Poll: Which OLS headers do you use very frequently?

A cheap logic analyzer. Get one for $50, including worldwide shipping. A collaboration between the Gadget Factory and Dangerous Prototypes.

Which OLS headers and buttons do you use very frequently when analyzing logic signals?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:28 pm

J2P - ICSP
No votes
JP3 - Program Enable
No votes
JP4 - Extern Header (EXT_CLOCK_OUT and EXT_TRIGGER_OUT)
21%
JP5 - ROMISP
No votes
JP6 - JTAG
No votes
JP9 - Extern Header (FPGA_AUX3 and EXT_CLOCK_IN)
21%
JP? - UART
5%
S1 - Reset Button
26%
S2 - Update Button
26%

Total votes : 19

Poll: Which OLS headers do you use very frequently?

Postby Max » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Please take this quick poll to help me make a 3D case/enclosure design for the OLS. I will make the STL design files available to everyone for free (as in no cost).

With the STL design files one can make the case using 3D printing. One could make the case at home, or have it made by a 3D printing service such as C.ideas, i.materialize, Ponko, Print To 3D, Sculpteo, and Shapeways.

Also, with the STL design files one can make the case using machining. To clarify, if the case is made using 3D printing, it will not need to be machined in any way.

Thanks in advance for your participation.
---
Thanks,
Max
Last edited by Max on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max

Re: Poll: Which OLS headers do you use very frequently?

Postby tayken » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Hey there,

So I guess I'm the first one. And here are my choices and why:
- JP4 & JP9: The pins are always populated. + These are available on most LAs.
- Buttons: Although the project is now stable, it is nice to be able to update the firmware without taking off the case.

I didn't select the others, but they may have pins populated (ROM-ISP, PE, UART), so look out for those.
tayken
Developer
Developer

Postby Max » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:41 pm

Is there any case where the Update button is used for anything that does not involve changing the OLS's firmware? I did not see any mention on the OLS docs that suggested such a case.

Thanks,
Max
Max

Postby tayken » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Nope. But keep in mind someone can write a new firmware that uses the Update button for sth in the future.
tayken
Developer
Developer

Postby Max » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:38 am

tayken wrote:keep in mind someone can write a new firmware that uses the Update button for sth in the future.

OK, I will keep that in mind.

Please pardon my ignorance: what is "sth"?

According to:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Logic_Sniffer_101
"To enter ROM update mode, press the reset button while holding the update button." Will the OLS enter ROM update mode if the Update and Reset buttons are briefly pressed simultaneously (like for less than half a second)? I'd test this myself if I knew doing the test would not permanently cause my new OLS to stop functioning. I ask because I am planning to make the case buttons larger than the PCB buttons, for easier access. So, I have some concern the ROM update mode might be accidentally triggered with the Update and Reset buttons being so close together.

What is your (and any everyone else's) opinion about having the Update button accessible, yet flush with the case or slightly recessed from the face of the case?
---
Thanks,
Max
Max

Postby tayken » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Max wrote:Please pardon my ignorance: what is "sth"?

Short hand for "something". It was pretty late for me at that time. :)

Max wrote:Will the OLS enter ROM update mode if the Update and Reset buttons are briefly pressed simultaneously (like for less than half a second)? I'd test this myself if I knew doing the test would not permanently cause my new OLS to stop functioning.

Yes, but you first release reset button, then update button. Or plug into USB while holding down the update button. This will not do any harm, you just use the accompanying computer program to flash new firmware and bitstream to OLS. Or you can just reset it and there will be no change.

Max wrote:What is your (and any everyone else's) opinion about having the Update button accessible, yet flush with the case or slightly recessed from the face of the case?

Well, you don't have to access it all the time. In the case I designed, the button openings are just the size of the buttons and the button surface is about 3 mm below the case surface. I use a pen tip to put it into update mode. For me there is no need for easy access, I just wanted to be able to put it into update mode without disassembling the case.
tayken
Developer
Developer

Postby Max » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:25 am

tayken wrote:In the case I designed, the button openings are just the size of the buttons and the button surface is about 3 mm below the case surface. I use a pen tip to put it into update mode. For me there is no need for easy access, I just wanted to be able to put it into update mode without disassembling the case.

Please post a photo of your OLS case. Also, if you are willing, please post any design files for your OLS case, or send them to me in a private message. If you send any design files to me, please be assured I will not share them anywhere without your consent.

If you have design files for your case, it would be terrific if you made them available to everyone using Thingiverse.com.
---
Thanks! :)
Max
Max

Postby Max » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 am

tayken wrote:Well, you don't have to access it all the time. In the case I designed, the button openings are just the size of the buttons and the button surface is about 3 mm below the case surface. I use a pen tip to put it into update mode. For me there is no need for easy access...

I especially appreciate you describing your perspective on the accessibility of the Update button. Thank you very, very much for that.

tayken wrote:I just wanted to be able to put it into update mode without disassembling the case.

That is also very much my sentiment on the Update button accessibility. So, I plan on designing the case's Update button in a very similar way as you did with your OLS enclosure design.

If I may ask, what material did you use to construct the case?
---
Max
Max

Postby tayken » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:45 am

The picture of my OLS case is attached to this message. I have the design done in Solidworks, then exported the surfaces to DXF format. I have them on my computer, but I am keeping them for a blog post. + There is a little bit of controversy behind thingiverse so I am staying away from that. However, they will be available in GitHub.

I used 3mm acrylic for the case. It has a total of 5 layers: Bottom layer, PCB layer, 2 holder layers which have strategically placed "fingers" to hold the PCB down and a top layer.
Attachments
DSC_0006.JPG
tayken
Developer
Developer

Postby Max » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:02 pm

tayken wrote:The picture of my OLS case is attached to this message.

Cool.... thank you for posting the picture. :)

tayken wrote:I have the design done in Solidworks, then exported the surfaces to DXF format. I have them on my computer, but I am keeping them for a blog post.

Ahhh... I understand. ;)

tayken wrote:There is a little bit of controversy behind thingiverse so I am staying away from that.

There is?? Please tell me, what is the controversy? I have not heard any of that, and I would like to know. If you think that will stray too far from the topic thread, then please feel free to personal message me.
---
Thanks,
Max
Max

THANK YOU to all voters in this thread!

Postby Max » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:49 am

THANK YOU to all the people who voted in my "Poll: Which OLS headers do you use very frequently?". I really appreciate your help.

And, if you are an OLS user with some experience who has not voted yet in this poll, please do. Your feedback is important; and, it will help everyone who needs a free (as in no cost) OLS case/enclosure design that can be 3D printed and machined.
---
Max
Max

Postby Max » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:25 am

tayken wrote:The picture of my OLS case is attached to this message.

I noticed in your case design you made holes to enable access to the UART header, JP5 (ROMISP), and JP3 (Program Enable). If I may ask, what is the reason you made those headers accessible through the case? Please keep in mind I am still new to the OLS.
---
Thanks,
Max
Max

Postby tayken » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Because they had the pins installed by default. Enabling access was easier than desoldering those headers.
tayken
Developer
Developer

Postby Max » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:20 am

tayken wrote:Because they had the pins installed by default. Enabling access was easier than desoldering those headers.

Ah... I see. That makes sense.
---
Thanks,
Max
Max

Return to Open Bench Logic Sniffer