serial port questions

USB and serial backpack PIC_LCD_backpack for HD44780 character LCD screens.

serial port questions

Postby llamatrails » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:09 pm

Just got a couple of these USB and serial enabled LCD backpacks from Seeed, and am having issues with the serial port.
I do have it working with the USB port, so I know the backpack and lcd screen work together.
BTW, there isn't any splash screen when it powers up, so I don't know what the firmware version is. The label on the Seeed antistatic bag has a date code of 01/17/15 on it.

I've searched the web pages on this site and the products pages, but haven't been able to find the following:
What is the default baud for the serial port?
What baud rates are supported?
How do I change the baud, if the default isn't what I need?

My goal is to hange a bluetooth module onto the serial port for a bluetooth display module.

TIA,
Rick
llamatrails

Re: serial port questions

Postby llamatrails » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:31 pm

Update:
Doesn't look good. Tried all day to update the firmware with the beta - HD44780LCDv1-firmware-v1.1-beta1.zip

The fw_update.exe won't run in Windows 10, probably because of the HID driver not migrating up to Win10. The board does work fine in USB mode with LCD Smartie.

Then, tried to update the firmware on my Linux Ubuntu 16.04.1 box. Took quite a while to get the fw_update program to build, had to modify a lot of files to compile it. Still no go, it fails trying to erase the firmware. Again, USB does work in Linux.

As I need the serial port to work, I am giving up on this board. Marketed as a serial board, but it clearly isn't, at least not any more. Maybe if I had access to a WinXP system, I could get it working, but not in 2016.

If anyone has a clue, I'm all ears.

Rick
llamatrails

Re: serial port questions

Postby llamatrails » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Sheesh, this is turning into a blog.

I just couldn't let it go. Got out my Arduino and tried to flash it that way. More frustration, didn't work in Windoze or Linux. Keep saying the chip type was wrong. Tried a few different python scripts and Arduino sketches, both boards that I have did the same thing.

Slept on it another night, and thought about one more way. I've an old virtualbox WinXP setup on both the Win10 and Linux computers. Hmm, the Win10 host won't work since the HID driver says it isn't migrated so the WinXP client won't be able to see it either. What about the Linux host, it never complained? Sure enough, that worked! Ubuntu 16.04.1 host running a virtualbox WinXP client and fw_update zapped the new firmware right on out there.

End result? I now have 2 boards that will connect on either USB or serial.

Should anyone need the serial connectivity, one way to get it working is now documented. Good luck !

Rick
llamatrails

Return to USB serial LCD backpack