Alternate SOB size case design

Standard PCB templates and project cases

Alternate SOB size case design

Postby dsm » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:08 am

SB-GR50x31-case images

dsm wrote:I've thought about how to combine SLS nylon and transparent acrylic (probably just the top or just the top/bottom only) in one design. Assuming that all connectors are accessed through the top (except for the USB connector), the case could be customized by laser cutting an inexpensive piece of 1.5 mm acrylic. The push-button head and plunger assembly could be an SLS nylon part secured with cyanoacrylate glue.

Attached are some images of the draft SB-GR50x31-case design to illustrate this approach. Note that in this example the case is intended for the smaller 50 mm x 31 mm board and not the 60 mm x 37 mm Bus Pirate board. Generating variants of this design for all of the proposed Dangerous Prototypes board sizes would be fairly simple. The cost of the 1.5 mm acrylic top window is probably less than the cost of the four light-pipes that I've been using. Also, this approach uses less of the relatively expensive SLS nylon material.

SR-case-GR50x31-assembly-dsm-v1-top-view-perspective.jpg
SB-case-GR50x31-dsm-v1 ~ assembled ~ top view

SR-case-GR50x31-assembly-dsm-v1-bottom-view-perspective.jpg
SB-case-GR50x31-dsm-v1 ~ assembled ~ bottom view

SR-case-GR50x31-exploded-dsm-v1-top-view-perspective.jpg
SB-case-GR50x31-dsm-v1 ~ exploded ~ top view

SR-case-GR50x31-exploded-dsm-v1-bottom-view-perspective.jpg
SB-case-GR50x31-dsm-v1 ~ exploded ~ bottom view

Thanks for your time.

dsm
Last edited by dsm on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:39 am, edited 7 times in total.
dsm

Re: Standard, beautiful PCB cases

Postby ian » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:53 am

Very interesting. It can be customized easily for top IO, retains visibility for cool factor and LEDs/labels. The expensive molded/sla part is standard, and the cheap part is customized. Great idea.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby dsm » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:22 am

frame-extrusion-case-dsm-v1

dsm wrote:If the thickness of the acrylic and the length of the spacers were to match ordinary picture frame profiles, you could have an elegant case with sides (in almost any size).

If you want to use thinner 1.5 mm acrylic, you could make your own frame extrusions that capture the top acrylic window, printed circuit board (shown here with a USB connector), and bottom acrylic window in grooves in the extrusions.

frame-extrusion-case-dsm-v1-assembled-top-view-perspective.jpg
frame-extrusion-case-dsm-v1 ~ assembled top view perspective

frame-extrusion-case-dsm-v1-assembled-bottom-view-perspective.jpg
frame-extrusion-case-dsm-v1 ~ assembled bottom view perspective

The basic extrusion profile for this case is fairly simple (fillets not shown for clarity).

frame-extrusion-profile-dsm-v1.jpg
frame-extrusion-profile-dsm-v1

Assembly...
  • Glue the two side extrusions, the end extrusion, the top acrylic window, and the bottom acrylic window together with cyanoacrylate glue or epoxy. The printed circuit board and the usb end extrusion are attached to the above assembly. The entire case could then be held together with two pieces of tape [1].
  • Alternatively some snap fingers and indents could be built into the extrusions and whole assembly just snapped together.
  • Alternatively some sort of fastener scheme could be designed into the extrusions.
Thanks for your time.

dsm

[1] Perhaps black-Dangerous Prototypes-logo-on-yellow stickers or electrical tape.
dsm

Postby dsm » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:38 am

updated SB-GR50x31-case images

Attached are some updated images of the SB-GR50x31-case design initially mentioned in my 10Jan12 forum posting. This version uses an acrylic window on both the top and the bottom of the case. Note that in this example the case is intended for the smaller 50 mm x 31 mm board and not the 60 mm x 37 mm Bus Pirate board. Generating variants of this design for all of the proposed Dangerous Prototypes board sizes should be fairly simple. The acrylic windows are the same size as the main printed circuit board to simplify determining the position of openings. The acrylic windows could be attached to the case parts using cyanoacrylate or epoxy glue. Note that because of the position of the board, adding side-facing connector openings only requires changing the top case. Neodymium magnets are used to hold the top case and bottom case together. The case is somewhat thicker overall because of the two 1.5 mm thick acrylic windows.

SB-case-GR50x31-assembled-dsm-v2-top-view-perspective.jpg
SB-case-GR50x31-dsm-v2 ~ assembled ~ top view ~ perspective

SB-case-GR50x31-assembled-dsm-v2-bottom-view-perspective.jpg
SB-case-GR50x31-dsm-v2 ~ assembled ~ bottom view ~ perspective

SB-case-GR50x31-exploded-dsm-v2-top-view-perspective.jpg
SB-case-GR50x31-dsm-v2 ~ exploded ~ top view ~ perspective

SB-case-GR50x31-exploded-dsm-v2-bottom-view-perspective.jpg
SB-case-GR50x31-dsm-v2 ~ exploded ~ bottom view ~ perspective

Thanks for your time.

dsm
Last edited by dsm on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
dsm

Postby ian » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:24 am

Note that because of the position of the board, adding side-facing connector openings only requires changing the top case.

This is great, half the price to get started with a new connector location.

Neodymium magnets are used to hold the top case and bottom case together.

Will that work even with the PCB material between them? In the milled case the magnets are at the edges and do not fasten through the PCB material.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby ian » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:07 am

I got an email from protomold about a 'design cube', basically a demo like you get for PCB services. I requested one of course :)

http://nlcrm.protolabs.com/r/?id=h9b81d ... 2f,4ae5831
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby dsm » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:46 pm

comments

ian wrote:Will that work even with the PCB material between them?

I really don't know since I'm not proposing to sandwich the PCB between the magnets.

In my design, the 3.0 mm diameter magnets are located at the center of the 3.2 non-PTH mounting hole.
The bottom magnet sticks protrudes up 0.8 mm and the top magnet protrudes down 0.8 mm.
Since the board thickness is nominally 1.7 mm, the magnets shouldn't actually touch.
The space for the magnets in the bottom case is set to 2.2 mm.
The space for the magnets in the top case have a little additional expansion space.
Use a precision disposable spacer (a couple pieces of ordinary copy paper) during fabrication
to set the spacing between the lower and upper magnets.

SB-case-GR50x31-assembled-dsm-v2-cut-away.jpg
SB-case-GR50x31-dsm-v2 ~ assembled ~ cut away

ian wrote:I got an email from protomold about a 'design cube', basically a demo like you get for PCB services.

I have one of the Proto Labs "design cube" examples and also one of the Proto Labs "protogami" examples (link).
I notice that the Proto Labs folks will be at the SPIE Photonics West 2012 (link) show later this month.
Maybe I'll go chat with them.

Thanks for your time.

dsm
Last edited by dsm on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
dsm

Postby ian » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Neat, thanks for the clarification.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby dsm » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:39 pm

SB-case family images

dsm wrote:Generating variants of this design for all of the proposed Dangerous Prototypes board sizes should be fairly simple.

The following cases are in the attached images:
front row
    GR50x31
    GR60x37
    GR70x43
    GR80x49
    GR90x56
    GR100x62
back row
    CC
    BC
    RT100x50
    SQ50x50
    SQ100x100
SB-family-assembled-dsm-v2-top-view-perspective.jpg
SB-family-dsm2-v2 ~ assembled ~ top view ~ perspective

SB-family-assembled-dsm-v2-bottom-view-perspective.jpg
SB-family-dsm2-v2 ~ assembled ~ bottom view ~ perspective

SB-family-exploded-dsm-v2-top-view-perspective.jpg
SB-family-dsm2-v2 ~ exploded ~ top view ~ perspective

SB-family-exploded-dsm-v2-bottom-view-perspective.jpg
SB-family-dsm2-v2 ~ exploded ~ bottom view ~ perspective

Thanks for your time.

dsm
dsm

Re: Alternate SOB size case design

Postby dsm » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:42 am

Proto Labs

I visited with some Proto Labs technical folks at the SPIE Photonics West 2012 (link) show yesterday.

One of their injection molding people made a few interesting comments...
  • Proto Labs can make perfectly clear acrylic injection molded parts (acrylic polymers are fairly inexpensive),
    but the mold has to have a mirror finish (which tends to drive up costs).
  • Enclosures using the above approach could be customized using a laser cutter.
  • For enclosures of a size that would fit the new Dangerous Prototypes boards,
    the recommended draft angle would be 1 degree for smooth parts and 3 degrees for textured parts.
  • Each enclosure would probably need its own mold.
  • For their Cool Idea! Award program, Proto Labs seems to be looking for designs [1] that are
    relatively high profile and accomplish some social good.
Thanks for your time.

dsm

[1] By the way, the technical person I spoke to was completely unconnected to the Cool Idea! Award selection committee.
Last edited by dsm on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsm

Postby ian » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:27 am

Very interesting, and what a coincidence!
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby dsm » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Proto Labs

What coincidence?
Did you finally hear back from Proto Labs about your Cool Idea! Award application for fcobcn's milled case design?

Thanks for your time.

dsm
dsm

Postby ian » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:33 am

What coincidence?

Just that they were actually there and you saw them. I suppose it isn't that much of a coincidence, though I would have been very surprised to run into them.

No word back, though I sent the last one in Dec I think before the end of year, not sure if they started a new round this year. the old application was only for 2011.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby dsm » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:16 pm

maybe not so coincidental

The SPIE Photonics West 2012 show was surprisingly large.
They occupied both the Moscone North and the Moscone South Halls. MacWorld was relegated to the Moscone West Hall.
In other words, SPIE Photonics West 2012 exhibit area was three or four times as large as the exhibit area for MacWorld.
Proto Labs even gave out cheesy backpacks to attendees.

Proto-Labs-backpack.jpg
Proto-Labs-backpack.jpg (37.84 KiB) Viewed 5967 times

Seriously though, if you make another Cool Idea! Award application,
try to find some social good for this effort to emphasize.

Thanks for your time.

dsm
dsm

Postby dsm » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Bus Pirate v3.5e layout Issues
Bus Pirate v4c layout Issues

ian,

The USBIRtoy v3 (neé v2.5) board layout process updated some specifications for the new Dangerous Prototypes board templates that affect the previous Bus Pirate v3.5e and Bus Pirate v4c board layouts.

For example, several components in these layouts now violate the 2.0 mm wide board edge component keepout.
  • LEDS (4x) ~ 1.2 mm wide 0805 LEDs (aka 2012) should be 3.0 mm from the board edge (currently 2.0 mm).
    2.0 mm + 0.6 mm == 2.6 mm => 3.0 mm.
  • push-buttons (2x) ~ 5.2 mm wide push-buttons should be 5.0 mm [1] from the board edge (currently 3.5 mm).
    2.0 mm + 2.6 mm == 4.6 mm => 5.0 mm.
  • ExtPwr (1x) ~ 2.54 mm wide male header should be 3.5 mm from the board edge (currently 2.0 mm).
    2.0 mm + 1.27 mm == 3.27 mm => 3.5 mm.
I was working on an updated DP6037 case design and noticed the discrepancy.

See the 1.7 mm board edge component keepout update to this comment on the next page.

Thanks for your time.

dsm

[1] Although 4.5 mm would probably also work in a pinch
Last edited by dsm on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsm

Next

Return to Sick of Beige