selftest errors

A cheap logic analyzer. Get one for $50, including worldwide shipping. A collaboration between the Gadget Factory and Dangerous Prototypes.

Re: selftest errors

Postby nivid » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:47 am

I tried updating the driver. Is that what you mean? It just tells me that it already has the best available driver, but still shows it as "Unknown Device". Can I update the firmware and bitstream when it's not even showing up as a COM port?

edit: Also tried uninstalling the device and reinstalling. Still no luck.
nivid

Postby ian » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:12 am

I'm sorry for the continuing problems. I would suspect a rouge driver as the USB CDC used by the Logic Sniffer is a standard protocol supported directly by every operating system.

Windows should prompt you for a device driver (really just an INF file) the first time the hardware is connected. If not, you may have some old drivers in your system claiming all generic USB CDC devices if it says best available driver found. On windows 7 I am able to force it to use a specific driver and point at the .inf in the update package. Is that possible?

What driver does it say is currently used?

You can update the firmware by connecting the PGC and PGD pins of the ICSP header with a bit of wire, then press the reset button. The hardware will connect as a USB HID device (not COM port), and you can run the update package or use the various utilities included. Here's the officials and a list of user-created alternatives:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Ope ... er#Updates
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby nivid » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:42 pm

I've tried uninstalling it from the device manager, unplugging and replugging it makes windows give me the same message - that there was an error installing the driver. Trying to update the driver and pointing it to the inf file makes it tell me that it already has the best driver installed, but it's not showing any driver installed...

Shorting the PGC and PGD pins with a jumper didn't change anything. It still comes up listed as "Unknown Device".
nivid

Postby ian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:52 am

Hi nivid,

If the problem persists after these tests, it could be another defective board. I can ask Seeed to send you one directly if you PM me your email.
*Different USB ports
*Different USB cables
*Does it connect in bootloader mode?
*Different computer system?

If you tried these and it still shows unknown, I would have to guess it is a bad board. I'm really sorry about that. I'll get it replaced.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby nivid » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:53 pm

Tried different USB ports, two different computers, and bootloader mode. It shows up as "unknown device" on all of them and won't let me install a driver (says it already has the best one... even though no driver is installed). I didn't try a different cable since this is my only one.
nivid

Postby nivid » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:45 pm

I still have the first board (with the bad 2.5v regulator). Maybe I could just take the regulator off the second board and put it on the first board? Or should I bother trying to fix it?
nivid

Postby tayken » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:26 am

nivid wrote:I still have the first board (with the bad 2.5v regulator). Maybe I could just take the regulator off the second board and put it on the first board? Or should I bother trying to fix it?

Can you try that USB cable with the old board once more to see if it'll show up as "Unknown Device" or not? If old board shows up as normal, you have another defective unit. If not, it is time to buy a new USB cable.

If the second one is defective and ıf you are willing to do it, why not? But it is really bad luck that you got 2 defective boards. You can contact them again (or Seeed) and show this thread. Third time is the charm (maybe?).
tayken
Developer
Developer

Postby nivid » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:08 pm

tayken wrote:Can you try that USB cable with the old board once more to see if it'll show up as "Unknown Device" or not? If old board shows up as normal, you have another defective unit. If not, it is time to buy a new USB cable.

If the second one is defective and ıf you are willing to do it, why not? But it is really bad luck that you got 2 defective boards. You can contact them again (or Seeed) and show this thread. Third time is the charm (maybe?).

The first board does not show up as unknown device. I'll try to replace the broken voltage regulator on it tomorrow.
nivid

Postby nivid » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Bam. Swapped the voltage regulator out and it updated fine + passed the self test. I'm assuming it'll work fine now... :)
nivid

Postby tayken » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:42 am

nivid wrote:Bam. Swapped the voltage regulator out and it updated fine + passed the self test. I'm assuming it'll work fine now... :)

Wooot! Nice. :)

I am still troubled with the "new" one showing up as an "Unknown Device". It can be a firmware problem, or there is a HW problem within the USB circuitry.
tayken
Developer
Developer

Previous

Return to Open Bench Logic Sniffer