Have I messed my IRT up? [Windows 7]

USB infrared remote control receiver/transmitter. Get one for $20, including worldwide shipping.

Have I messed my IRT up? [Windows 7]

Postby Transmission » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Hello,

I've just got my IRT, bought the premade one as I'm lazy like that. However, I made the mistake of telling Windows (7) it could update my drivers for me, now the toy has stopped appearing on Device Manager as COM Port 3 / IRToy, and is now a 'USB Input Device'.

When I try and manually specify either of the .inf files, it says it doesn't support 64 bit (my architecture), but looking in the .infs, they do.

I've tried using a system restore, but no dice. Uninstall then re-plug in, same, just comes up as a 'USB Input Device'.

Do any of you guys have any advice for me to try out?

Great to be here,

Transmission
Transmission

Re: Have I messed my IRT up? [Windows 7]

Postby JermZone » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:20 pm

You and I may be experiencing similar issues. Did you see my post? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4495
JermZone

Postby ian » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:07 am

I made the mistake of telling Windows (7) it could update my drivers for me, now the toy has stopped appearing on Device Manager as COM Port 3 / IRToy, and is now a 'USB Input Device'.

Wow, thanks Transmission, I think you may have uncovered an unknown WIn7 problem people are having with the IR Toy. I have never seen the update drivers prompt. JermZone did you also have this happen?

Is the LED lit all the time too? If that is the case you might be stuck in bootloader mode. Did you try either of these tricks from the FAQ:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3572

Q. My IR Toy was working fine, but now it doesn't connect to the USB port. Is it broken?
A. A firmware update will often fix this. Connect the PGC and PGD pins of the ICSP header with a bit of wire and plug in the IR Toy. It should show up as a USB HID device. Then run the update program available here.

Q. The IR Toy is stuck in upgrade/bootloader mode. It appears as a USB HID device and the indicator LED (I) is on. How do I get out?
A. Upload the latest firmware over USB to get unstuck. Once you jump to the bootloader by typing $ in the terminal you must complete an upgrade, or exit cleanly with the fw_update application, or it will stick in the bootloader mode.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby Transmission » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:19 pm

Hi Ian,

Sorry for the lateness of my reply, and yes, the orange light is forever on on my IRToy! Am I stuck in bootload?

Regards,

Transmission
Transmission

Postby Transmission » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi Ian,

I did as you suggested and connected PGC and PGD, then replugged it in. I ran the update-USBIRToy.v22 batch, and it asked for a COM Port number, I hit enter, hoping for the best, and it clearly did *something*, because it gave me two percentages, then I exited the DOS window without taking a screenshot, derp.

Then I replugged the device sans PGC-PGD connector, and I'm still getting the constant orange light, which leads me to believe I might not have fixed it.
Transmission

Postby Transmission » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:41 pm

I have a screen grab now, this is me updating to v2.2. I still get the solid yellow light when I remove the wire and plug back in, and it still has no COM port, but it will work as a TV-B-Gone, which is odd.

Transmission

Postby Transmission » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:11 pm

[Update] [Update] [Update] [Update] [Update] [Update].

As if by magic/idiocy, it now works. I just followed the steps in the setup guide. A lot.
Transmission

Postby ian » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:47 am

Glad you got it, sorry for my late reply.

For anyone else trying for a screen capture, you can add "pause" to the end of the .bat file and it will wait after the programming is complete.

As for the issue - hum, could be something like the EEPROM not being erased properly in some situations because of a missing command line parameter. IF there are any more reports, or if you have problems again, please let me know and I will dig deeper into it.
ian
Crew
Crew

Return to USB Infrared Toy