Really universal soldering controller

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby mrjoda » Tue May 19, 2015 7:39 am

can you post some video where you soldering with iron and where we can see how is temperature stable ? Some sheet of copper or power transistor or something ?

you can write me to one set of unnasembled PCBs, 10€ +/- for set is a good price :)

I have one idea, can you do some modification for encoder ? For example these 3 buttons will be direct temperature memory and with encoder you can set temperature, controll menu and other functions ? I think these buttons arent so good as encoder. You have some free pins i think encoder is a good "option feature".
Last edited by mrjoda on Tue May 19, 2015 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
mrjoda
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:08 am

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby Circuiteromalaguito » Tue May 19, 2015 8:10 am

mrjoda wrote:can you post some video where you soldering with iron and where we can see how is temperature stable ? Some sheet of copper or power transistor or something ?

you can write me to one set of unnasembled PCBs, 10€ +/- for set is a good price :)

I have one idea, can you do some modification for encoder ? For example these 3 button will be direct temperature memory and with encoder you can set temperature, controll menu and other functions ? I think these button arent so good as encoder. You have some free pins i think encoder is a good "option feature".

I was going to ask the same!

How does it detect each soldering iron? How are adapted?

Maybe you can get a review from a site such as EEVblog, he can probably buy it or some of their forum users do a little crowdfunding.

Dave is an australian EE and does extensive video reviews and teardowns of everything. Dave did some hardware (uCurrent is quite popular), but more confused on videos and participatrs The Amp Hour. He's a bit of an angry nerd and is somewhat politically incorrect, but I'm sure he will be supportive to a hobby project that can make soldering stations more affordable to hobbyists.

Is it Open Hardware? What about putting it at GitHub?
Circuiteromalaguito
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:40 pm

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby TilmanBaumann » Tue May 19, 2015 9:30 am

Circuiteromalaguito wrote:How does it detect each soldering iron? How are adapted?

I was wondering the same. But it turns out that is described on the first page in the feature list.

- resistive instrument identification (upto 625 different instruments can be identified by 2 resistors on the connector)

I had already suspected ID chips and the like. But honestly, resistors are so much more easy. :)

You have to change the plug adapter anyway to be fit. Might as well add two resistors in the process.

Circuiteromalaguito wrote:Is it Open Hardware? What about putting it at GitHub?

Good suggestion. If real collaboration is actually going to happen.

I would love to build one for me. But I would prefer to buy a kit. Or at least the bord.
TilmanBaumann
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 8:03 am

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby sparkybg » Tue May 19, 2015 3:59 pm

mrjoda wrote:can you post some video where you soldering with iron and where we can see how is temperature stable ? Some sheet of copper or power transistor or something ?

I dont have the equipment for this. Temperature stability is as stable as I was able to gat it - it is a question only of firmware and PID coefficients.
mrjoda wrote:I have one idea, can you do some modification for encoder ? For example these 3 buttons will be direct temperature memory and with encoder you can set temperature, controll menu and other functions ? I think these buttons arent so good as encoder. You have some free pins i think encoder is a good "option feature".


As I mentioned earlier, I made the PCB-s of the project for specific enclosures I already had. That's why it uses buttons.

And, it is not that as bad as you thing it is. You will see if you build one. There are 3 fast temperature settings, and they are changed with single click of a button. I am working with these temperatures 99% of the time.
sparkybg
Hero Member
Hero Member
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:30 pm
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby sparkybg » Tue May 19, 2015 4:04 pm

Circuiteromalaguito wrote:
mrjoda wrote:can you post some video where you soldering with iron and where we can see how is temperature stable ? Some sheet of copper or power transistor or something ?

you can write me to one set of unnasembled PCBs, 10€ +/- for set is a good price :)

I have one idea, can you do some modification for encoder ? For example these 3 button will be direct temperature memory and with encoder you can set temperature, controll menu and other functions ? I think these button arent so good as encoder. You have some free pins i think encoder is a good "option feature".

I was going to ask the same!

How does it detect each soldering iron? How are adapted?

Maybe you can get a review from a site such as EEVblog, he can probably buy it or some of their forum users do a little crowdfunding.

Dave is an australian EE and does extensive video reviews and teardowns of everything. Dave did some hardware (uCurrent is quite popular), but more confused on videos and participatrs The Amp Hour. He's a bit of an angry nerd and is somewhat politically incorrect, but I'm sure he will be supportive to a hobby project that can make soldering stations more affordable to hobbyists.

Is it Open Hardware? What about putting it at GitHub?


I know who Dave is. :) I even have some posts on his forum. Me and Dave are both big fans of JBC, so I don't expect big surprises if I send him a set. I've spend much time optimizing profiles for the JBC irons and I can say they will perform no worse than on original station.
sparkybg
Hero Member
Hero Member
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:30 pm
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby mrjoda » Tue May 19, 2015 4:11 pm

Code: Select all
I dont have the equipment for this. Temperature stability is as stable as I was able to gat it - it is a question only of firmware and PID coefficients.


no need some precision measurement, video like your others will be enough, only put iron (JBC or Hakko T12) to sheet of copper or coin . We will see how good reaction have controller :)


encoder - you told me yet about enclosure i accept that of course. My idea for you was add some connector for encoder and modify SW for that, for example with one jumper - connect - use buttons , jumper disconnect - encoder is using - buttons are direct temp. memory
mrjoda
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:08 am

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby Erythros » Tue May 19, 2015 4:34 pm

mrjoda wrote:encoder - you told me yet about enclosure I accept that of course. My idea for you was add some connector for encoder and modify SW for that, for example with one jumper - connect - use buttons , jumper disconnect - encoder is using - buttons are direct temp. memory


I was thinking about it either. Encoder could be nice. But the controller is version 5.2. On videos there is model 5.0. So there probably was one iteration more. That is lot of experimentation. (Moreover that being mark 5.) As we do not have CAD files, only gerbers, to remade whole board with encoder connection would provide gigantic number of possible f**k ups you could do. So better take what somebody else was so nice to prove and be happy about that.

TilmanBaumann wrote: was wondering the same. But it turns out that is described on the first page in the feature list.

- resistive instrument identification (upto 625 different instruments can be identified by 2 resistors on the connector)

I had already suspected ID chips and the like. But honestly, resistors are so much more easy. :)


I remember that sparkybg had some fancy to use 1-wire connected MCU to do the identification. Which is little overkill. I can see the need for MCU when you want to connect somethinkg like accelometer or gyroscope as I have seen Kurtz Ersa doing for sleep function.

Circuiteromalaguito wrote:Is it Open Hardware? What about putting it at GitHub?


Not everything has to be on Github. But stating some license would clarify the issue. Something like "do make it, do not sell it" or "do as you please, I do not care".

sparkybg wrote:As I mentioned earlier, I made the PCB-s of the project for specific enclosures I already had. That's why it uses buttons.


That case is not so bad. It basically is 100x100xsomething box. The biggest problem is to find some toroidal transformer which which would have d=100mm. So far I have found that these smaller diameter and higher toroid cores are mostly for bigger output (about 250VA).
User avatar
Erythros
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:38 am

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby Circuiteromalaguito » Tue May 19, 2015 4:37 pm

sparkybg wrote:
Circuiteromalaguito wrote:
mrjoda wrote:can you post some video where you soldering with iron and where we can see how is temperature stable ? Some sheet of copper or power transistor or something ?

you can write me to one set of unnasembled PCBs, 10€ +/- for set is a good price :)

I have one idea, can you do some modification for encoder ? For example these 3 button will be direct temperature memory and with encoder you can set temperature, controll menu and other functions ? I think these button arent so good as encoder. You have some free pins i think encoder is a good "option feature".

I was going to ask the same!

How does it detect each soldering iron? How are adapted?

Maybe you can get a review from a site such as EEVblog, he can probably buy it or some of their forum users do a little crowdfunding.

Dave is an australian EE and does extensive video reviews and teardowns of everything. Dave did some hardware (uCurrent is quite popular), but more confused on videos and participatrs The Amp Hour. He's a bit of an angry nerd and is somewhat politically incorrect, but I'm sure he will be supportive to a hobby project that can make soldering stations more affordable to hobbyists.

Is it Open Hardware? What about putting it at GitHub?


I know who Dave is. :) I even have some posts on his forum. Me and Dave are both big fans of JBC, so I don't expect big surprises if I send him a set. I've spend much time optimizing profiles for the JBC irons and I can say they will perform no worse than on original station.

Great! Let the party happen!

JBC are from Barcelona, Spain. There's a few good tech stuff in my country, not just wine food and parties :rofl:

What about Open Hardware and GitHub?
Circuiteromalaguito
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:40 pm

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby Circuiteromalaguito » Tue May 19, 2015 4:38 pm

Delete
Last edited by Circuiteromalaguito on Wed May 20, 2015 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Circuiteromalaguito
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:40 pm

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby sparkybg » Tue May 19, 2015 4:40 pm

The case is 130x110x95. At least 3 different 100-120VA torogidal transformers from various manufacturers can go in there.

For example, one of them is polish INDEL.

I am using this transformer:
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/tst100w_24 ... st100013/#
Last edited by sparkybg on Tue May 19, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparkybg
Hero Member
Hero Member
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:30 pm
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby TilmanBaumann » Tue May 19, 2015 4:42 pm

Well 1-Wire ID chips are cheap jelly beans parts.
One could even consider saving cal data on a EPROM in the iron.
But yea, its overkill nevertheless. :)
TilmanBaumann
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 8:03 am

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby sparkybg » Tue May 19, 2015 4:47 pm

TilmanBaumann wrote:Well 1-Wire ID chips are cheap jelly beans parts.
One could even consider saving cal data on a EPROM in the iron.
But yea, its overkill nevertheless. :)


MCU or EEPROM with temperature sensor in the handle is very interesting approach. The TC cold junction is in the iron's handle, so if you read it there, you will get some more accuracy on irons with TC sensor.

And, yes, the ID hardware is made to be able to read 1-wire data. However, the firmware cannot do this for the moment, and I don't know if I will ever make it to do this.
sparkybg
Hero Member
Hero Member
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:30 pm
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby Circuiteromalaguito » Tue May 19, 2015 5:02 pm

sparkybg wrote:The case is 130x110x95. At least 3 different 100-120VA torogidal transformers from various manufacturers can go in there.

For example, one of them is polish INDEL.

I am using this transformer:
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/tst100w_24 ... st100013/#

What's so cool about toroidal transformers? I can borrow regular ones, but not these.
Circuiteromalaguito
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:40 pm

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby TilmanBaumann » Tue May 19, 2015 5:03 pm

sparkybg wrote:MCU or EEPROM with temperature sensor in the handle is very interesting approach. The TC cold junction is in the iron's handle, so if you read it there, you will get some more accuracy on irons with TC sensor.

Oh dear. I hadn't even considered cold junction devices.
Yea, no kidding those would benefit greatly.
In fact Maxim has a nice 1-Wire thermocouple amp with cold junction compensation and all that jazz. ;)

PTC based devices would not benefit. And I suspect those are the majority of devices?
But I think you have greater goals. One board to rule them all.
And I absolutely love the idea. :)
In the end it's just software. Keep it open and stuff will happen... ;)

PS: Looks like thermocouples are quite common. I guess I jumped to conclusions.
Last edited by TilmanBaumann on Tue May 19, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TilmanBaumann
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 8:03 am

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby mrjoda » Tue May 19, 2015 5:10 pm

weller have directly in handle Cold junction sensor, ADC for temperature and opamp, maybe acc or gyro, i cant identify IO. I have picture but i cant find it.
mrjoda
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:08 am

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs