Re: Laser Cut Bus Pirate Case V3

Hacking multi-tool. Get one for $30, including worldwide shipping.

Laser Cut Bus Pirate Case V3

Postby ril3y » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:31 pm

So I made a new bus pirate v3 case.  If you are interested in ordering one please email me.  rileyporter (a) gmail dot com
http://blog.synthetos.com/buss-pirate-v3-enclosure-alpha/
Last edited by IPenguin on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ril3y

Re: Laser Cut Buss Pirate Case V3

Postby Scorpia » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:57 am

I must say i really like that idea for a case.

i would be interested to see of the screws could be turned upsidedown so they are used as feet and arnt in the way on the top.

also what sort of cost would the case go for?
Scorpia
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ian » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:41 am

Beautiful!
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby Low_Rider » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:04 am

Nice work Riley!

I drew up a similar clear case the other day that I was aiming to have made at Ponoko as a test for another project. I may have to rethink that by the looks of things!

I was thinking of using some thicker material for the centre section though, just so that the top plate totally covers the USB socket, and perhaps either bonding the case together or using some miniature fasteners, just to keep the external profile looking clean and straight.

(Yes I'm fussy!) ;)
Last edited by Low_Rider on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Low_Rider

Postby ril3y » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:56 am

Thanks for the praise guys,

Scorpia,  I am looking into selling the case's at Ian's store.  Will update you more later.  However let me tell you that this cause is obviously cool looking but much more than that is functional.  I really like how it turned out for "protection" its really hardy and its still easy to take apart.  So should you need to hack, remove, solder whatever a component you can unscrew it and do your whatever then screw it back.  As far as upside down goes.  The screws are self threaded on the plexiglass and pop out about 1/32".  This forms a nice "buffer" between the plexiglass surface and your surface.  (to minimize on scratches etc)

Low_Rider,  I too have debated on covering the USB as well.  However a few issues:
1.  If you cover the USB too you start to climb up the headers which may or may not work when you are actually trying to use the BP :). 

2.  I used 1/8 plexiglass in multiple layers,  However I am thinking for the top cover I may get some 1/16 or even 1/32 plexiglass to test out.  So its not ruled out yet.

I also want to stress that the cheat sheet commands was done as an afterthought and kind of ghetto.  What you do to create that is leave the protective paper on the plexiglass and then "etch it"  then you spray paint the piece and let it try.  Then you remove the paper and all you see is the black letters.  Why I am telling you this is it was late and I could not find my spray paint :) So I used a magic marker which provided less than desirable results.  Needless to say it would have looked much better if I had done it the "right" way.

ril3y
ril3y

Postby pppd » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:54 am

I really like the idea, but I would mod it to have a small compartment for lead balls as these kind of gadgets are too light, often lighter than the USB cable itself, and as  a result of that they move all around my desk.

I would love to have it fitted with rubber "legs" and some heavy metal plate ;)
pppd

Postby ian » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:01 am

I was thinking the same things about a weight. I hate it when the USB cable pulls my programmer and circuit off the table.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby IPenguin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:30 am

I think that's why he may have used the rather oversized, heavy screws ;)

I really like the design, almost perfect ... but true, adding a heavy metal plate (i.e. bottom) would make it the perfect housing for the Bus Pirate ...
IPenguin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ril3y » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:33 am

The weight in my opinion is fine.  However rubber feet would be a nice touch.  I will look into it.  Laser does not cut metal.  Metal cutting laser = $60k.  Mine was $13k.  :)

Ril3y
ril3y

Postby pppd » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:40 am

If there's enough space under the PCB I will fit the metal plate myself :) Any info about estimated cost?
pppd

Postby ril3y » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:00 am

There is NO space between PCB and plexiglass bottom.  So you would have to put it on the outside of the plexiglass.  Then it would just sit on the metal.  So space is not an issue.  Pricing.  Not yet.  I am getting my probe kit in a few days I think.  I want to touch up a few things to make it probe kit friendly then I will release it.  I will post any changes here and link it to my site when its for sale.

I am offering a few differnt color options too.  Like transparent red, transparent black, clear possibly others.

Ril3y
ril3y

Postby pppd » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:08 am

ril3y wrote:There is NO space between PCB and plexiglass bottom.  So you would have to put it on the outside of the plexiglass.
The extra space could be easily added by inserting an extra layer below the PCB with a rectangular hole ( slightly smaller than the PCB ).
pppd

Postby ril3y » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:20 am

I don't follow what you are saying.  You would also need different screws when you add a new layer.
ril3y

Postby pppd » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:14 pm

English is not my first language and maybe that's why I am hard to understand :) I agree that adding an extra layer would need different screws, but I guess it's not a problem nowadays.

Anyway, it is your project and I guess it should be done the way you think is right. Especially that you said weight is not a problem. Waiting for some updates.

Cheers,
Piotr
pppd

Postby ril3y » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:17 pm

Your english is fine.  Just concept wise I was not following your idea.  I don't want to come off sound like an stuck up American.  I have lived in other countries and respect your english skills.

I will post more when I get some stuff updated.

ril3y
ril3y

Next

Return to Bus Pirate Support