Android client

Support and development for logic analyzer client software used with the Logic Sniffer.

Re: Android client

Postby sdixon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:23 pm

Tarloth wrote:For example this small board reprogrammed works great in all cases, but without re flashing, it´s trial and error. In contrast, usb bridges works great most of the time.

Sorry to slightly hijack this thread, but since I've just bought a couple of bluetooth boards like those, I'd be curious to know what firmware is the most reliable for them. Can you point me to a web page with good information about reflashing them?
Thanks.
sdixon

Postby Tarloth » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Sorry, I didn´t know one. One friend of mine program from scratch a couple models of that boards and work OK without problems (with the original soft the same board fail a lot) but do this job for your work and it´s confidential. Maybe I can ask him if he can donate the sources but he """hates""" the open something and I see hard to convince. For sure he can oriented us, but, I ask him in the next days and use OLS as temptation. Sorry for not can help better.

In case of he can/like help, have you a dongle to copy the ucontroller code part?
Tarloth

Postby sdixon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:07 pm

Tarloth wrote:Sorry, I didn´t know one. One friend of mine program from scratch a couple models of that boards and work OK without problems (with the original soft the same board fail a lot) but do this job for your work and it´s confidential. Maybe I can ask him if he can donate the sources but he """hates""" the open something and I see hard to convince. For sure he can oriented us, but, I ask him in the next days and use OLS as temptation. Sorry for not can help better.

In case of he can/like help, have you a dongle to copy the ucontroller code part?

Thanks for the information. If you find out anything more it would be great. As far as a dongle, I'm not sure. I've got a fair number of programming dongles but it depends on what these boards need. Since I haven't looked into what it takes to reflash the firmware I really don't know.
sdixon

Postby Tarloth » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:42 pm

But, with micro controller the dongle has made? With more information my friend maybe help you.
Tarloth

Postby Tarloth » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:24 am

For example. I search my desk and found 4 or 5 BT USB dongles that cost $1 (yes ONE dollar) and has only one integrated chip NOT FLASHABLE Conwise CW6626. I not find any data sheet and Conwise did´n answer my mails, but in his page has a small data to a (previous?) cousin http://www.conwise.com.tw/spec/CW6621web.pdf .In his datasheet claims

" Bulit- in primary profiles including Generic Access Profile(GAP), Service Discovery Profile(SDP), Serial Port Profile, and Headset Profile"

But take it easy, the SPP works only when all the planets align with the sun! In other hand SDO and headset profile works like a charm!.In the data sheet says that can be used via USB, SPI or UART but I have not pinout. In a russian or german site says that all of the BT chips from Conwise are OTP and the are not flashable. I don´t know. With the foxconn drive works most the time good even the spp, but sometimes, without a know reason, simply stop to work. In linux works but not SPP. My friend can do nothing with this dongles, use better ones with one chip for radio and one micro controller for manage the radios and has the information for the chip.

Both dongles claims the same, but they are very different, but, in the "cheap grade" of BT dongles I only see two models. Like mines and like my friend uses, with different micro controllers but same radio.
Tarloth

Postby alexwhittemore » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:59 pm

My point isn't to say that a standalone logic analyzer (or MSO like we're talking about), and especially a pocket-sized portable one, is useless. My point is just that the goals of a LA are much more in line with a pc-teathered unit, so for the ease of design it affords, the USB-based LA is probably the best compromise.
alexwhittemore

Postby Tarloth » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Yes, I agree that the meaning of ols it´s not to convert in a device with screen and complete logic and storage, BUT, if we can transform the client in something that would be use in portable OS like android or IOS, somebody (like me) can use a cheap tablet (60 dollars in ebay) and do the tasks without the extra load of a complete laptop. I think that was the meaning of writing the client in something """"portable"""" like Java, but portable it´s not as universal than the software vendors claims. I believe that this feature it´s even less pretentious that thinking an expansion wing that adds an oscilloscope and adds it to the client and really not understand why some users could be oppose to the extension of client to other plataforms.

For me that would be a big improvement because the people that prefer a desk station use it, if prefer laptop uses it and off course if prefer something more portable use it too. All scenarios are cover and the OLS not change essentially. Even the same person can use OLS in different scenarios. In my home I use a laptop in my electronic desk and has not problem with actual client and OLS, but my use of OLS it´s 90% as serial ports decoder and often I need it in the field in rough conditions. If I could use my phone (or a 7" tablet) as a client and connect to the OLS I´m very very eased carrying all the stuff and gain more battery time. Even not need a screen that show 16 channels, with 5 or 6 channels I´m satisfy and then a small screen do the trick.

That was the trigger of the thread. Somebody says that would be great use Bluetooth , I´m very happy with the USB but if somebody implements a stable solution in BT I´m very happy too because improve the complete design. Ethernet or WIFI would be a big improvement too because both do the galvanic isolation (as BT does) and permits use the client far away from OLS board and that would be useful for certain users. I´m very happy too if this was implemented, but none of this improvements in communication port are necessary to use the OLS client in portable OS. Please, let´s put some order hear. One thing it´s extend the client to other OS (does not imply any electronic change to the OLS) and other thing it´s to add other communication channels to OLS. The only improve that I ask in this thread it´s to increase portability in OS, all of rest it´s welcome but not necessary to do the extension to other oses.

Thanks and sorry again for my bad english
Tarloth

Postby arhi » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:54 am

wifi/ethernet require complete redesign. BT will work right now on existing obls. You just need to connect the BT module to the serial port of the obls and write a client for your phone/tablet. There's python client being developed iirc and android can run python hence - there's the client - just add bt module to the serial port of the obls and there you go
arhi

Postby Tarloth » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:56 am

Arhi, where are the python client? I didn´t like too much python but if works it´s good. Thanks for the advice.
Tarloth

Postby arhi » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:09 am

Tarloth wrote:Arhi, where are the python client?

python client is here on the forum, I have not followed how far they went with it but you should try it out. The python client home page has some interesting screenshots so it looks it works.... it might need some tweaking to get it working on android (I'm neither a fan of android nor python so as you might expect, haven't bin using none of them)
arhi

Postby Tarloth » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:35 am

Arhi:

I´m not a fan of android or python, but saddly I can´t buy a very cheap tablet with regular linux installed (or compatible of course). I´m following several users that tweaking his cheap tablets and install ubuntu and if I can do that, Android it´s putting in a garbage bin five minutes latter!. It´s very important to me running OLS in a cheap more portable device than a laptop. THANKS for the client URL I now read this
Tarloth

Previous

Return to Client software