IR TOY2 does IRscope2 (IR Widget)

USB infrared remote control receiver/transmitter. Get one for $20, including worldwide shipping.

Re: IR TOY2 does IRscope2 (IR Widget)

Postby rct » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:18 pm

First, I'm curious as to whether you actually get different protocol decoding results using the IrWidget emulation firmware for the USB IR Toy.

I built an ATTiny based IR Widget clone using a circuit and firmware provided by the original author, http://www.compendiumarcana.com/irwidget/. (I didn't built the PIC version because I didn't have a programmer)

For some of remotes, I tried, I got similar results because the hand tuned protocol details that pick out the device and command numbers hadn't been added to IRdecode, the component used by IRScope to identify protocols.
rct

Postby coste » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:38 am

Hello
With USBIRToy_irW.hex (IRWidget emulation firmware) flashed in the IR Toy I could decode (with IRScope, via DecodeIR.dll) correctly the codes from 9 different remotes. My test is not very comprehensive, as all my remotes use only 3 protocols : NEC1, NEC2, and Sony15. But at least for those protocols, it works. The only problem I had was with a volume control (repeat code) which was decoded as two codes (NEC2 and unknown) if I pressed the button for a long time. It was enough to press for a short time to get a correct decoding (NEC1 protocol). So AFAIK, IRScope + IR Toy is a good solution for me. My only wish would be for a simpler way to switch back the Toy to its "standard" modes.
My previous post was about using the irbin2ict.pl.txt script to convert .bin files produced by the IR Toy (in IR Sampling mode) to .ict files used by IRScope. As I said, it didnt't work, but it's probably because of inaccuracies of the IR Sampling mode, rather than the script itself.
coste

Postby pio » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:14 pm

Tommy Tyler's Store For IR Widget
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9405

Order either type of interface or an IR Widget from addresses in the U.S. for just $25 each, or from addresses outside the U.S. for $30 each. Price includes shipping and handling.

pio

Postby StephenR0 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:43 pm

You're going to need to check his new sales restrictions. Tommy now charges an extra 50% for orders from states that voted for Obama. Personally, I'm somewhat disappointed about the politics no matter who I voted for.
StephenR0

Postby rct » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Interesting, given that he can't keep his politics out of his business, I'd have no problem letting people know the IRToy 2 is a much more capable device than the IR widget and clearly the better deal.

If I had a license for MS Visual C++, I'd modify IRScope to be IRToy 2 friendly (talk to it using serial data instead of trying to signal with RTS/DTR. I've looked through the code, as I recall adding support for a new device shouldn't be that hard, there are about three or four places where the device types are coded. The most complexity in it is from support for the microcontroller-less widget that shifts in samples at 115K baud and doesn't use the same sample buckets as the widgets with an actual controller.

Note: IRScope can't be compiled with the free MS express compiler as it relies on Microsoft libraries that are only available with the paid version of Visual C++. I think it's Microsoft Foundation Classes.

Note 2: It's been a year or two since I looked at any of this.

Happy New Year all.
rct

Postby coste » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:59 am

Hello
I am really happy to have ordered an IR Toy rather than an IR Widget. I live in a country (France) which recently elected a left-wing extremist (well, almost...). I would have been charged a maximum :)
Happy New Year to all.
coste

Postby StephenR0 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm considering getting an IR Toy for use with IRscope2, but I don't see the USBIRToy_irW.hex file attached to the first post anymore. Is there some reason it's not available?
StephenR0

Postby pio » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:16 pm

The IR Widget is not a substitute for the IR Toy, it just saves you the trouble of having to flash the IR Toy twice and use a jumper to do so.

But it could be the other way around if the IR Widget firmware is improved to allow the use of bootloader.exe, instead of forcing the user to use a jumper to flash the IR Toy.

Another option is to integrate the IR Widget functionality as another mode, although that could require modification of the IR Scope software.
pio

Postby rct » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:12 pm

pio wrote:The IR Widget is not a substitute for the IR Toy, it just saves you the trouble of having to flash the IR Toy twice and use a jumper to do so.

Considering a IR Widget from Tommy Tyler will cost $25 US (or $50 US if you live in a state Obama won), you could just get a 2nd USB IR Toy rather than buy an IR Widget. (If you live in one of the affected states, you could get two IR toys and still have some money left over vs. an IR Widget). Sure the IR Toy doesn't come with a nice case like the IR Widget does, but you won't have someone's politics forced on you.

pio wrote:Another option is to integrate the IR Widget functionality as another mode, although that could require modification of the IR Scope software.

I think this would be a good option if you can find an interested party who has an MS VC++ license and already has that development option set up.
rct

Postby StephenR0 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Well, let's not exaggerate. 50% more would be $37.50. :-)

I'm interested in the IR Toy option, though. And it would be nice if the IRscope mode were integrated into the firmware somehow.

Also, I'm not clear that we've pursued the option of having the IRscope maintainer include the modifications to use the IR Toy yet. A way to tell the IR Toy to go into IRscope mode would have to be presented to him and that doesn't currently exist. How hard would it be to get to that point? Shouldn't we get that covered first?
StephenR0

Postby Qwlciguk » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:57 am

rct wrote:Interesting, given that he can't keep his politics out of his business, I'd have no problem letting people know the IRToy 2 is a much more capable device than the IR widget and clearly the better deal.

If I had a license for MS Visual C++, I'd modify IRScope to be IRToy 2 friendly (talk to it using serial data instead of trying to signal with RTS/DTR. I've looked through the code, as I recall adding support for a new device shouldn't be that hard, there are about three or four places where the device types are coded. The most complexity in it is from support for the microcontroller-less widget that shifts in samples at 115K baud and doesn't use the same sample buckets as the widgets with an actual controller.

Note: IRScope can't be compiled with the free MS express compiler as it relies on Microsoft libraries that are only available with the paid version of Visual C++. I think it's Microsoft Foundation Classes.

Note 2: It's been a year or two since I looked at any of this.

Happy New Year all.

I took a shot at this and I was able to compile IRScope with the free Express version MS Visual C++ 2008 compiler. It did require installing the DDK (to get MFC) also and futzing with some paths etc. I found the info on how to do that on a website somewhere. I'll look for the link. That said, it was all for naught, as it compiled with some 47 warnings, mostly to do with signed/unsigned conversions etc, but if that's all that was wrong, I'd have been happy. The resulting executable though it ran, much of the user interface was missing. It was able to capture and display waveforms, just none of the menus, save for the help-about, were functional (greyed out) and many other things were also missing.

I did also try compiling with the full-blown "pro" version of the Visual C++ 2008 compiler to no avail. It did the same as the express version + DDK. Lastly, I also tried with the "pro" version of the Visual C++ 2010 compiler and still no go. For all of the blathering they do on the JP1 forum about their software being "open" to anyone to modify, you'd think it was actually possible.
Qwlciguk

Postby Qwlciguk » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:07 am

StephenR0 wrote:Well, let's not exaggerate. 50% more would be $37.50. :-)

I'm interested in the IR Toy option, though. And it would be nice if the IRscope mode were integrated into the firmware somehow.

Also, I'm not clear that we've pursued the option of having the IRscope maintainer include the modifications to use the IR Toy yet. A way to tell the IR Toy to go into IRscope mode would have to be presented to him and that doesn't currently exist. How hard would it be to get to that point? Shouldn't we get that covered first?

So from the IR Toy side of the fence, someone just needs to define a short key sequence that tells the IR Toy to switch to IRScope mode. Probably should take it out of IRScope mode when closing the comm port too. Once that is defined, preferably by someone familiar with the IR Toy's FW, then it could be presented to the current maintainer for inclusion in IRScope software, but I expect that someone would have to cough up an IR Toy for him to play with to motivate him to do this. Did I forget to mention that he's in the UK?
Qwlciguk

Postby AndThen » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Tryed to quote and it ate my post (I deserved it I knew better..)

IRScope is compiled with VC6, which is not available in an Express version. A web search for "VC6 Migration", might turn up something usefull. It used MFC version 6.0..

*Cool links to all the express versiosn would have been here*
AndThen

Postby Qwlciguk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:06 pm

AndThen wrote:Tryed to quote and it ate my post (I deserved it I knew better..)

IRScope is compiled with VC6, which is not available in an Express version. A web search for "VC6 Migration", might turn up something usefull. It used MFC version 6.0..

*Cool links to all the express versiosn would have been here*

Hmmmm....then the current maintainer of IRScope is deliberately misleading folks by stating:

"This is the C++ source code of IRScope.exe version 2.01a. It has been prepared using MS Visual Studio 2008."

See: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11397

On the other hand, perhaps you're mistaken.
Qwlciguk

Postby AndThen » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:55 pm

I maybe have an older version, as thats not the link I used. Or the files I looked at are just old and unused.

http://www.compendiumarcana.com/irwidget/
http://www.compendiumarcana.com/irwidget/irscope.zip
IRScope Version 1.51

I realize I'm no help, not even setup for windows compiling currently, sorry. carry on =)
AndThen

PreviousNext

Return to USB Infrared Toy