some tips & trick ?

So much questions... Sorry about that :)
(very) innocuous prototypes ^_^
http://innocuousprototypes.gege2b.info
gege2b

Re: Seeedstudio and KiCad

Postby bearmos » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:25 pm

hi gege2b, welcome to Dangerous Prototypes!

First...
gege2b wrote:So much questions... Sorry about that :)

That's why we're all here!

gege2b wrote:Another question I have : I wish to panelize some board, using gerbmerge (not at all userfriendly, but seems very powerfull), does anyone have some tips & trick ?

There should be some useful information/scripts here:
viewtopic.php?t=4071&p=44018

As for the other stuff, I'm not a KiCad user. brian wrote a KiCad tutorial a while back, the values under the gerber section seem reasonable to me. I haven't ordered PCB's from Seeed, but I imagine they can deal with pretty much any standard gerber file.
bearmos

Postby andersm » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:28 pm

I didn't have any problems with the one design I sent to Seeed. IIRC the only change from the default export settings was to disable vertical mirroring of drill hole coordinates (when you load the files into a viewer, the holes from the drill file should line up with the Gerber files).
andersm

Postby gege2b » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:22 am

bearmos wrote:
gege2b wrote:Another question I have : I wish to panelize some board, using gerbmerge (not at all userfriendly, but seems very powerfull), does anyone have some tips & trick ?

There should be some useful information/scripts here:
viewtopic.php?t=4071&p=44018

Yeah ! thank you !
Indeed, when I look my files in gerbv, the outline seems pretty weird (as in http://mayhewlabs.com/3dpcb )
I'll look about that patch

bearmos wrote:As for the other stuff, I'm not a KiCad user. brian wrote a KiCad tutorial a while back, the values under the gerber section seem reasonable to me. I haven't ordered PCB's from Seeed, but I imagine they can deal with pretty much any standard gerber file.

I think so... I guess as long as a gerber viewer show me something correct, Seeed will deal with that without problem

andersm wrote:I didn't have any problems with the one design I sent to Seeed. IIRC the only change from the default export settings was to disable vertical mirroring of drill hole coordinates (when you load the files into a viewer, the holes from the drill file should line up with the Gerber files).

Eeeww ! I know ! this f**ing checkbox makes me lost some hairs, before doing some search on google
I dont mind why kicad keeps this checkbox set by default
gege2b

Postby erict » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:18 am

I've ordered at least 5 different projects from Seeed Studio using gerbers I created with KiCAD and have not had any troubles at all.
erict

Postby LLR6702 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:33 pm

I've ordered between 10 to 20 boards (different designs) this year from Seeed/Elecfreaks (same fab) using KiCAD gerber/excellon plots and never had any problems, ever. I do remember unchecking a Mirror Y in the drill output options (as stated above). Not part of the OP's question: Other PCB vendors including CircuitsWest, Millennium, and Imagineering never ever had any issues with KiCAD gerbers and drill files, as well.

I also check the plots using another publisher's gerber viewer (e.g., ViewMate). It does ask to confirm the format (click OK), but it still renders perfectly.
L²R
LLR6702

Postby gege2b » Thu May 30, 2013 8:27 am

Hi

Well, sorry for the big bad UP, but I've finally ordered my PCBs and I simply wish to share some info with you guys

First, indeed, KiCad gerbers are just OK for Seeed (according you're respecting all their design rules)
Second, Using gerbmerge to panelize several different boards is OK too, setting this tool is not so easy, but it is very good in his job !
Third, the KiCad's gerber option "substract mask from silk" (I dont know the english label exactly) seems incompatible with Gerbmerge !
Gerbmerge didn't support multiple drill files for one board (I.E. one for plated thru hole, other for simple holes), but I'm not sure, perhaps I've messed with his configuration

Voilà! Thats all :)
gege2b

Return to General discussion