Really universal soldering controller

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby sparkybg » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:57 am

dumitruv wrote:Hi Sparky,

Not sure if anybody asked this question, I couldn't find any answer in the trail. I just received the parts and I did an oven trial with the OLED board but without soldering the display itself. I powered up the board and the OLEDVCC comes to about 12.3V
I look in the display module specification and absolute maximum for Vcc is 11V, DC Characteristics says VCC 9.5V max when supplied externally. Is there a reason why you went that high or just a design error?

Thanks

The display I am using wants 12V. If your display wants 9V, you will have to correct the booster feedback resistors.
sparkybg

Postby BadAd84 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Boards arrived.
I have 7 spare, £8 per board (it was the all in one gerber) + shipping. PM me if you want one of them.

Edit: Boards all gone
Last edited by BadAd84 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BadAd84

Postby neslekkim » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:02 pm

Per board?, did you order all of them?, two-three different ones?
neslekkim

Postby BadAd84 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:58 pm

I used the gerber that is all 3 boards in one.

I didnt use OSHPark (would cost more than price I am offering) but you can see a render here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/284 ... solder.png

So its £8 + shipping for what PCB's you need.

Specs of boards:

- Layer Size : 2 Layer PCB 10cm x 15cm Max
- E-Test: 100% E-Test
- Thickness: 1.6 MM
- Surface Finish: Immersion Gold (ENIG)
- PCB&SilkScreen Color: Blue PCB (White Silkscreen)
- Process Time: 5 Working Days
- Quantity: 10
- Copper Thickness: 1 oz
- PCB Copy: 1 Copy in 1 PCB

Please do not reply in this thread anymore. If you want one of my surplus boards, PM me.

Edit: All surplus boards gone.
Last edited by BadAd84 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BadAd84

Postby dumitruv » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Hi Sparky,

I fired up my boards successfully just to see something on the screen, no iron yet, I'm missing some components. I have few question though:

1. Only the "PIC32_Standalone" firmware works, "PIC32_with_bootloader" doesn't work. How do you use the one "with bootloader"?
2. How do you use the PC software to update the firmware? I suppose only the one "with bootloader" can be updated over USB.
3. If I want to connect two Hakko T15 what would be the parameters in "Iron.c" and the ID resistors? I understand they work at the same temperature and that's OK.

Thanks
dumitruv

Postby flork » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:51 pm

Hello, i just register to ask about this great project, i looking to buy my first soldering station, and this will be awesome, my skills arent that great yet, so it is possible to buy finished pcb? maybe someone with skills can prepare one for me? i from EU
flork

Postby sparkybg » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:18 am

dumitruv wrote:Hi Sparky,

I fired up my boards successfully just to see something on the screen, no iron yet, I'm missing some components. I have few question though:

1. Only the "PIC32_Standalone" firmware works, "PIC32_with_bootloader" doesn't work. How do you use the one "with bootloader"?
2. How do you use the PC software to update the firmware? I suppose only the one "with bootloader" can be updated over USB.
3. If I want to connect two Hakko T15 what would be the parameters in "Iron.c" and the ID resistors? I understand they work at the same temperature and that's OK.

Thanks

Both firmware is working. When using bootloader, you must upload the "PIC32_bootloader" only, and upload the "PIC32_with_bootloader" using the USB and the PC software.

...but, the PC sofware is far even from beta version and it uses fixed path for HEX and probably it won't work for you unless you edit the path in the source. I will have to fix this when I got the time, but lately I am pretty busy programming for a living so I cannot say when it will be ready.
sparkybg

Postby Sniffer » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:54 am

BadAd84 wrote:I used the gerber that is all 3 boards in one.

So its £8 + shipping for what PCB's you need.

Specs of boards:

- Layer Size : 2 Layer PCB 10cm x 15cm Max
- E-Test: 100% E-Test
- Thickness: 1.6 MM
- Surface Finish: Immersion Gold (ENIG)
- PCB&SilkScreen Color: Blue PCB (White Silkscreen)
- Process Time: 5 Working Days
- Quantity: 10
- Copper Thickness: 1 oz
- PCB Copy: 1 Copy in 1 PCB

Please do not reply in this thread anymore. If you want one of my surplus boards, PM me.

Thans for the details.
Sniffer

Postby dumitruv » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi Sparky,

I finally got all my parts and I tested the station using 24V DC from a bench power supply and a Hakko T15. I don't have a transformer big enough yet.
I set it to 350C but it overshot up to around 380C then went down to 330C. It keeps oscillating around 350C and finally it stabilizes at 350C +/-2 -3 C but if I touch a big piece of metal it starts oscillating all over again.
Is this normal? It doesn't seem to bounce that much in your videos. Is it because of DC?

Thanks!
dumitruv

Postby sparkybg » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:11 am

I don't know if it is because of DC. I will have to try.

Keep in mind that some chinese T15 tips are nasty, especially when powered for the first time. Set it to 400, and leave it for a minute or two, then set it at 350 and solder. Because you are using DC, don't connect earth yet, or if it is connected, there should not be any connetcion between negative supply and ground in the power supply - the only connection between them must be in the handpiece connector.
sparkybg

Postby Sjaak » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:06 am

sparkybg wrote:I don't know if it is because of DC. I will have to try.

Keep in mind that some chinese T15 tips are nasty, especially when powered for the first time. Set it to 400, and leave it for a minute or two, then set it at 350 and solder. Because you are using DC, don't connect earth yet, or if it is connected, there should not be any connetcion between negative supply and ground in the power supply - the only connection between them must be in the handpiece connector.

Also the chinese T12 have this problem. even the 'improved' versions :D
Sjaak
Fellow
Fellow

Postby sparkybg » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:49 am

Chinese T12 and chinese T15 are equal. Moveover - original T12 and T15 are equal.
sparkybg

Postby dumitruv » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:28 am

It is not chinese tip, it is genuine Hakko T15 that was used with Hakko station for some time.
I tried with and without ground (in the hand piece) and the bridge is not connected between negative and earth ground at the power supply side. I get the same result. I bet it is related to PID parameters.
I think T12 and T15 are identical is just they are sold in different areas (Europe vs Americas).
I will try to post a video in the weekend.
dumitruv

Postby sparkybg » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:37 am

dumitruv wrote:I bet it is related to PID parameters.

It is possible, but my first guess is that it has something to do with DC. I haven't tried my station on DC for a long time and it may have a bug on DC supply. The latest firmware changes were sensor reading optimizations on AC supply, but AC and DC sensor reading uses same code so maybe something is wrong with it. I will check it out.
sparkybg

Postby dumitruv » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:05 pm

dumitruv wrote:

It is not chinese tip, it is genuine Hakko T15 that was used with Hakko station for some time.
I tried with and without ground (in the hand piece) and the bridge is not connected between negative and earth ground at the power supply side. I get the same result. I bet it is related to PID parameters.
I think T12 and T15 are identical is just they are sold in different areas (Europe vs Americas).
I will try to post a video in the weekend.

Video uploaded here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5XqF5n ... e=youtu.be

First part is the calibration with a precise 10 Ohm resistor then I plug the iron and you can see the temperature stabilizing after quite awhile. Once it stabilizes I touch the wet sponge and it goes out of whack again.
dumitruv

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs