Custom Weller WSM 1 style controller for RT series tips

Hardware incubation. See also our in development projects wiki.

Re: Custom Weller WSM 1 style controller for RT series tips

Postby sdixon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Further on the osPID library, this series of blog posts gives a good overview of how you code a PID library up.
sdixon

Postby HammerFET » Tue May 22, 2012 2:53 am

It's been a while but I've managed to run a couple boards with the design. They are eagle format so feel free to take a look. based around an ATMEGA168, there is a thermocouple amp, accelerometer, and a couple buttons and LEDs. Quite a small system so it can fit into the barrel of the pen. The MOSFET should be okay running 24V with a good few amps but I haven't tested it yet. I've got it all running except the micro. Can't seem to get it programmed using an arduino set up as a programmer. As a side note, the three pole connector at one end of the board is for a headphone jack, specifically this one LUMBERG - KLB 4: http://uk.farnell.com/lumberg/klb-4/soc ... dp/1200144 It's mounted by just sliding the terminals between the PCB and they line up perfect, just needs to be the right way around.

I haven't worked on it in a wile due to exams and such but might get back to it at some point. I've recently bought a "hakko-like" soldering station and hot air gun so got less motivation to finish this. If anyone is interested in finishing it, feel free, just remember that the amplifier only gives good readings where there is no power to the tip, i.e. between pwm bursts.

http://www.2shared.com/file/iMGlir1r/So ... onics.html
HammerFET

Postby basreflex » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:32 am

I took some signals off the handle when driven with the WD2M station.
I get tip errors when a large H field is present.
no idea where to post the tiff files...
basreflex

Postby arhi » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:28 am

you can convert tiff files to jpg and upload here, or you can zip them and upload zip here
arhi

Postby sparkybg » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:51 am

So, it is a series thermocouple? If so, it is just like the HAKKO T12/T15 tips. ;)

...but, there's a HAKKO T12 clone tips you can get for $4 per piece.
sparkybg

Postby Mockus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:09 am

Hello everybody!

Im a first year applied physics student and also work a part time job as an electronics engineer's assistant. At work I had the pleasure of using a JBC CD-B soldering station and instantly fell in love with it, but since their prices are so enormously high its going to be a while since I can afford one for myself. So I decided to try and build one from available parts. About a month ago I came across an RT8 tip from Weller which was quite nicely built and had all the properties I was looking for, so I decided to apply some physics and made some measurement using the equipment at work during lunch. This is what I came up with:

The tip was being heated with a hot air station in approximately 10K intervals with a K-type thermocouple pressed against the surface of the tip measuring the actuall surface temperature, allowing the measurements to stabilize before writing them down.
Voltage generated by the thermocouple inside the RT8 tip was read using a multimeter set on microvolts range.

Temperature measured with: PeakTech 2010 DMM
Voltage measured with: Agilent U1270
Ambient temperature at the start of measurements: 300K

Attached are two pictures showing the polynomial curves of various types of thermocouples and the data that i collected. In the first picture You can see how the dots follow the curve of the type-D thermocouple although the emf seems to be low. Now I went off the scientific road a bit and made an assumption that it is indeed a type-D and compensated for the cold junction (+0,273mV) and innitial microvolt meter offset (+0,045mV). I think that the deviations are within the margin of error and the RT8 tip indeed has a type-D thermocouple built into it.

I would like to ask the good members of this forum to take a look at my measurements and maybe dismiss or confirm what I have found?

Thanks!
Attachments
Data.rar
(598.11 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Mockus

Postby neslekkim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:35 pm

you should checkout this thread also:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5264
neslekkim

Postby Mockus » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:05 am

Yeah, I took a look at that thread, but Im probably going to stick too my own design. I plan to use an ATmega to control the voltage to the heater by PWM, and drive a small 64x128 LCD which is going to be used for various user settings like working temp, idle temp, etc. Im also going to amplify and convert the thermocouple reading (also measure the ambient temperature) right inside the handle of the soldering iron for the best possible accuracy. The data will be fed to the ATmega via TWI and all of the calculations will be based on the polynomial curves i've posted before.
Mockus

Previous

Return to Project development, ideas, and suggestions