A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby zed65 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Here are a picture of my Unisolder 5.2

unis.JPG
zed65

Postby JJAnderson » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:18 am

I still have spare boards. £6 each plus £4 for European postage. Can fit two boards in one envelope if needed. Use PM to contact me.

The last time I used my Unisolder I have a feeling it overheated the iron when it went to sleep. Wasn't using a stand with standby function and iron left unused in the stand for a good period of time. JBC 245 tip blue and seemed very hot. Station displayed Zzzz...

First time it's been left unused for any length of time makes me a little nervous. Anyone else have this happen?
JJAnderson

Postby sparkybg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:48 am

No one else reported such problem and I cannot reproduce it either. I am using C245 on a daily basis.
sparkybg

Postby sparkybg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:00 pm

Latest - Weller WMRT. Needs slight hardware modification, but works like a charm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHNJuQEw6XU&feature=youtu.be
sparkybg

Postby Iwanushka » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:05 pm

Hello sparkybg,

Could you post schematic for these changes?
Iwanushka

Postby sparkybg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:50 pm

The schematic is the same. two power supply traces on the boars are cut, and two wires are installed. I will post them when I got the time for it. It is a small modification.
sparkybg

Postby electronics » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Hello sparkybg,

I have some questions about your UniSolder 52:

Which program you used to create the PCB layout and which you used for programming the microcontroller ?
Which program could open the PCB layout gerber files ( .gbl, .gbo, .gbp, .gbs, .gd1, .gg1, .gko, .gtl, .gto, .gtp, .gts) ?
Do you know, if the JBC DR 5600 desoldering iron or the AOYUE desoldering iron for e.g. the AOYUE Int474A++ desoldering station is compatible to the UniSolder?
electronics

Postby sparkybg » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:56 pm

I am using MPLAB X+PicKit3 for programming. Gerber files can be opened with most PCB design software. For example http://www.viewplot.com/

I cannot publish the design files because they are not made with free software.

Any soldering iron with thermocouple or resistive sensor can be driven, given the heater's resistance is higher than 0.8 ohm. This does not mean that you can drive it straight away - you will have to make profiles for your irons and recompile the firmware.
sparkybg

Postby JJAnderson » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:02 pm

electronics wrote:Hello sparkybg,

Do you know, if the JBC DR 5600 desoldering iron or the AOYUE desoldering iron for e.g. the AOYUE Int474A++ desoldering station is compatible to the UniSolder?

Yes JBC DR5600 works perfectly. Though it's performance isn't stellar. No fault of the unisolder and may be improved with a better vacuum pump. Unisolder wont control the pump/venturi though. For that you need your own controls. I bought an old Weller DS 801 stripped the soldering iron controller and replaced it with the Unisolder. Works perfectly, just wish the DR5600 nozzles sealed against the heater body better, loose a lot of suction though the lack of sealing.

sparkybg wrote:No one else reported such problem and I cannot reproduce it either. I am using C245 on a daily basis.

I can confirm the same thing happened with JBC DR5600. Left on in the stand. Picked up the iron and tip was blue. Controller in Zzzz... Switched off the controller then back on, temperature 512 deg C. Sleep temp set to 150 deg C. It is like to cotroller just stops regulating the temperature when it enters Zzzz... I think the only thing stopping it heat is the ADC going over range, somehow it is losing the setpoint.

I did have a look at the source code but I'm not proficeint enough at coding to fathom it out. The furthest I got was the case statement that generates the Zzzz.. text by the value of CMode. Can the stand by function be disabled? The shut back temperature works fine when I use the holder with the PCB in it just haven't finished manufacturing a base for it yet.

Otherwise I'm enjoying the controller thank you.
JJAnderson

Postby sparkybg » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:11 pm

I will check the source code again....
sparkybg

Postby sparkybg » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:27 pm

I've just reproduced it. It does it only with C245. I will correct it after I find where the problem is.
sparkybg

Postby JJAnderson » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:59 am

sparkybg wrote:I've just reproduced it. It does it only with C245. I will correct it after I find where the problem is.

Hi Sparky, My DR5600 is just a copy of the C245 iron profile with the power rating reduced. Thanks for looking into it.
JJAnderson

Postby Cr0oK » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:26 am

Hi JJAnderson I would be interested in your experience with the DR5600. Can you share the wiring??
Cr0oK

Postby JJAnderson » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:13 am

Cr0oK wrote:Hi JJAnderson I would be interested in your experience with the DR5600. Can you share the wiring??

Wiring is the same as JBC245 you have two additional wires for the switch which you can use to operate your pump or valve. On the Weller station which I used had a drive transistor for the pump motor already so the switch is just providing base current. I don't think you'd want to switch much more than that by the switch on the iron. Means you need an additional pair of pins on all of your plugs ans sockets.

Iron profile is the same as JBC245 with modified power.

Code: Select all
{
        0x1412,
        "JBC DR5600              ",
        {
            {
                1,                          //Type
                {
                    0,                      //HChannel
                    7,                      //SChannel
                    1,                      //CBandA
                    1,                      //CBandB
                },
                0,                          //CurrentA
                10,                         //CurrentB
                0,                          //HRCompCurrent
                87,                         //Gain
                0,                          //Offset
                {                           //TPoly
                    0,                      //c0
                    43.5,                   //c1
                    0,                      //c2
                    0,                      //c3
                    0,                      //c4
                    0,                      //c5
                    0,                      //c6
                    0,                      //c7
                    0,                      //c8
                    0                       //c9
                },
                1,                          //WSLength
                11,                         //PID_DGain
                (UINT16)(0.3 * 32768),      //PID_KP
                (UINT16)(0.003 * 32768),    //PID_KI
                10,                         //PID_OVSGain
                75,                        //PID_PMax
                130                         //PID_PNom
            },
            {0}
        }
    },

Outer shell (green wire) connected to GND and SENSEB
Heater positive(red wire) connected to Vout1- and SENSEA
Heater negative(blue wire) connected to Vout1+
820R between ID and Vout1+
1K2 between ID and Vout2+
Can't remeber the colours of the switch wires, whatever is left, think they were yellow and black? Also check I can't remember if any of those two wires were initially connected to the heater shell inside the iron. Easy enough for you to measure between shell and both of those wires. If it is you'd need to remove the link so you have a completely volt free switch contact or be aware of it for interfacing with your vaccum circuit.

The desolding iron performance isn't as good as I hoped. I have a Pace SX80 which is probably better but prone to blocking the nozzle. Haven't had that problem with the DR5600. I haven't tried using the Pace vacuum pump with the DR5600. might be worth a try. The Weller pump is much more quiet but I'd rather have suction than worry about noise. The next one I do I'm going to try a venturi to see if I can get a bit more suck out of the DR5600?
JJAnderson

Postby sparkybg » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:02 pm

Spotted it! It was a bug in the PID.c file. A stupid mistake, VERY hard to find.

I've uploaded the latest firmware in the first post. It is mandatory for everyone to download it. It affects all irons, if the current temperature of the iron is above 256 degrees Celsius at the moment the controller goes to sleep.
sparkybg

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs