Yet another alternate design

Standard PCB templates and project cases

Yet another alternate design

Postby arakis » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:37 am

Here is a little design I made based on eariler designs, and arhi's commetns
bp3case.jpg

It features 2 sheets as now, with two additional ring sheets.. that serve as standoffs and side protection at the same time...
bp3case2.jpg

only bolts and nuts need to bee used, like this combo for example Image
with the holes on the bottom layer slightly larger to accommodate these kinds of nuts....also the design is much tighter..

I really like the black lower layers with he top transparent. the Black/RED(board) contrast looks cool, at least in SU it does...
this could possibly be cheaper to do then 8x bolts, 8x standoffs...

the standoffs ring are 2.55mm in high, most of our board components should fit, but for higher components, either cutouts on the top could be made, or another Ring could be added...
best regards FIlip.
arakis
Crew
Crew

Re: Yet another alternat design

Postby arhi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:51 am

arakis wrote:It features 2 sheests as now, with two additional ring sheets.. that serve as standoffs and side prodection at the same time...

And if you have tall components on board (for e.g. standing trough hole capacitor or a relay) you can stack few rings to make room for tall component and still have side wall protection.

arakis wrote:only bolts and nuts need to bee used

actually I have very good experience with M4 screws going directly into acrylic. You cut the 3,3-3.5mm hole on a laser cutter (or you drill it yourself, note if you are drilling acrylic make sure you know how, it breaks easily) and then you cut the thread with M4 thread cutter directly into acrylic, the M4 screws will fit perfectly, it will be fairly strong and it will be fairly durable (I have 10+ boxes made like this and I opened and closed them (unscrew/screw back) maybe 500 times, no problems with threads in acrylic).

If you have a CNC you can blind drill the holes 3.3mm only 2.2mm and leave last 0.35mm closed and then blind cut the thread but that is usually overkill :D. Also you can use simple holes and a blind nuts at the end to play feet :D, you should be able to find plastic M4 and M3 nuts easily so use them as feet
arhi

Postby arhi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:54 am

I just remembered, the acrylic "bed holder" for the arduino seeed is selling comes with plastic screws and plastic nuts .. so .. there's the perfect thing, don't use metal screws, use plastic ones, then bolt everything together and use exacto to cut off piece of the screw protruding from the nut. You have a perfect fit every time + you have plastic feet for your case
arhi

Postby arakis » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:01 am

bbv3case3.jpg

same style case for BusBlaster

*Arhi thanks on the m4 screw tip
best regards FIlip.
arakis
Crew
Crew

Postby arhi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:09 am

Look at the OBLS acrylic case on thingiverse, uses exactly the same method .. there's bunch of cases like that on thingiverse too ..

arhi

Re: Yet another alternate design

Postby matseng » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:14 pm

In order not to waste a lot of material it maybe could be possible to cut a few additional "rings" inside the the first ring for smaller boxes....
matseng

Postby arhi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:44 pm

acrylic is cheap enough to throw the inside of the ring, usually the major part of the cost is the length of the cut, not the material. but yes, you can optimize, smaller cutter are using A3 sheet so you can align number of parts and optimize for low waste
arhi

Postby matseng » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Yes, that is probably true using a commercial cutting service. If you do it yourself on your own (or a hackerspace) laser the cutting costs should only be like 10 cent per hour. A crappy tube lasts 3000 hours and costs about $300.
matseng

Postby arhi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:10 pm

matseng wrote:Yes, that is probably true using a commercial cutting service. If you do it yourself on your own (or a hackerspace) laser the cutting costs should only be like 10 cent per hour. A crappy tube lasts 3000 hours and costs about $300.

yes, if you do it like that it's a completely different calculation, but then you probably cut other stuff for yourself so you pack a whole bunch of stuff on a single sheet and you cut it..

With regards to "home made" stuff I'm getting a special fondness to a wooden boxes :D, I take a wooden block mill the insides so a board can fit and then top it off with a thin wooden plate. I use only one screw in the corner so that I can easily slide the box open to access the electronics .. Holes on the side for connectors etc I do not mill on cnc but carve by hand using knife and chisel (I do not use that super hard wood but on contrary light white wood) ... you get some nice looking boxes that way :D just, it takes too much time and sometimes you just want box so you don't get garbage from the workspace short something inside.. bunch of my boards are just wrapped in cardboard (small ones I wrap in my old business cards, I have more then 5000 business cards left over from my previous companies so that's a good way to recycle them :D )
arhi

Postby voidptr » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:03 am

here another thought :-)
can be nice to produce this in a more cheap plastic also .
acrylic look good but it is not so easy to cut fastly hole, sqaure or forms in them to adjust top to our design.
so maybe having a more cheap workable plastic can help prototyping a custom top easily.
:-)
voidptr

Postby arakis » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:22 am

voidptr wrote:here another thought :-)
can be nice to produce this in a more cheap plastic also .
acrylic look good but it is not so easy to cut fastly hole, sqaure or forms in them to adjust top to our design.
so maybe having a more cheap workable plastic can help prototyping a custom top easily.
:-)

Designed for Laser Cutting, and unfortunately only 2.55mm acrylic is on offer from Seeed. But the concept was that anyone can use our files, and get thier cases laser cut from any material they want...

expect a laser cutting tutorial during this week, how to easily edit our templates to add holes etc...

for the basic design 2 sheets..we use 2 minimum orders from seeed (that's 15dol for 5 cases), for the case above, you'll need 4 orders which comes out to 30dol per 5 cases...but, you can get the cae cheaper from us and only edit the top deesign...

I have a cheap local laser service charging like 0.5e per minute of laser operation, and these cases are cut in way under 10m....so for 5e I can get any custom design in any material....It is hard to find Seeeds mistery 2.55mm acrylic sheets here though...Everyone I've spoken to say the standard is 2.5 and have never heard of 2.55

Also if you decide on making desing, plz share, who knows if we like it we might make a batch...:D
best regards FIlip.
arakis
Crew
Crew

Postby arhi » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:25 am

It really depends on what you use and have available. You can cut PP or HDPE on laser as easily as acrylic but PP/HDPE sheets are not as common as acrylic sheets in laser cutting companies. Also PP/HDPE are not as rigid as acrylic.... not that for this type of cases it makes big difference :D... You can easily laser cut this type of case out of 2 or 5mm mdf or out of pp or hdpe or.. whatever you can cut on laser (even aluminium or steel)... and then cut the opening with standard tools... opening square holes is always a problem for hobbyists :( .. can't help ya there ..

Anyhow what you can do is do not laser cut the top plate at all, get everything else cut out of acrylic (or whatever) and then make the top cover out of 0.5mm PP you can cut with scissors and exacto knife out of ice cream box cover or something like that :D
arhi

Postby voidptr » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:57 am

arhi wrote: ZAP
Anyhow what you can do is do not laser cut the top plate at all, get everything else cut out of acrylic (or whatever) and then make the top cover out of 0.5mm PP you can cut with scissors and exacto knife out of ice cream box cover or something like that :D

That was what I had in mind, same king of plastic( i also use ice cream box :-) ,maybe someone can find a place who can punch out(with a cheap press probably) the same templates from that kind of workable plastic for a few pennies :o)

On the other side , eating ice cream is a good thing when prototyping :oP
voidptr

Postby arhi » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:50 am

voidptr wrote:On the other side , eating ice cream is a good thing when prototyping :oP

+++++++++
arhi

Return to Sick of Beige