Logic Pirate not recognised windows 7- inf file install prob

The Logic Pirate is a medium speed, low-cost logic analyzer with a USB interface. It can capture up to 256K samples at 20MHz (80MHz with overclock), and is compatible with SUMP logic analyzer client. Get one for $30 at Seeed Studio. Logic Shrimp support available here.

Logic Pirate not recognised windows 7- inf file install prob

Postby OpticalBod » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:19 am

Hi All

I am new to this so apologies if this is a very stupid question.

I have just received a logic pirate and downloaded the OLS analyzer, but my Windows 7-64 machine doesn't recognise the board when it is plugged in. The board has the slow blinking led so appears to be functioning. In windows device manager, the board is seen as 'CDC-RS232 emulation demo' (no idea what that means) and in properties suggests a missing driver.

I read that:
You don't need a driver, but you will need a .inf file to tell Windows how to use the device. A suitable .inf file is included in the download below. Right-click on it and select Install from the context menu.

I found an .inf file (labelled mchpcdc) within the INF folder in the Logic Pirate users package, but am unable to open it by right clicking and selecting 'install'. I get an error message saying the INF FILE YOU HAVE SELECTED DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS METHOD OF INSTALLATION.

I have looked online for an alternative solution, but can't find one.

I'd be grateful for a pointer in the right direction.

Thanks, Patrick
OpticalBod

Re: Logic Pirate not recognised windows 7- inf file install

Postby OpticalBod » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:45 pm

Sorry replying to my own post; Installed inf file through trial and error. I am sure no-one else is as new to this as I am, but just in case. This is how I installed the inf file in Windows 7

start menu - control panel - device and printers
select device - right click to open properties - hardware tab - properties - search for driver - choose driver from downloaded inf file

Logic pirate now appears to work perfectly, thanks

Patrick
OpticalBod

Return to Logic Pirate