DP10062 template - how to overlay two SVG files?

Standard PCB templates and project cases

DP10062 template - how to overlay two SVG files?

Postby indigoid » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:56 pm

So I wanted to submit a SOB 100x62 top panel for laser. Couldn't find an existing SVG or Sketchup file for it but did find the 100x80 version. After a lot of dicking about trying to get Inkscape to work on OSX I eventually gave up and mangled it manually with vi/awk.

But without Inkscape/Sketchup working I couldn't poke holes in it. So I started from scratch in QCad. I haven't found a way to overlay them yet and compare. I tried importing my DP10062 file and the unmodified DP10080 SVG file into QCad, but it failed. Any ideas?

Working in QCad was quite pleasant. Much nicer than Sketchup.

Would include links here but the forum won't allow offsite links in post #1, which seems a reasonable restriction, and it also won't let me attach SVG files to a post.

I will setup a Linux VM and try Inkscape there instead. Presumably it has some kind of layer/overlay thing.
indigoid

Re: DP10062 template - how to overlay two SVG files?

Postby matseng » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:30 am

I've got no idea of how to do it QCad, but maybe a simpler approach to the problem is possible. Just print them, in scale 1:1, on plain paper and then overlay the papers on top of each other and hold them up to a bright light and look. You really don't need micrometer-precision for the panel outlines or holes.
matseng

Postby indigoid » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:19 am

Yeah I thought of that - it'd be my preferred approach. Sadly I've no access to a printer right now :-(

edit: and it's trivial in qcad - it has layers, much like Gimp etc. I used them when making up my design for all the construction lines.
indigoid

Postby indigoid » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:21 am

Inkscape in Linux did the trick.

Evidently I got the bolt holes right, which was the bit I really cared about. They also match up to the 100x62 version I mangled with vi/awk. Despite having both Bus Pirate and ATX breakout on my bench I hadn't noticed that the SOB panels are actually slightly bigger than the PCB footprint. I'm in two minds about this.
indigoid

Postby Camron70 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:08 am

Would include links here but the forum won't allow offsite links in post #1, which seems a reasonable restriction, and it also won't let me attach SVG files to a post.
Camron70

Return to Sick of Beige