USB Prog

Reflow ovens, hot plates, pick and place machines, test rigs, solder stencils. Small scale manufacturing and prototyping tool discussion.

USB Prog

Postby MachineHum » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an opensource USB programmer/debugger that I can use with ARM Cortex M series processors (don't really care what silicon vendor right now) I stumbled upon:

http://www.embedded-projects.net/usbprog5/

Which looks pretty good, they got a big list of processors that they can target (and xMega+AVR is a bonus)

But it looks like much of the documentation is in German, does anyone have any experience with this guy? Or of know of a good toolchain setup for what I'm trying to do? I'll be developing in Linux using Make/bash/ARMgcc

https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded

I'm new to ARM, but have done lots with AVR and other 8-bit micros.
MachineHum

Re: USB Prog

Postby nemik » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:11 pm

I've been using STLink v2 USB adapters from Aliexpress (they go for about $2.50 USD each). I use them for ARM cores successfully with OpenOCD. Most Cortex-M only need Serial Wire Debug (SWD) with GND, power, SWD-clock, and SWD-IO, which works perfectly these this cheap USB STLink things.
nemik

Re: USB Prog

Postby GromBeestje » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:10 pm

The ST-Link V2 clones are cheap from china, and they work fine with OpenOCD. However they run ST firmware, which is not open source. (They work fine with OpenOCD, which is open source)

If it is important to you the programmer firmware is also open source, I suggest you look at Black Magic Probe. You can also flash the Black Magic Probe firmware into an ST-Link clone, or a Blue Bill (the popular stm32f103 board from eBay)

The Black Magic Probe firmware comes up as a serial port, to which you can connect with GDB. However, I haven't been able to configure Eclipse to work with this yet. So I keep with ST-Link with ST firmware for now. (It is also possible to load Segger firmware into an ST-Link)
GromBeestje

Return to Tools of the trade