Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Anything not related to a specific project.

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby drjeseuss » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:12 am

mrazekkarel wrote:The hardest part to get is the Ethernet jack with the integrated magnetics. However, Digikey carries the one I used (J00-0065NL). They are not exactly cheap but work well.

For anyone looking for this part, Numato carries them for $1.95 us currently. They are located in India so there's a bit of cost for shipping but not terrible. Depending on what else you may order, this could save you, especially if you;re needing several of these jacks. They're very prompt to ship orders and they have been very helpful by email as well. Here's a link to the ethernet jacks from their store.

http://www.numato.com/rj45-ethernet-connector-with-magnetics
drjeseuss

Postby maketronix » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:22 pm

You're correct on that being a gps. Its a Globalsat ET102. It's got a TTL serial interface on it. The datasheet is easy to find on google.
maketronix

Postby mrazekkarel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:48 am

drjeseuss wrote:
mrazekkarel wrote:The hardest part to get is the Ethernet jack with the integrated magnetics. However, Digikey carries the one I used (J00-0065NL). They are not exactly cheap but work well.

For anyone looking for this part, Numato carries them for $1.95 us currently. They are located in India so there's a bit of cost for shipping but not terrible. Depending on what else you may order, this could save you, especially if you;re needing several of these jacks. They're very prompt to ship orders and they have been very helpful by email as well. Here's a link to the ethernet jacks from their store.

http://www.numato.com/rj45-ethernet-connector-with-magnetics

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if those are the same pinout but they look similar. I will have to give those a try in the future and see how they work.
mrazekkarel

Postby Tejeev » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:22 am

Hi all, my name is Tj. A friend and I are working on some automation kits for a planted aquarium and pretty much want to gather as much sensor information from the aquarium as possible. We have an Arduino Uno R3 and a MSP430 Launchpad and are looking to find projects to become more intimately familiar with the different things we can do with them. I personally have a number of printers and a scanner that I can disassemble and add to the boxes as well as the willingness to go out and buy something if necessary. Mostly just noobs but interested in automating everything from my lights to my aquarium and interested in becoming a part of a knowledgeable community while doing it. Willing to add some waterproofed temp sensors that we made to the bundle and will look into any requests if there are any.
That said, if we aren't found to have to little to contribute, I would like to be added to both lists.
Thanks,
TJ
Tejeev

Postby systemstech » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:01 am

Tejeev Welcome to the forum. I'll add you to both list. You should create a post under the category of "project logs" . I'm sure you'll get lots of help from the members here.
systemstech

Postby drjeseuss » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:17 pm

I just got the box. With the holiday it will take me a few days before I can look things over, make the swaps, and resend. I hope to have it out before next Friday.
drjeseuss

Postby Tejeev » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:58 pm

Thanks systemstech!
Ill do that presently.
Tejeev

Postby systemstech » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:10 pm

updated list if someone is missing please add yourselves to the list.

1. schazamp
2. 99guspuppet
3. buzzdavidson
4. tango25
5. blarson
6. Blodgar
7. Chankster
8. touch
9. erict
10. sqkybeaver
11. mrazekkarel
12. rledyard
13. maketronix
14. ducksauz
15. cstack89
16. drjeseuss
17. Sal_The_Tiller
18. binaryguy
19. SimplicityGuy
20. pib
21. voidxar
22. heathkid
23. touch
24. systemstech
25. sqkybeaver
26. buzzdavidson
27. Tejeev
28. TomKeddie
systemstech

Postby drjeseuss » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:47 am

I've completed my swapping of parts. This ran me a bit longer than planned due to the holiday. I'll be shipping the box out Monday to it's next destination (Sal_The_Tiller).

Out:
PC300001.JPG
Out

Stellaris Launchpad
    AVR UC3 Xplained
    16-key pad
    4 misc protoboards
    Russian VFD tube
    3 Industrial LED displays
    Through-hole diodes and LEDs
    Small bag of misc SMD components
    Dual pot
    2 Finger lights
    2 Tubes of misc ICs (PIC16F59, 12F683, 555 timers)
    PLCC Socket

In:
PC300002.JPG
In

2 MAX7456
    ENC28J60
    2 MAG3110FCR1
    4 S876417
    2 LIS3LV02DL
    3 AS3900-BQFP
    AS5040
    3 PIC2FJ64GA
    16 680uf 16v electrolytic cap
    2 Tubes heatsink compound
    WLAN card
    2 microphones
    Mic/LED input board
    Dial pot
    3v Battery w/ connector
    40-pin solid state drive
    128Mb memory module
    Audio/USB connector board
    Jumbo connector jacks with plugs
    2 DVI-VGA adapters
    3 LED output boards
    LS2208 barcode scanner board with all functioning parts
    Male-female serial cable (still useful with older gear I think)
    large number of parts bags (not ESD-safe, for discretes, etc)

There were quite a few damaged boards and PLCC sockets (mostly due to badly bent pins) in the box as well as several bags of components (removed by blowtorch?) as previously mentioned, but I did not need to remove them for space. I'd suggest they be first to go if space becomes an issue at future stops, unless someone has a need for them of course. Also, there were several empty ESD bags, and several loose boards too big to fit in those bags. Might I suggest anyone having extra empty ESD bags, throw them in the box in case someone wants to add a populatd board but doesn't have a bag for it. Also, some ESD bubble-wrap would be helpful space permitting.
drjeseuss

Postby buzzdavidson » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:31 pm

Somewhat unrelated: I ordered 50 SN74HC595s from an eBay vendor and received something that was obviously counterfeit. The product number printed on top of the chip is an odd font that I haven't seen on any TI parts before and it doesn't work like a 595. The vendor rectified the situation and sent me honest-to-goodness 595s as replacement (after apologizing profusely). My question is this: does anyone want these things, or should I just toss them?
buzzdavidson

Postby matseng » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:58 pm

(Even more unrelated) Counterfeiting a product worth $0.15 or so seems silly... I mean where's the profit? It's not like you can sell 100 000's of them without getting caught.

Did they look brand new, was the legs unblemished and perfectly straight? I.E not just random pulls from old pcb's?
matseng

Postby buzzdavidson » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:33 pm

No , they are brand new. The vendor confirmed that they are indeed mislabeled. Why would someone do this on such a cheap part? Who knows. Maybe they got ahold of a few reels of unlabeled parts and decided to mark them as 595s. According to the vendor, no part is immune from being counterfeited. I'm just happy that the seller rectified the situation.
buzzdavidson

Postby drjeseuss » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:02 am

Just a heads up to those who are watching/waiting, I messaged Sal_The_Tiller last Saturday to make sure the box arrived ok. He confirmed that it did and said he'll be posting soon.
drjeseuss

Postby Sal_The_Tiller » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:08 am

Hey everybody, sorry it's taken me so long but I've had to deal with moving back to my dorm so things have been a little hectic. I messaged binaryguy Sunday, but I haven't gotten a response yet (the message is also in my Outbox, could that be it?). Anyway, here's my swap:

Out:
  • FPGA Dev Board
  • Sylvania Electron Tube
  • One Wedding Widget PCB and the parts to make it (the other one is still in the box)
In:
  • Propeller Quickstart
  • MSP430 SMT
  • 50 Red LEDs
  • Small Keyswitch (not secure, you can switch it with a screwdriver)
  • Hooded Swtich w/LED
  • Capacitor assortment

Everything in the box was fine, I rebagged some DB25s that had cut free but everything else is okay.
Sal_The_Tiller

Postby ducksauz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:37 am

Sal:

Glad to see you grabbed a WeddingWidget board. Feel free to shoot me any questions you might have. Two major things to note:
* the ICSP header is meant to be accessed from the back of the board. I'm using pogopins to program them rather than soldering on header pins.
* Pin 1 on the LED matrix is not marked. When you install the LED matrix, the printing should be on the right side when the board is facing you.
ducksauz

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion