USB infrared toy not registered

USB infrared remote control receiver/transmitter. Get one for $20, including worldwide shipping.

USB infrared toy not registered

Postby wiguy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:21 am

Hi.
I just got my USB infrared toy v2 today.
Been trying for a while, but no computer are registering that it is connected.
The indicator light flashes once when plugging in power. I've also tried shorting PGC and PGD, and instead of a single flash, the light stays on. But it is not registered in windows/linux.

I've tried with two different cables. Assuming this thing doesn't draw alot of power, the quality of the cable is no problem. The ones I got looks pretty cheap and came with other equipment. Is it possible that the cable only connects power? That would be unusual IMO, especially for a mini usb. I think one of the cables is for transferring images from an old camera, and should have both signal and power.
I've tried on four(!) different computers, two running windows 7, one ubuntu server and a raspberry pi. There is no activity on windows, no indication of anything. No new devices in device manager, no info about a missing device driver etc. I've tried installing the driver manually and it shows up as COM4, but with a message "This device cannot start". When trying to install new firmware (v22), the device is not found (not surprisingly). On ubuntu (debian on rpi), I've just tried lsusb and looking for new tty devices. Nothing shows up.

The device is powered, both with an without short, it is not registered in any way on the computer.
Any good tips out there? :)

Also, can someone clear this up for me?
When starting with shorted PGC and PGD, the device should be recognized as a com port?
When starting normally (no short), the device should be a HID USB input device?
Is this correct?
wiguy

Re: USB infrared toy not registered

Postby dinomight » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:11 pm

You have it backwards.

With pgc and pgd connected, the device is placed in bootloader mode (ie USB_HID) (led always on...used for programming the firmware on the device).

When disconnected it should be normal mode (ie com port) (led blinks when it detects ir signal).

Here are a couple of things you could post in a reply to help diagnose.

This is easist done in linux... use and post the following:

Code: Select all
lsusb

look for this line
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04d8:fd0b Microchip Technology, Inc.

dmesg

Post those in a reply

Then when you are in the bootloader folder (the folder with fw_update) run the following
fw_update -ver -vid 0x04D8 -pid 0xFD0B -ix

ls /dev/hid*

and
ls /dev/*tty*

These will help figure out where anything was mounted.
These commands will help diagnose the problem properly....
Make sure that you are running these as root or with elevated permissions. In other words put sudo in front of all of the commands
sudo lsusb
sudo dmesg
sudo fw_update -ver -vid 0x04D8 -pid 0xFD0B -ix
sudo ls /dev/hid*
sudo ls /dev/*tty*

And one last thing to try... flashing:
sudo fw_update -e -w -v -m flash -vid 0x04D8 -pid 0xFD0B -ix USBIRToy.v22.hex

If it works you should see this:
U2IO flash erasing: DONE.
U2IO flash programming: DONE.
U2IO flash verifying: DONE.
RESET Device
Operation successfully completed.
dinomight

Postby dinomight » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:57 pm

OK I reread the posts and I realize I might have come across as condescending. I really don't mean that...I'm just not sure how much or this stuff you p know. Better to catch it all so we don't have to do 50 posts. One addendum... on the dmesg part just send some stuff from before it is plugged in,all the way to removing the device.

Another thing I can't remember exactly but when I was using it (as com port, it was attached as atty0 or something like that hence the is *tty* .

One last thing you might need to change your udev security to add a line for 04d8:fd0b . I don't think so but you might.(I can send that line later if needed(sorry can't remember the syntax off the top of my head...

( sent from my tablet//)
dinomight

Postby wiguy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:54 am

Oh don't worry about it. I do some support now and then myself. I know how it is :)

What I did?
Shorted PGD and PGC, and plugged in power. Light is constant ON.
Then did commands...

lsusb output
myuser@server:~$ sudo lsusb
[sudo] password for myuser:
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0cf3:7015 Atheros Communications, Inc. TP-Link TL-WN821N v3 802.11n [Atheros AR7010+AR9287]

dmesg output does not change at all. I can post the output if you'd like, but all it tells you is that I'm setting up a wlan and using another usb device, plus the regular output. The output is about 1300 lines, so I'll leave it out unless you want to take a look at it.
This means I can do this:
BEFORE=`sudo dmesg`
--plug in usb infrared toy
AFTER=`sudo dmesg`
--and then BEFORE=AFTER
... leading me to think the usb plug on the device is not working. The port I plugged it in is working btw.

sudo fw_update -ver -vid 0x04D8 -pid 0xFD0B -ix
myuser@server:~$ sudo fw_update -ver -vid 0x04D8 -pid 0xFD0B -ix
fw_update Version: 0.2.0
I have no idea what kind of version I'm running btw :P I just followed a link... Let me know if there is a newer somewhere.

ls /dev/hid*
myuser@server:~$ ls /dev/hid*
ls: cannot access /dev/hid*: No such file or directory

ls /dev/*tty*
myuser@server:~$ ls /dev/*tty*
/dev/tty    /dev/tty15   /dev/tty22  /dev/tty3   /dev/tty37  /dev/tty44   /dev/tty51  /dev/tty59   /dev/tty9   /dev/ttyS14  /dev/ttyS21  /dev/ttyS29  /dev/ttyS8
/dev/tty0   /dev/tty16   /dev/tty23  /dev/tty30   /dev/tty38  /dev/tty45   /dev/tty52  /dev/tty6   /dev/ttyprintk   /dev/ttyS15  /dev/ttyS22  /dev/ttyS3   /dev/ttyS9
/dev/tty1   /dev/tty17   /dev/tty24  /dev/tty31   /dev/tty39  /dev/tty46   /dev/tty53  /dev/tty60   /dev/ttyS0   /dev/ttyS16  /dev/ttyS23  /dev/ttyS30
/dev/tty10  /dev/tty18   /dev/tty25  /dev/tty32   /dev/tty4   /dev/tty47   /dev/tty54  /dev/tty61   /dev/ttyS1   /dev/ttyS17  /dev/ttyS24  /dev/ttyS31
/dev/tty11  /dev/tty19   /dev/tty26  /dev/tty33   /dev/tty40  /dev/tty48   /dev/tty55  /dev/tty62   /dev/ttyS10   /dev/ttyS18  /dev/ttyS25  /dev/ttyS4
/dev/tty12  /dev/tty2   /dev/tty27  /dev/tty34   /dev/tty41  /dev/tty49   /dev/tty56  /dev/tty63   /dev/ttyS11   /dev/ttyS19  /dev/ttyS26  /dev/ttyS5
/dev/tty13  /dev/tty20   /dev/tty28  /dev/tty35   /dev/tty42  /dev/tty5   /dev/tty57  /dev/tty7   /dev/ttyS12   /dev/ttyS2   /dev/ttyS27  /dev/ttyS6
/dev/tty14  /dev/tty21   /dev/tty29  /dev/tty36   /dev/tty43  /dev/tty50   /dev/tty58  /dev/tty8   /dev/ttyS13   /dev/ttyS20  /dev/ttyS28  /dev/ttyS7
No change there neither btw.

And one last thing. Couldn't find binaries for fw_update. Where are they located? (if they exist) I ended up compiling the thing, but it turned out to be a pain. A few missing includes is expected and easy to solve. But the configure script seemed to have a bug.
Had to change
ac_link='$CXX -o conftest$ac_exeext $CXXFLAGS $CPPFLAGS $LDFLAGS conftest.$ac_ext $LIBS >&5'
to
ac_link='$CXX -o conftest$ac_exeext $CPPFLAGS $LDFLAGS conftest.$ac_ext $CXXFLAGS $LIBS >&5'

because the -lusb seemed to be ignored if specified before the input files. This is when the configure script does a test compile of a cpp-file with a usb call. This seems do be done to confirm that libusb exists.

EDIT: I now see that you wanted the dmesg before[ plugging in the device. I was not allowed to post such a long post! And there was even some text not deemed too spammy for a new user :D Posting a link is also not allowed for new user it seems.
So take a look at baekkevold-net/dmesg-html. Exchange - with .

EDIT2: Forgot to add log from flashing.
myuser@server:~/dev/USBIRToy.package.v22/firmware$ sudo fw_update -e -w -v -m flash -vid 0x04D8 -pid 0xFD0B -ix USBIRToy.v22.hex
[sudo] password for myuser:
U2IO flash erasing: 0%
U2IO flash erasing: FAILED.
Device is not found.
Operation aborted.
wiguy

Postby dinomight » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:26 am

It looks like you've tried almost every thing. I just looks like the usb device is never enumerated.

your dmesg looks good but nothing happens at all, you should see something. My guess is that you've got a bad board.

It gets power.... the chip itself will switch modes (bootloader, normal) , it just doesn't send signal to the computer. It's funny a bus pirate could probably help you....

If possible i'd ask for a replacement.... I feel like you've explored every avenu.
For kicks and giggles you might try tracing the pins as they come off of the usb port.... make sure they make it to the correct pins on the chip... i think the chip is alright seeing as it will switch modes properly, and most pins on the chip are working(power,etc). But if one or two of the lines coming off of the chip weren't good you'd see this kind of behavior (i think) I'm sure there is probably someone else more knowlagable than me that might have more suggestions. But if it were me i'd grab my volt meter and check each pin on the usb (there are leads on the back) to their respecive pins on the chip. Sorry i couldn't suggest more, but if you do figure out something more i'd love to hear what the solution was.

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/ima ... oy-vii.png
dinomight

Postby arakis » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:07 am

It seems like you got a dud.
Contact Seeed about a replacement, and link to this post in the email.
Let us know how it goes...
best regards FIlip.
arakis
Crew
Crew

Postby wiguy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:23 pm

I did that before work today. Let's see how it goes :)
wiguy

Postby Tracy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:48 pm

I had a similar situation to. Pls let me know the result
Tracy

Postby wiguy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:45 am

I got an email today letting me know that seed will be sending a new device :)

Good customer support atleast, although a little slow...

I'll post here again when I get a new one.
wiguy

Return to USB Infrared Toy