IR TOY2 does IRscope2 (IR Widget)

USB infrared remote control receiver/transmitter. Get one for $20, including worldwide shipping.

Re: IR TOY2 does IRscope2 (IR Widget)

Postby Sleepwalker3 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:57 am

osbock wrote:Cool. Actually the times I was measuring was on my own device, and I hooked the scope up to one leg of the diode.
I wrote some code for the TV-B-Gone to trigger a nikon camera a while ago, and that worked fine (first time!)

I'd be interested in the code if you're happy to share it, I've been thinking about making an IR trigger for a Nikon F60.
Sleepwalker3

Postby StephenR0 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:16 am

StephenR0 wrote:I'm considering getting an IR Toy for use with IRscope2, but I don't see the USBIRToy_irW.hex file attached to the first post anymore. Is there some reason it's not available?

I'm feeling ignored. Any answer?
StephenR0

Postby Qwlciguk » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:55 am

Seeing as how the first post that had the IR Widget mode FW attached, was edited on Dec 22 2012, it is reasonable to conclude that the poster removed the attachement. Why this was done, I can only speculate that he doesn't want to support it. There was at least one person that did program the IRToy with this FW recently (Dec 9), so perhaps he would be willing to re-post the FW?
Qwlciguk

Postby StephenR0 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:18 am

Actually, I have the firmware. I was just wondering why it was withdrawn. Is this use of the IR Toy being discouraged?
StephenR0

Postby Sleepwalker3 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:20 pm

I'm not really sure what you two are seeing, but when I look at the first posts of this thread I see the link there for the scope website, I go there and the software is there. Maybe not the .hex here, but most certainly a link to the 'scope site that works, so either I've been celebrating NYE a bit too much, or you have!
This is the link I just copied from the first post

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11668
Sleepwalker3

Postby StephenR0 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm referring to the firmware for the IR Toy to make it work with the IRscope software. It used to be attached to the first post and now it isn't anymore. If the firmware for the IR Toy isn't going to be available, There's not much reason for us to try to build IRscope and modify it.
StephenR0

Postby Sleepwalker3 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:44 pm

Around here all the projects come under the 'Projects' section, so if you look up the top left of this page and click on that, then scroll down to the IRTOY (about 4th project down) http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/USB_Infrared_Toy and click on that, then you'll see all the project details, including an index. That page has the downloads section for that project that usually includes all the firmware for the IR toy, upgrade instructions, PCB files, Schematics, different versions, etc. Also has a link to the SVN, in case you want to tinker with the code yourself.

The same goes for all the other projects, though some projects that have been popular might have a number of different versions and subsections.
Sleepwalker3

Postby Sleepwalker3 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:05 pm

Sorry after reading the post I think I've misunderstood what you were wanting. I'd suggest contacting JTR and asking him
Sleepwalker3

Postby StephenR0 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Sounds like good advice. Thanks.
StephenR0

Postby Sleepwalker3 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Sorry for my initial misunderstanding. Ian might also be able to help if you don't get anywhere at first.
Sleepwalker3

Postby Qwlciguk » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:31 am

StephenR0 wrote:Actually, I have the firmware. I was just wondering why it was withdrawn. Is this use of the IR Toy being discouraged?

Can you post the FW somewhere so the rest of us can benefit?
Qwlciguk

Postby StephenR0 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:48 am

I don't see why not. We still don't have source code so we can't enhance the IR Toy firmware appropriately, but apparently the firmware worked. I did start to send JTR a message, but he doesn't have any contact information. In any case, here it is.
Attachments
USBIRToy_irW.zip
(15.38 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
StephenR0

Postby Qwlciguk » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:53 pm

StephenR0 wrote:I don't see why not. We still don't have source code so we can't enhance the IR Toy firmware appropriately, but apparently the firmware worked. I did start to send JTR a message, but he doesn't have any contact information. In any case, here it is.

Thanks very much. If we can't get the source code, I suppose we could re-port the FW from the widget. Hate to have to repeat the work though.
Qwlciguk

Postby ian » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:54 am

Also, I'm not clear that we've pursued the option of having the IRscope maintainer include the modifications to use the IR Toy yet. A way to tell the IR Toy to go into IRscope mode would have to be presented to him and that doesn't currently exist. How hard would it be to get to that point? Shouldn't we get that covered first?

I have had contact with them several times and it seemed they didn't really want us to infringe on their turf so I kinda left it alone. Because of command conflicts I believe it was not possible to just clone their interface, but it has been a while and I forget.

I do have JTRs irwidget source somewhere, I believe. Will try to dig it out.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby Qwlciguk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:04 am

ian wrote:
Also, I'm not clear that we've pursued the option of having the IRscope maintainer include the modifications to use the IR Toy yet. A way to tell the IR Toy to go into IRscope mode would have to be presented to him and that doesn't currently exist. How hard would it be to get to that point? Shouldn't we get that covered first?

I have had contact with them several times and it seemed they didn't really want us to infringe on their turf so I kinda left it alone. Because of command conflicts I believe it was not possible to just clone their interface, but it has been a while and I forget.

I do have JTRs irwidget source somewhere, I believe. Will try to dig it out.

It's clear that the JP1 folks idea of open source while it may conform to the letter of the law, it certainly can't be said that they cooperate with the spirit of open source. This wouldn't be the first time someone has been asked not to tread on their turf.
Qwlciguk

PreviousNext

Return to USB Infrared Toy