Really universal soldering controller

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby salavat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:08 am

minkok wrote:Do you use transformer or switching power supply?

Toroidal transformer about 150 watts

minkok wrote:You have that problem only on HT tip, all the rest are ok, are they?

Yes, this problem only with HT tip, other (both clone and original) are OK.

minkok wrote:How long is the cable of the stand and is it shielded?

About 1m long, not shielded

minkok wrote:Try to scope the output of the touch sensing circuit or at least check if display temperature is nervous in both cases with or without " holder off ", after sleep.

OK, thanks, I will try.
salavat

Postby Doomedahab » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:34 am

@ Salavat: What's your experience with the clone tips? The one clone tip I have (Knokoo from aliexpress) has terrible overshoot and far worse temp stability compared to the 5 genuine tips I have. Is that your experience as well? Sorry for the OT.
Doomedahab

Postby salavat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:36 am

Doomedahab wrote:@ Salavat: What's your experience with the clone tips? The one clone tip I have (Knokoo from aliexpress) has terrible overshoot and far worse temp stability compared to the 5 genuine tips I have. Is that your experience as well? Sorry for the OT.

I mainly based on eevblog user comments, who said that clone tips have equal performance to original ones, so I bought them in a group buy organised by vulcan (he is in this thread).That turned out to be true (so far I have 6 clone and 3 original tips), but he got tips from TaoBao, not from Ali, may be that could explain.

Clones have the same thermal performance (or at least I do not see any difference).

Also, I see often JBC tips offered at good price on Ebay.
salavat

Postby Doomedahab » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:37 pm

Maybe I just got a dud. It overshoots about 40 degrees C on start-up and regulates terribly. The originals I bought off of Amazon and eBay for an average price of 12 -14 euros or so, so yeah, i'm not taking chances with clones anymore.
Doomedahab

Postby minkok » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:22 pm

Doomedahab wrote:@ Salavat: What's your experience with the clone tips? The one clone tip I have (Knokoo from aliexpress) has terrible overshoot and far worse temp stability compared to the 5 genuine tips I have. Is that your experience as well? Sorry for the OT.

My experience is also positive regarding temp. control, I bought one only just to compare, but what I am not satisfied is the way it keeps the tin at the tip, may be outside etch is not so good as original. I bought it also from Knokoo, but there is old and new series, mine is from the second.
By the way all my cartridges are from EU and are not less than 35 euro.
minkok

Postby Wolfram » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:29 pm

The the bigotry is strong with this one (The Equalizor)
Attachments
bigotry.PNG
Wolfram

Postby salavat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:36 pm

Wolfram wrote:The the bigotry is strong with this one (The Equalizor)

That's funny. Guy made a few videos on Jabe station. Could be that he got it for free in exchange for review.
I think menu is available only in Chinese, unless you plan learning Chinese language, that is inconvenient at least.

Now what is real user is saying about it:
WHAT'S INSIDE: - linear transformer - output modulated by two FDB047N10 connected back-to-back (100V, 164A, 4.7mOhm ???) - controlled by STM32F103 (opposed to dsPIC in original), JTAG header is on top (unsoldered) - i2c eeprom for settings - sensor amplifiers are OP07C and LM358 - lcd cog display- everything is optically isolated
PROS: - heavy and comfy stand - linear power supply - works with original C245 tips - thin and flexible silicone cable
CONS:
- included tips are utter crap
- transformer smells bad
- linear transformer requires quality AC mains
-firmware is in Chinese only and is locked up (STM32 protection level 1, might be reversed but I did not bother)
- cooler fan is noisy, buzzer is annoying

I counted about 30 orders placed for it on Aliexpress, which I think is way too low. Probably they need more reviews to boost the sales)).

Anyone want to sell Unisolder and buy Jabe station? :)
salavat

Postby Wolfram » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:51 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VBF47cphQ
Good,very well,high quality,well build,absolutely amazing... and again to the infinite loop for the entire video.
Guess what ?
Wolfram

Postby minkok » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:26 am

There is other stations discussed here on tao bao and they are more close to JBC than Jabe, but no one can replace UniS by price to ability to use brand soldering irons, even JBC cannot offer such flexibility by obvious reason. You can use, in a short, JBC 245, 210 and micro tweezers which for me is out of the specs to any other for that price range. And of course, the quality of building depends only from you, you can do at your convenience, what you want.
minkok

Postby Wolfram » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:42 pm

minkok wrote:There is other stations discussed here on tao bao and they are more close to JBC than Jabe, but no one can replace UniS by price to ability to use brand soldering irons, even JBC cannot offer such flexibility by obvious reason. You can use, in a short, JBC 245, 210 and micro tweezers which for me is out of the specs to any other for that price range. And of course, the quality of building depends only from you, you can do at your convenience, what you want.

Unisolder 5.2 is the most amazing/high quality project in the world,which allows you to rule any termocoupled soldering iron !!!
So for this reason we need to move it forward,by moving the original post also on eevblog.
Dangerouseprototype is glitching sometimes,i was banned for 0 resons and now i'm again here,i don't know what is happening with this domain,but we need to do something by moving this thread to another place.
Wolfram

Postby miti » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi All,

Excellent project, I made the boards few years ago but didn't find the motivation to put them in a box. I did now and I think it came out pretty compact, it is basically a slanted cube. I use a DC power supply though, a laptop brick 19V, 3.4A modified to 24V and the ground connection removed and moved to the iron connector. The PS is not in the box yet, I'll have to find a bottom for it and eventually drill some vent holes if needed. Tested with the finger, nothing gets hot there. I'm pretty happy with the result.

Thanks Sparky!
Attachments
IMG_3754.JPG
IMG_3753.JPG
IMG_3752.JPG
miti

Postby pommen » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:22 am

Just finished my first board and playing around with it, seems like a nice station.
Still have some questions tough:
Whenever I make a change to the PID settings on the PC software it seems like settings is getting lost after each reset of the unisolder.
Is there something wrong with my EEPROM or is this standard behavior? If so, is there a way to change the PID without recompiling the firmware?

/Peter
pommen

Postby salavat » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:12 pm

OK, I am somewhat consider that I finished my build. HT tip seems to work out (almost) in going to standby mode.

Thank you very much Sparky! (I know you read this thread :) ).
I hope that you will have some time to develop firmware further and make JBC 105 tweezers available in a tool set.
salavat

Postby vulkan35 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:44 am

Last edited by vulkan35 on Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
vulkan35

Postby valerionew » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:06 am

MadBekon wrote:For those that are going to solder this project, basic helper, helping find elements on PCB.
BOM is related on elements I used, is not exactly the same as original BOM.
This is just to help locating components on the boards.

Hope this will be usefull...
PS. Please don't browse the code. I'm totally not a JS / HTML programmer.
Code is not optimal or well organized. But should work.

Also available here: http://serwer1392854.home.pl/unisolder/
unisolder_chips.zip

Hi guys, i've re-uploaded MadBekon's tool with his permission to this page: https://5n44p.github.io/unisolder-chips/
valerionew

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs