Bug detected in logic shrimp v2b hardware

The Logic Pirate is a medium speed, low-cost logic analyzer with a USB interface. It can capture up to 256K samples at 20MHz (80MHz with overclock), and is compatible with SUMP logic analyzer client. Get one for $30 at Seeed Studio. Logic Shrimp support available here.

Bug detected in logic shrimp v2b hardware

Postby mikelelere » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:31 pm

I recently received and assembled a logic shrimp v2b free PCB. As there was not any readily available firmware for it, I decided to write my own based on the existing code from the previous board revision and the DP open source USB stack. I already have working code to read/write from/to the SRAM in any serial mode (SPI, SDI or SQI), for the PWM-based clock generation ranging from 3000Hz to 12MHz, and the timers. However, when writing the code for the interrupt on change-based trigger, I've realized that two of the bidirectional SIO_X lines (those corresponding to channels 3 and 4) have been linked to non-PPS pins, and thus, it is not possible to use the interrupt on change functionality on them! This revision of the logic analyzer is then limited to edge-triggering on channels 1 and 2 only.

This bug can be easily solved by re-routing the SRAM SIO pins to the RB0-RB3 pins which are indeed remappable pins instead of to the pins they are currently connected to (i.e. RA0-RA3). I believe that this can be easily fixed in a new board revision. I would also recommend adding a tristate buffer between the ext_clock header and the SCLK line to facilitate switching between the OSC_CLK and the clock signal fed through the EXT_CLK header. The output enable pin for this buffer could be connected to any unused pin (e.g. RA0, RA1, RA2, RA3, etc.). This latter mod is not really necessary, but I think it would contribute to a more robust hardware.
mikelelere

Re: Bug detected in logic shrimp v2b hardware

Postby ian » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:06 am

Hi mikelelere,

Thanks for the detailed debug! I think originally we were using B0-3 in the v1, we're working on an update now. We'll add a footprint for the external tristate buffer too. Be sure and hit me up for the updated board if you notice it on the blog.
ian
Crew
Crew

Re: Bug detected in logic shrimp v2b hardware

Postby tanvirbajwa1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:51 am

it is not possible to use the interrupt on change functionality on them! This revision of the logic analyzer is then limited to edge-triggering on channels 1 and 2 only.
tanvirbajwa1

Return to Logic Pirate