Really universal soldering controller

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby afedorov » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:07 pm

milen wrote:I need help,need some people compiling software for "0" degree rotation, on dafalt in code is 180.

It's actually normal, you need H and V flipped config, try attached files.

milen wrote:I use pickit3 and mplab latest version.
Evry time when i compilin mplab send me much erros.

This is the problem. Recommended XC32 version to use is v1.33, but you also need optimization enabled, which is a paid feature.

I've slightly reorganized the display mod, it is now configured via config.h, common for both bootloader and the main firmware.
CAUTION: It is configured for 180 degrees display rotation, edit US_Firmware.X/config.h to your flavor before compilation.
With all options commented out you'll get default Sparky's configuration, but hex files will not match Sparky's builds because of minor changes (buffer size in OLEDInit(), power graph alignment fix).
Separate patch is also included.
Attachments
US_display.patch.zip
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
UniSolder52_Firmware_DISP180.zip
(793.13 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
afedorov

Postby salavat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi,

Need help.

I was tiding up working set up of my UniS station (soldered wires to V1+&-, V2+&-, Sens A&B&IDs, moved USB connector to back panel, wired OLED display wires, switches, etc, cleaned up flux again), basically nothing major.

Now:
1) I get "NO INSTRUMENT" message. Wires come from back board correctly (I checked it with meter), soldered correctly. My JBC T245 has required resistance on required pins. Yet whether I connect just stand, stand with an iron, with a tip - nothing changes.
2) I cannot get calibration working now. I changed one of the resistors (found somewhere Sparky quoted values) behind potentiometer (since I could not get to 1003, value was too high for the calibration resistor). Now I get around 2000 with nothing attached, as well well with 10 Ohm resistor attached (still the same), adjusting potentiometer does not change anything in calibration mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
salavat

Re:

Postby minkok » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:42 am

salavat wrote:Hi,

Need help.

I was tiding up working set up of my UniS station (soldered wires to V1+&-, V2+&-, Sens A&B&IDs, moved USB connector to back panel, wired OLED display wires, switches, etc, cleaned up flux again), basically nothing major.

Now:
1) I get "NO INSTRUMENT" message. Wires come from back board correctly (I checked it with meter), soldered correctly. My JBC T245 has required resistance on required pins. Yet whether I connect just stand, stand with an iron, with a tip - nothing changes.
2) I cannot get calibration working now. I changed one of the resistors (found somewhere Sparky quoted values) behind potentiometer (since I could not get to 1003, value was too high for the calibration resistor). Now I get around 2000 with nothing attached, as well well with 10 Ohm resistor attached (still the same), adjusting potentiometer does not change anything in calibration mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Check if the tool is identified correct - if JBC240 is on the screen - no identification - check ID pin supply, HSEL and U2, Q10 and Q11
make the same with calibration resistor - check if the ID shows 2525
check also afedorov's voltage table just in case - no identification - digital pots are not loaded with correct data for the working tool :
U14:2 2.1V
U12A:3 2.7V
current through calibration resistor ~380uA, so, voltage drop on it 3.8mV
U16A:2 3.8mV
U18B:5 3.8mV
U18A:3 0V
U13A:1 106mV
U17:3 53mV
U17:6 1.5V
Readings may have some flickering due to tool detection algorithm.
And Please if you changed something from the last working state, return it back
minkok

Postby salavat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:41 pm

minkok

thanks for recommendations. It turns out that I messed up + and - for both heater channels, so it could not even start.

Now it works..almost. I thought I solved the problem I had earlier, but I was wrong. I run out of ideas, please help.

1) Everything works as it should
2) I get into calibration, it shows correct values, etc. Potentiometer changes value in calibration mode. I had to change value for R57 (I believe), because I could not dial to lower value of actual resistor. It was recommended by Sparky in this thread, so I think it does not really affect anything.
3) When there is no tip attached to iron - it shows NO INSTRUMENT, but then briefly changes to C245 and back. That happens constantly. In C245 screen it shows 'heater open', which is correct reading.

With tip installed - it gets to heating, sleeping, standby, etc.- no problem.

I thought IDC 10 pin flat cable might cause problems - swapped it to 10 separate wires - the same problem.
Reflowed both front and board for this IDC socket. Did not helped.
Checked correct wiring from the outer socket to parts on back board for heaters, sense and id wires - OK.
Checked connections from IDC socket on front coming to certain parts - OK.

I have some spare parts or can get spares (unless they are very rare ones), so feel free to suggest which ones could be causing this weird error so that I can just replace them to see whether it solves the issue.

Thanks!
salavat

Postby minkok » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:47 pm

salavat wrote:[b]

When there is no tip attached to iron - it shows NO INSTRUMENT, but then briefly changes to C245 and back. That happens constantly. In C245 screen it shows 'heater open', which is correct reading.

With tip installed - it gets to heating, sleeping, standby, etc.- no problem.Thanks!

Try to re solder pin30/U5, R24, check for 3.3V at ID line without ID resistors, re solder U2, check connections of Q10 and Q11,
and of course ID resistors ( check for a short b/n ID resistors and connector - if you use metal one).
For re soldering use an iron.
minkok

Postby usanyken » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:38 am

Hi,
Can I use a 18V power tool battery (or 6*18650 lithium ion battery) for unisolder 5.2 to drive JBC C245?
usanyken

Postby minkok » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:44 am

usanyken wrote:Hi,
Can I use a 18V power tool battery (or 6*18650 lithium ion battery) for unisolder 5.2 to drive JBC C245?

if the meaning of "use" is constant soldering and let say you use a 1mm tip, estimated power of 6x batt. in serial is 10W /h -
do not expect more than 30min - all that is estimated.
minkok

Postby usanyken » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:12 pm

minkok wrote:
usanyken wrote:Hi,

if the meaning of "use" is constant soldering and let say you use a 1mm tip, estimated power of 6x batt. in serial is 10W /h -
do not expect more than 30min - all that is estimated.

It means can not use batteries instead of Toroidal Transformer for normal use?
usanyken

Postby salavat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:37 pm

minkok wrote:Try to re solder pin30/U5, R24, check for 3.3V at ID line without ID resistors, re solder U2, check connections of Q10 and Q11,
and of course ID resistors ( check for a short b/n ID resistors and connector - if you use metal one).

minkok, thank you very much! Somehow it did work)) particularly after extensive clean up of the flux))).

However.. (I seem to collect all possible mistakes))) standby does not work with HT (high thermal) tip.. It does work with both clones and original JBC tips (at the stand going to sleep, then standby mode and off then). It does not work with JBC C245-966 tip, station does not go standby mode (switches off to Zzzzz).

If any of you use JBC HT tips, can you confirm please that with that type of the tip it goes to standby mode?
salavat

Postby Fredd00 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:56 pm

Thanks for this project, looking forwards to build one.
Fredd00

Postby minkok » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:15 am

salavat wrote:
minkok wrote:Try to re solder pin30/U5, R24, check for 3.3V at ID line without ID resistors, re solder U2, check connections of Q10 and Q11,

Somehow it did work)) particularly after extensive clean up of the flux))).

However.. (I seem to collect all possible mistakes)))

Cleaning is not equal to fixing in that case, possibly it will come back. The rest of your problems are from soldering.
minkok

Postby salavat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:47 am

minkok, for sure my problems are from bad joints and shorting back board accidentally, thanks again for pointing out spots for resoldering.

I double checked my 'ht tip does not go to standby' problem, it appears that it is an effect from sleep board or bad joints to it somewhere. If I put 'holder off' and the rest stays the same (sleep =1 min, stay = 3 min) HT tip perfectly goes to standby mode.

PS. Screenshot with error reading peaks why HT tip does not go to stdby mode:
Attachments
Снимок экрана 2019-04-09 в 14.57.03.jpg
salavat

Postby minkok » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:06 pm

Ones you spot problems, it is better to try to fix them.
Touch sensing circuit is a very simple, you can find the schematics here - nothing complicated :)
minkok

Postby salavat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:42 pm

minkok wrote:Ones you spot problems, it is better to try to fix them.
Touch sensing circuit is a very simple, you can find the schematics here - nothing complicated :)

What you think could be causing problem with HT tip?
salavat

Postby minkok » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:17 am

salavat wrote:What you think could be causing problem with HT tip?

Do you use transformer or switching power supply?
You have that problem only on HT tip, all the rest are ok, are they?
How long is the cable of the stand and is it shielded?
Try to scope the output of the touch sensing circuit or at least check if display temperature is nervous in both cases with or without " holder off ", after sleep.
minkok

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs