EZ-USB-FX1 based PSOC 3/5 programmer

A place to document your own projects.

Re: EZ-USB-FX1 based PSOC 3/5 programmer

Postby Zeta » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:38 pm

nickjohnson wrote:In my case, the Loki has an onboard 3.3v regulator, and the latest revision of it connects the debug header's VTARG to the 5v rail - so the debugger needs to supply 5v, rather than 3.3. I did this because I think it should be more reliable: it doesn't result in reverse-biasing the 3.3v regulator, and it means any attached expansion boards that use 5v will see a correct voltage.

Pretty unique aproach. I'm wondering if it means it can no longer be properly programmed and debuged using a miniprog3, since PSOCprogrammer will sense no voltage and apply your chosen 5v or 3.3v to vtarg and SWD pins but your PSOC will have 5v (or 3.3v) minus regulator's dropout voltage.

nickjohnson wrote:If you're looking at doing a level shifter, selectable voltages for vtarg would probably be useful too.

I was going to require the board provides its own voltage and present it on Vtarg pin and use it on the second side of a dual voltage logic level translator. that way it's way more simple to handle.

nickjohnson wrote:How did you blow up your miniprog3?

84v AC rectified was accidentally connected to VCC rail while I was doing some experimentation on a litle board, fortunatelly it was not connected to a USB port at the time.
Zeta

Postby nickjohnson » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:51 am

Zeta wrote:
nickjohnson wrote:In my case, the Loki has an onboard 3.3v regulator, and the latest revision of it connects the debug header's VTARG to the 5v rail - so the debugger needs to supply 5v, rather than 3.3. I did this because I think it should be more reliable: it doesn't result in reverse-biasing the 3.3v regulator, and it means any attached expansion boards that use 5v will see a correct voltage.

Pretty unique aproach. I'm wondering if it means it can no longer be properly programmed and debuged using a miniprog3, since PSOCprogrammer will sense no voltage and apply your chosen 5v or 3.3v to vtarg and SWD pins but your PSOC will have 5v (or 3.3v) minus regulator's dropout voltage.

Damn, you're right. I'd thought for some reason that the miniprog3 didn't use vtarg for voltage level detection, since it supports device power, but of course in that case it just reads the ADC. I'll have to greenwire both boards back to using 3.3v for vtarg. This one 'innovation' is one I should have thought more carefully about!

nickjohnson wrote:If you're looking at doing a level shifter, selectable voltages for vtarg would probably be useful too.

I was going to require the board provides its own voltage and present it on Vtarg pin and use it on the second side of a dual voltage logic level translator. that way it's way more simple to handle.

Good idea.

nickjohnson wrote:How did you blow up your miniprog3?

84v AC rectified was accidentally connected to VCC rail while I was doing some experimentation on a litle board, fortunatelly it was not connected to a USB port at the time.

I'm relieved to hear it's not something I'm likely to do, then. ;)
nickjohnson

Postby raob » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:17 am

@Zeta, Hi I have build the EZ USB board and also installed the drivers. Every other thing is perfect but for some reason the PSoC Programmer(ver 3.12) does not show CY8C3xxx family in the Device Family list (in pic)
devicefamilylst.png

How do I add it?
Which version did you use?
raob

Postby Zeta » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:18 pm

yo should try updating you psoc programmer, I'm currently running 3.16 and the latest is 3.17.

BTW, I just realized that psoc programmer 3.16 includes a Hex 2 svf utility, I think this might make it posible to program a psoc using a buspirate or busblaster
Zeta

Postby raob » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:27 am

Thanks Zeta. This forum is the best for newbies. :-)
raob

Postby Maximiliano » Wed May 22, 2013 10:43 am

Hello, thank you very much for showing us how to make a PSoC5 programmer at a fraction the cost of Cypress' one.
I have followed all the steps and now I have a programmer's board that needs to be 'pre-programmed' with the programmer's firmware each time it is going to be requested by Programer 3.18. Please, can you explain a little furthet how to program the AT24C128 EEPROM that is mounted on the Chinese board refered in the ebay link? What is 'TFK' driver you are refering to?

Thank you. Great job!
Maximiliano

Postby Zeta » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi Maximiliano, sorry for the late reply.

Have you already figured out how to do it ?
You need Cypress Suite USB. I don't have it installed on this machine but Cyconsole has a menu item for that very same purpose. You just need to record the VID/PID. The VID/PID can be found in the inf file inside Programmer's "drivers" folder (use the IDs that say "unconfigured"). But remember that using Cypress' VID or PID with a board not sold by cypress is forbiden :P

Please tell me if you manage to do it or want me to do a more detailed explanation.
Zeta

Postby Markus Gritsch » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:42 am

* Do you know the difference between the 'ftk_5_simfw.hex' and the 'fx2lp_fw.hex' firmware? Can your board also be used as a programmer using the 'fx2lp_fw.hex' firmware?

* How did you know which pins of the EZ-USB chip are used as SWDIO, SWDCK, and /XRES pins?
Markus Gritsch

Postby Zeta » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Markus Gritsch wrote:* Do you know the difference between the 'ftk_5_simfw.hex' and the 'fx2lp_fw.hex' firmware? Can your board also be used as a programmer using the 'fx2lp_fw.hex' firmware?

I really don't know if there is any diference, some friends and I speculated with the posibility of the FX2lp_fw supporting more devices but could not prove anything.

I have successfully used both firmwares.

Markus Gritsch wrote:* How did you know which pins of the EZ-USB chip are used as SWDIO, SWDCK, and /XRES pins?

I examined the FTK and then -050 and -030 schematics.
Zeta

Postby Markus Gritsch » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:38 am

ok, thanks! I think I will try to program the PSoC 5 on the Pioneer Kit with this cheap programmer/debugger :)
Markus Gritsch

Postby hung » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:19 am

Hello, thank you very much for showing us how to make a PSoC5 programmer at a fraction the cost of Cypress' one.

I have downloaded the file---.sch,which has been available to public,but I am so sorry to be unable to unfold it.could you please paste your theoretical picture here in the form of photo?I just wonder to have it as the basis.I would appreciate it if you can do me a favor,thanks a million
hung

Postby Zeta » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:21 am

Hi hung,
the .sch is a Cadsoft Eagle schematic file. you can download Eagle from Cadsoftusa.com

here is it, remember you can remove R0, JP3, and SW1 that were used only for development

let me know if it works
Zeta

Postby Roberto48 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:14 am

Zeta wrote:You need Cypress Suite USB. I don't have it installed on this machine but Cyconsole has a menu item for that very same purpose. You just need to record the VID/PID. The VID/PID can be found in the inf file inside Programmer's "drivers" folder (use the IDs that say "unconfigured").

Hi Zeta,
Thanks for your explanation how to use the CY7C68013A mini board. It's working, but I also want to know how I can program the board using the onboard EPROM. Maybe you can explain in more detail..
Thanks in advance,
Rob
Roberto48

Postby Xykon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:32 pm

Use the following command to convert it: Hex2bix.exe -M 0x8000 -i -f 0xc2 ftk_X_simfw.hex

The resulting file can then be programmed into the FxUSB eeprom. It's been quite a while since I did that as I since got a 050LP dev board. If you need more help with that let me know and I can check that again.
Xykon

Postby dion » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:36 am

is this work for psoc 4?
dion

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs