Comment spam suggestion

Anything not related to a specific project.

Comment spam suggestion

Postby t0mpr1c3 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:13 am

Just a suggestion - have a /!\ box next to comments on the blog pages so that readers can flag spam for the attention of moderators.
Magic Smoke projects
Tindie store
t0mpr1c3

Re: Comment spam suggestion

Postby ian » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:37 am

Thanks for the suggestion.

Are you seeing any? I get every comment in my personal email so I usually zap them right away. Might be missing some though as the site grows.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby t0mpr1c3 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:27 am

I saw some dubious promotion of legal services a few days ago. None since.

Actually my comments to DP blog posts don't seem to be making it through these days. Is that a spam filter thing?
Magic Smoke projects
Tindie store
t0mpr1c3

Postby ian » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:11 am

We use akismet, the wordpress spam checker. It's pretty good, but I did find a bunch of your comments in the spam folder. I approved them all. Please let me know if it continues to be a problem.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby t0mpr1c3 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks Ian!
Magic Smoke projects
Tindie store
t0mpr1c3

Postby Nincompoop » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:49 pm

When someone creates an account, and does not post within 24 hours, does that mean the chosen handle (nick name, user name) will be unusable from then on?

(Note this post is actually also intended to prevent the above from happening.)
Nincompoop

Postby Rickta59 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:29 pm

I don't really have any spam fighting suggestions. I'm just posting here so my account doesn't disappear.

Thanks,

-rick
Rickta59

Postby ian » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:09 am

does that mean the chosen handle (nick name, user name) will be unusable from then on?

No, the companion to the 24 hour requirement is that all non-posting accounts are purged every day. Otherwise someone could post after 24 hours one time, then spray spam until someone noticed.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby Sleepwalker3 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:34 am

The 'user warning' type suggestion above would be good I think (eg. Flag as spam), though it might be best if it only worked for members with a decent amount of posts, just in case somebody new tried to abuse it. The 'regulars' would pick it up pretty quickly.
I still recall that hilarious one back in April about the Oakley sunglasses and Crushed Limestone (I think Brent will remember that one). It was so funny (stupid) (the worst translated spam I think I've seen) I saved the text before you took it down - Oh well, I guess spam was useful for something, it gave a few DP readers a good laugh!
Sleepwalker3

Postby ian » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:36 am

That was a good one. I think it was only up for so long because it was the last time I was in china.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby GvendurE » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:40 am

just needed to do a post to save my account.

GvendurE
GvendurE

Postby oakkar7 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:24 pm

Yesterday, I commented at the post about BP educational pack. Seem my IP is in spam list.
I notice that DP blog use wordpress spam filter which filters according to spammer lists. I tried to post three times but no respond.

Problem is that.

I am from Myanmar and I notice that some of my ISP proxy addresses are in spammer lists such as botscout.com, www.stopforumspam.com, projecthoneypot.org. But please notice that all users in Myanmar are behind those proxies and firewall. These IP address 203.81.175.xxx is belong to my ISP Yatanarpon Teleport.
If you block these IP range, no one from Myanmar cannot comment or post to forum because there is only One public ISP in Myanmar(Yes, if you believe it or not :D).
I post here because I cannot inform with other ways.

(This is not the first time I face this issue. When I registered to EEVBlog forum, the registration confirmation/approve email is never been arrived. I believe that my email address is not a spam issue. If some one from EEVforum is here, help me this issue.)
Thanks all.

"Hello World" from Myanmar.
oakkar7

Postby ian » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:34 am

Sorry about that. I found the emails and marked them not-spam, hopefully you won't have any more problem.
ian
Crew
Crew

Return to General discussion