IR Toy firmware v23 tests

USB infrared remote control receiver/transmitter. Get one for $20, including worldwide shipping.

Re: IR Toy firmware v23 tests

Postby fwb » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:01 am

JTR wrote:Forget that version. It has a number of coding errors. In fact there was one each in SUMP irS and irWidget. One each was enough to break it badly. These have been sorted out and there is new firmware that is been rather extensively tested. When that hits the shelves then do upgrade to that as it really sorts out a rather interesting timing problem that has slipped through unnoticed and there are rumors of a functional Easter egg that I cannot confirm or deny.

Can you clarify, are you saying to forget the v23 that is in the first post? Has the new firmware hit the shelves yet, or where is it?
fwb

Postby st2000 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:14 am

I have been trying to compile R1611.V22 using the new MPLABX SDK and have been seeing this error:
../usb_stack.h:19: error: can't open include file "picusb.h": No such file or directory
If I move to the source for V23 will it fix this problem?

edit: added later...

I should add that I am also using the new xc8 compiler from microchip.com.

-thanks
st2000

Postby chekellog1010 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:59 pm

ian wrote:Here is a test version of firmware v23. It includes an almost complete rewrite of all code by JTR. It uses an improved USB stack version, major improvements to sampling mode, SUMP logic analyzer mode, and more. Any test would be greatly appreciated! Especially if you test it and it works :)

There is one known error:
*In sample mode using the transmit command WITHOUT handshake will lose the first packet. I believe WinLIRC, REC&PLAY, and everybody else all use the handshake now though.

Updates todo:

Wake PC (some PCs...)http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3779#p41276

nice post very informative . :-)
chekellog1010

Postby chekellog1010 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:01 pm

chekellog1010 wrote:
ian wrote:Here is a test version of firmware v23. It includes an almost complete rewrite of all code by JTR. It uses an improved USB stack version, major improvements to sampling mode, SUMP logic analyzer mode, and more. Any test would be greatly appreciated! Especially if you test it and it works :)

There is one known error:
*In sample mode using the transmit command WITHOUT handshake will lose the first packet. I believe WinLIRC, REC&PLAY, and everybody else all use the handshake now though.

Updates todo:

Wake PC (some PCs...)http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3779#p41276

nice post very informative . :-)
chekellog1010

Postby domi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:24 pm

Widget mode in V22 and V23 are both erroneous.
Would a version based on the actual V23 once become the next version?
If so are theactual V23 sources available somewhere?

Is there a short description how to compile & link a firmware version?
Is the MinGW Shell appropriate?
domi

Postby Qwlciguk » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:00 am

domi wrote:Widget mode in V22 and V23 are both erroneous.
Would a version based on the actual V23 once become the next version?
If so are theactual V23 sources available somewhere?

Is there a short description how to compile & link a firmware version?
Is the MinGW Shell appropriate?

Based on the comments from Ian:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2554&start=30#p48349

It would seem that the JP1 folks (designers/maintainers of the original widget) don't really appreciate anyone messing with their stuff, open source notwithstanding. That doesn't really encourage the people here to pursue debugging the IR Widget mode. I modified their precious IR Scope software to automatically put the IR Toy into widget mode, but it was all for naught, as you also discovered, the IR Toy FW with widget mode, does not work correctly. Since the JP1 folks lost their one and only supplier of the original widget design, you'd think that they'd be receptive to finding an alternative source. To be exact, they didn't actually lose their supplier, he just had some political axe to grind and jacked up the price to nearly $40 for anyone residing in a state that voted to re-elect Obama president.
Qwlciguk

Postby Manitu » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:52 am

fwb wrote:
JTR wrote:Forget that version. It has a number of coding errors. In fact there was one each in SUMP irS and irWidget. One each was enough to break it badly. These have been sorted out and there is new firmware that is been rather extensively tested. When that hits the shelves then do upgrade to that as it really sorts out a rather interesting timing problem that has slipped through unnoticed and there are rumors of a functional Easter egg that I cannot confirm or deny.

Can you clarify, are you saying to forget the v23 that is in the first post? Has the new firmware hit the shelves yet, or where is it?

what is the current state of v23? is there an improved version available or still the one from first post with the 'forget that version' note?
Manitu

Postby etatus » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Does this firmware support commands via UART TX pin? I think it would be an interesting feature.
etatus

Postby Barf » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:51 pm

My test with IrScrutinizer (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6649) showed that the sending is buggy, in the sense on incompatible with the documentation. Sampling mode: After the start-transmit command, the toy is suppose to respond with 62, the number of bytes expected. (http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/USB ... pling_mode). It does not.
Barf

Previous

Return to USB Infrared Toy