Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Anything not related to a specific project.

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby ducksauz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:36 pm

One option for the overflowing box problem is to split the box. That only leaves the question of how to do it. East/West? North/South? Just split it and send the forked box to the first person on the list? I'm not saying this is the solution, just tossing out an idea.
User avatar
ducksauz
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:45 am

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby cm0n3y34 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:12 am

Hello all, I just discovered this forum via a google search that lead me to a post on buzzdavidson's website. I tried adding my name to the official tgimboej wiki but I haven't heard anything thus far, so I'd like in on this.

I've got a ton of ideas floating around in my head for projects, but being poor I don't have access to parts, and hope this combined with scrapping old electronics will get me enough parts to make some of these ideas. Of course, I will post anything I make on this forum, and put parts into the box, mainly things I either cant afford parts to use (e.g. small servos) or parts I just have no idea how to use :D
-cm0n3y34
User avatar
cm0n3y34
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:22 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby drjeseuss » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:29 am

ducksauz wrote:One option for the overflowing box problem is to split the box. That only leaves the question of how to do it. East/West? North/South? Just split it and send the forked box to the first person on the list? I'm not saying this is the solution, just tossing out an idea.

I can't say I'm a fan of this, though I can't speak for all. I think a second box isn't a bad idea, but shouldn't be split from this one. Is a larger box an option? The parts I'll be adding are smaller so maybe I can find a use for some of the bigger pieces to help with space once it comes to me. Any other ideas to this issue?
User avatar
drjeseuss
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:07 am
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby systemstech » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Ok I think that we should split the box in two and make a box of components or anything that can be soldered to a PCB and blank PCB's. That will make lots more room in the big box. We should call it the "small box of components USA only." We'll use the "Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box" I think we'll take a vote and see what the others think. Only those opinions of the ones that received the box already and myself will be taken into consideration The rest will have to live with it.

If we decide to go for it The individual with the box at the time will have to inventory both boxes and take pictures and post the results. You will have two weeks to complete the task and then the boxes have to ship out. The small box should ship to the individual at the top of the list and the big box should continue where it left off. If you can't afford the shipping cost let me know and I'll paypal you the funds. If no one is up to the task, then when the box gets to me I'll make it happen.

Here's the list of those that can vote. Voting is open for one week 11/18/2012 - 11/25/2012.

ian
systemstech

1. sqkybeaver
2. schazamp
3. Chankster
4. buzzdavidson
5. tango25
6. blarson
7. Blodgar
8. erict
9. 99guspuppet
10. mrazekkarel
11. rledyard
12. maketronix
13. ducksauz

Please a yes or no and a small comment only.

Image

"The Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box is about the same size and shape as three stacked DVD cases, perfect for jewelry, electronics, event tickets, or other small items that need expedited shipping. And like all USPS flat rate boxes and envelopes, the new box is available free of charge. The Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box has a retail shipping price of $5.35 — one price, regardless of weight, up to 70 lbs. for U.S. addresses."
User avatar
systemstech
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:11 pm
Location: Homestead, FL. U.S.A.

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby systemstech » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:59 pm

I just tried to contact tango25 But looks like his account was deleted. Look out for the spam bot!! Post as often as possible. No one is safe!
User avatar
systemstech
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:11 pm
Location: Homestead, FL. U.S.A.

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby mrazekkarel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:10 pm

I vote yes for splitting off the components.
mrazekkarel
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby ducksauz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:13 pm

drjeseuss wrote:
ducksauz wrote:One option for the overflowing box problem is to split the box. That only leaves the question of how to do it. East/West? North/South? Just split it and send the forked box to the first person on the list? I'm not saying this is the solution, just tossing out an idea.

I can't say I'm a fan of this, though I can't speak for all. I think a second box isn't a bad idea, but shouldn't be split from this one. Is a larger box an option? The parts I'll be adding are smaller so maybe I can find a use for some of the bigger pieces to help with space once it comes to me. Any other ideas to this issue?


A larger box could be an option, but shipping costs would get more expensive and/or shipping times would get a lot slower. Priority Mail flat rate boxes give a nice balance between cost and shipping time and they're good for up to 70 pounds, so we don't have to worry about shipping cost variability due to weight. Once we go away from the flat rate boxes, shipping costs become variable based on weight.

Let's take a metrics driven approach to deciding what box to use for the 'solderable components' box.

Large Flat Rate Box - two sizes - $15.45
23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" = 835 in^3 ( $0.019/in^3 )
12" x 12" x 5-1/2" = 792 in^3 ( $0.020/in^3 )

Medium Flat Rate Box - two sizes - $11.35
13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" = 546 in^3 ( $0.021/in^3 )
11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" = 514 in^3 ( $0.022/in^3 )

Small Flat Rate Box - one size - $5.35
8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8" = 73 in^3 ( $0.073/in^3 )

Having used the small flat rate box to ship items in the past, I can tell you it's pretty darn small. It's also a complete PITA with regard to the way it goes together. While a bunch of solderable components on their own might fit well in a small box, once you account for anti-static bags for sensitive components, then that volume is going to fill up right quick. Also, given the fact that it's greater than 3X the cost per cubic inch, I think that the medium box is a better choice.

I'm for the box split. I think it should go like this:

Solderable Components Box:
* SMD and PTH components
* PCBs
* Small LCDs (e.g. up to 4 x 20 line character displays)

The Large Box:
* Servos
* Power supplies
* Keypads
* Large LCDs (e.g. that 3x3" LCD you salvaged from a printer )
* Other random salvage items
* etc

Or folks can just take more stuff out of the box, but they might not end up using the items as quickly.

Also, since the box is on its way to me, I'm happy to do the split if that's what we decide to do.
User avatar
ducksauz
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:45 am

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby ducksauz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:15 pm

Oops. I made a large comment.
I vote yes for splitting the box.
User avatar
ducksauz
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:45 am

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby Blodgar » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:17 pm

I agree with splitting the boxes. Components (relatively fragile and possibly static-sensitive) vs. "Durable Goods". I assume that switches would be split by the same method - e.g.surface-mount vs. spade-connector bat switches.
Blodgar
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby blarson » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:04 pm

I'll abstain on the box splitting. I see both good and bad points for it, and am not currently able to participate.

For the box, small flat rate seems to small. The less well known flat-rate padded envalope seems better, cheaper and it can fit a small flat-rate box inside. Not normally found in the post-office, you can request on usps.gov to mail you some for free. For PC boards and small parts, it seems perfect.

Also, for people with paypal commercial accounts (free) you can buy the postage cheaper and with free tracking there.
blarson
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:28 pm

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby rledyard » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:22 pm

splitting the box is fine with me.
rledyard
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby erict » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Splitting the box would be OK with me.

One other idea, although I'm not sure on how to make it work in practice. Could we create a part exchange of some sort? I put a couple displays into the box when I had it and I had a few more left, so I offered them to anyone in my post. One of the other forum members took me up on the offer and than sent me in exchange some parts he had.
User avatar
erict
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:13 am

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby drjeseuss » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:17 pm

systemstech wrote:Ok I think that we should split the box in two and make a box of components or anything that can be soldered to a PCB and blank PCB's. ... Only those opinions of the ones that received the box already and myself will be taken into consideration The rest will have to live with it.


I understand where you are coming from on this decision but feel the last line seems unfair to those of us still waiting for the box. If it's going to be the 'live with it' approach, then I guess that's what I'll get, but I think it makes more sense to at least take the current box through those that were already in the waiting list up to the point of this discussion, or at least get input from those that are remaining on the list currently (since it will be our problem to deal with until the split). Giving the vote only to those that have already had their chance at the box, then returning a portion of the box back to those individuals doesn't make the most sense to me.

I know you said my vote doesn't count, but I feel the current box should run through those remaining on the list, then split into two boxes with independent sign-up lists. Just my two cents.
User avatar
drjeseuss
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:07 am
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby systemstech » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:51 am

drjeseuss wrote:I understand where you are coming from on this decision but feel the last line seems unfair to those of us still waiting for the box. If it's going to be the 'live with it' approach, then I guess that's what I'll get, but I think it makes more sense to at least take the current box through those that were already in the waiting list up to the point of this discussion, or at least get input from those that are remaining on the list currently (since it will be our problem to deal with until the split). Giving the vote only to those that have already had their chance at the box, then returning a portion of the box back to those individuals doesn't make the most sense to me.

I know you said my vote doesn't count, but I feel the current box should run through those remaining on the list, then split into two boxes with independent sign-up lists. Just my two cents.


I know that I said that your vote doesn't count, but your two cent did. So then Please feel free to PM the rest of the individuals on the list and let them know to please give their opinions. Let us know if you can't contact someone so that we can remove them from the list. We still haven't heard from the senior members on the list. I guess that touch can split the box when it gets to him and send them in two different direction, one down the list and the other up the list or some other random method.

15. cstack89
16. drjeseuss
17. Sal_The_Tiller
18. binaryguy
19. SimplicityGuy
20. pib
21. voidxar
22. heathkid
23. touch
User avatar
systemstech
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:11 pm
Location: Homestead, FL. U.S.A.

Re: Big Box Of Parts U.S.A. Only

Postby Chankster » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:34 am

Personally, I vote no to splitting.
User avatar
Chankster
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion